Speech Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by malinta, Dec 30, 2006.

1. malinta

malinta New Member

I know this topic has been covered in the past. But is anyone having problems with slurred speech? I have had two MRI's, both were fine. My Neuro believes the Klonopin(0.5 mg 1xper day) is the problem. My CFS doctor disagrees. And I'm confused. Thanks!
  2. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Hi Malinta,

Yes I have speech problems, but my MRI's aren't coming back clear I know I have spots on my brain which are getting worse. I also had to go to a speech therapist as a child, and basically I'm reverting to the way I used to speak then, with the exeption that now I'm also using replacement words. What I mean is I say things like "heavy" when I mean "hieght" and so forth. I really have to concentrate to speak sometimes.

I do know that klonopin does slur the speech, I was on it for a while, but quit taking it for that very reason.

Skye
  3. malinta

malinta New Member

thank you for your reply. at least I know I am not the only one still dealing with this symptom.
    Mal...
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My son's speech gets slurred when he consumes apples. They are a great source of salycilates. Pears are zero salicylates. This was discovered from the Ben Fiengold diet.

Also, gaifenesin and salicylates are antagonists to each other. ProHealth has s good article on the Newsletter section. Under CFS.
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

It's a struggle. The DD can make you say one word instead of another, forget basic words, or not be able to speak. I can only speak very quietly most of the time, and not for long. It's exhausting in every way.

I have to make every word count. Instead of asking my brother, "Can you come over here for a minute, please? I need your help with something." I have to say, "Come!" Because I'm not strong enough to yell, I blow two sharp blasts on a whistle when I need to get someone's attention. Sometimes I temporarilly lose the ability to speak, even for a whole morning, so I have to write out what I need to say.