Speech and Memory

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by viscog, May 6, 2006.

1. viscog

viscog New Member

Has anyone had problems with their speech and memory? I am starting to say things in the wrong order and sometimes lose what I'm going to say in mid sentence.
  2. mrpain

mrpain New Member

all the time!! and it seems to be getting worse all the time..
  3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Memory and speech problems aren't unusual for those of us with these disorders. The term "Fibro Fog" means just that: our cognitive processes aren't working at their best.

This is really upsetting to folks (like me) who enjoy writing. I'm just not sure of anything, anymore.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Viscog:
    I have the same thing. I was talking to my sister by phone a couple of days ago and wrong words kept popping out of my mouth and I couldn't get out what I wanted to say without stuttering somewhere.

Fibro-fog.

nyrofan
  5. rohini

rohini New Member

i have noticed in my speech that some words are now difficult to pronounce clearly. and i also make uncontrollabe snorting noices.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2006]
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

It's almost like I've had a stroke or something. The wrong words just come out, or I forget what I'm saying. But then sometimes I'm fairly lucid! I also have extremly poor short term memory.
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Yes, I have those problems and have found that some medications made it much worse. Lyrica and cymbalta both helped dramatically with my pain but made my speech, memory and writing difficulties much greater.

Once they got out of my system, the problems are drastically reduced.

I would say the wrong word, sometimes in wrong order. my memory was terrible and sometimes I couldn't write. It was like my brain knew what I wanted to write but my arm and hand were not getting the message! I would also lose my train of thought a lot. People could talk to me and sometimes I didn't respond appropriately, it was like I was in a daze.

I know from my research that cognitive difficulties are common with fms but I don't need meds that make it worse!

8. BethM

BethM New Member

the other day at work I was desperately tired, but needed to finish out the day. One of the assistant principals came to talk to me, and I was so embarrassed. I couldn't get words out in the right order or even the right words to answer his questions. He looked at me so oddly. I assured him this was temporary and I'd be better soon...

Sometimes I am quite quick verbally, but sometimes I'm a disaster. At that point I just try to stay away from conversations. The one the other day at work was about the worst, though.

Sometimes I become what I call 'noun-phasic', where I can't summon nouns from brain to speech, no matter what I do. Very frustrating. (phasic, as in aphasia, a condition in which the ability to speak and retrieve words is impaired.)

I also find that if I am stressed, my speech gets garbled, too. The calmer I can stay, the better I can communicate, as long as I am not too tired, anyway.

just my experiences!

Beth.
  9. loops1988

loops1988 New Member

hi all i have speech and memory problems as well but only i know about it i hide it from everyone so they all thing im just a silly blonde foregetful doughnut!!! think B/F is starting to realize though

Louise
  10. tlayne

tlayne Member

along with loosing my balance. All are pretty scary. what would you think if a nurse was taking care of you and did those things. I would always try to make a joke out of it, and say something like....I promise I haven't been drinking. The speech, memory, & balance problems are the main reason why I recently had to quit working. Best of luck with you. Hugs, Tam