Special toothpaste ---Tooth Decay-Infections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Moonshyne, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Hi all..!

Went to a new dentist today...eeek! A filling had fallen out---tooth decay has been an big issue for me the past few years anyway. Good thing I went in when I did...

My dentist said she couldn't fix the tooth because it was infected ...due to the Chronic Fatigue/fibro! As the disorder causes you not to create enough saliva. So...she gave me a prescription for Penicillin ... (can't fix the tooth til the infection is cleared out-I'm so lookin' forward to that yeast infection I know is a comin'!) and a prescription for a special toothpaste.. called PreviDent..she said it may prevent me from eventually losing all my teeth from the disorder. She said the PreviDent helps strengthen your teeth and also a mouth rinse called PhosFlur OTC. She also suggested I carry a bottle of water with me 24/7 and keep sippin' to try to keep my mouth from getting too dry.

Hope this helps any of you who are dealing this issue too....
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I'll be looking for that rinse too.
    FM has destroyed my teeth!!
    One dentist I saw not too long ago said to me: at this rate you'll need dentures by the time your 50!! (I'm 42)
    and bummmin :(

I brush my teeth more than I should,..and I still keep having problems with cavities.
    Good luck to you!
  3. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Moonshyne,

Take probiotics 2 hours before or 2 hours after each dose of Penicillin. You should not have a yeast problem if you do this. Thanks for the tip on th mouth rinse. I am going to look for it.
  4. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

What are probiotics???

Ask your dentist about the PreviDent toothpaste..you can get it only by prescription! The rinse tho is an over the counter product tho. She said to use both if you can--if you can't get the toothpaste, she said the rinse will still help. And yep, our teeth are definitely an endangered species without these products she said!!!

Good luck & Happy Turkey Day everyone!!
  5. cczub

cczub New Member

I brush my teeth 2 times a day and still get cavities like crazy... I had been dealing with alot of acid reflux(nexium has worked great for that) and with the vomiting it was causing alot of enamal errosion. I will definatly look into this!
  6. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Keep an eye on the Acid Reflux and take meds for it... Mine turned into Barretts Esphogus.... which is acid relux taken to a precancerous level... I have to have endoscopes done annually and am on Prevacid..!