SPECT tests - Will this still show brain damage years after getting ME? TY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lela7, Jan 8, 2010.

1. lela7

lela7 New Member

Can anyone please tell me if they know if brain damage from having ME can still be detected using SPECT imaging after thirteen years of having ME? Are there other tests e.g. maybe PET which can detect signs of effects from ME?

Kind regards

2. simonedb

simonedb Member

dr amen's books about brain functioning and spect should say, I have them but its been awhile since looked at them,I know it shows if there is problematic functioning in the brain, I just can't remember if they use the term "damage" (ha probably my own brain damage).
    I have had an eeg brain test that showed probable head injuries which is true from when I was a teenager and car accidents.
    I would like to get the spect, but inertia kept it from happening, where are you thinking of getting one done?
  3. lela7

lela7 New Member

Thanks for replying. I don't know where I will be getting it done as yet. I still have to convince the doctor with supporting evidence on my next visit that these type of tests can detect damage and/or effects directly related to ME/CFS.

I have read previously in The Clinical .................(something) of ME/CFS book by the Nightingale Foundation that brain damage can be seen as holes in the brain which can be detected using certain imaging tests. I just think it mentioned that over time these heal but I'm not sure. I'm trying to get the book at the moment to read again. Amazon.com has some. Big book.

I have also been reading lately info from the Hummingbirds Foundation

which goes into detail about the findings of the SPECT tests. It doesn't put a time limit on it being detected though and it doesn't mention what tests detect the holes in the brain, it does speak about cerebral flow e.g. "SPECT scans have demonstrated decreased cortical/cerebellar regional cerebral blood flow most frequently in the frontal, parietal, temporal, occipital and brain stem areas of the brain, and throughout the cerebral cortex in M.E. This decrease in cerebral blood flow has also found to be worsened further still 24 - 72 hours post-exertion...... I guess I will have to keep looking for more info on the SPECT or possibly other imagining which shows damage specific to ME.

Thanks for your time.

Wishing you well.
  4. lela7

lela7 New Member

Sorry I forgot to say thankyou for the Dr Amen reference. I actually came across him yesterday when researching on the net and have I found an interesting lot of online tests he provides http://www.amenclinics.com/my-brain-health/online-tests-calculators/
    I will look further into what info he can provide online. I may end up not needing to buy the books.

Kind regards
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

no problem, keep us posted
    I was really into that stuff in '00 when went to calgary and the program myosymmetries for 3 months
    if they were correct in picking up on old head trauma it was probably from like 20 years before at least, so must not have totally healed, probably all that pogoing and skanking in the 80s didnt help.....
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2010]
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Spect scans show blood flow (which can be decreased in ME patients).....MRIs show brain structure and they are the type of test that would show unidentified bright objects (that's what they call the pinprick lesions associated with ME)

and yes, lesions and brain damage can disappear or it can stay there....I don't think anyone really knows why
  7. lela7

lela7 New Member

Thanks AuntTammie

Would it be possible to direct me to where I can find any information in relation to the pinprick lesions associated with ME? I keep searching the internet but I don't come up with anything.

simonedb - Good to see you still have a sense of humor after all you've been through :)

8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

lela....a regular SPECT scan may not detect anything but a FUNCTIONAL SPECT will. in this test, you are required to perform certain tasks and the blood flow to various parts of your brain is measured.

both my MRI and regular SPECT were normal despite 16 years (at the time) of CFS and SEVERE neurological problems.

the pin prick lesions detected in some MRI's are transient and not something i would worry too much about. once the CFS is treated (whenever that's gonna be!) they should resolve.

9. sunkenhero

sunkenhero New Member

my spect showed decreased cerberal blood flow throughout
    3 Brain Mri's showed multiple focul lesions in the frontal lobe and demylinization of the neural sheath that would be seen in an 80 year old person. I was 27 at the time.
    i am surprised I did not get a diagnosis of ME. Does any know a good neurologist in the US who can properly diagnos ME?
  10. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey so who tested you and what were the recommendations then? cus a lot of us might as well just assume we would have problems shown on there and do the treatment....
  11. lela7

lela7 New Member

Thanks ladybugmandy

I will definitely look into the FUNCTIONAL SPECT. Very helpful info about not being detected after 16 years and good to know about the MRI detection.

Wishing you well

12. lela7

lela7 New Member

Hi sunkenhero

Thankyou for tha info. I bet you felt 80 years old too. Hope you are feeling better than that now.

How long ago did you have those MRI's done?