Speech Problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seminolegal, Mar 26, 2003.

1. seminolegal

seminolegal New Member

For a couple of years now, I have had problems in speaking clearly. Speech therapists find major problems. All neurological tests are normal. Has ANYONE else had these symptoms? Thank you.
  2. theimpossibleflute

theimpossibleflute New Member

I don't necessarily have speech problems per se, but I do find it difficult to pronounce some consonants, like c's and k's and hard letter like that. It's only been since I've had presenting FMS symptoms...don't know of anything to do to help it. I know when it starts happening that I'm tired and have been talking too much and it's time for me to take a break...

Good luck...sorry I couldn't help, but at least I can somewhat validate your difficulties!

God Bless,
    Abby M.
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

To some degree. I seem to trip over my tongue, so to speak. I think it is a muscular thing (part of FM).

2girls
  4. jka

jka New Member

i have problems with certain sounds or things coming out clearly.but it comes and goes.

good luck
    kathy c
  5. nancyw

nancyw New Member

I seem to have come up with a whole new language. I may say some words backwards, or mix up the order of words, or my tongue gets in the way and I just mumble/stumble over the words and it sounds nothing like English. Very entertaining to my grandkids; my daughter just rolls her eyes. My favorite saying anymore is, "What the heck was that?". I think this is part of the "brain fog" thing. Good luck!
  6. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

when I don;t get enough sleep, after a couple of days I start to speak a new langauge lol,. I have a friend with a heavy accent and she laughs at me because I sound worse then her. sometimes when I can't think of a word, I start to snap my fingers until I can think of it. "you know the snap snap snap you know? the thing snap snap , it heats things, come on you know. oh yeah the microwavce...
    when I first started to have problems with my speech I became very afraid and withdrawn, my memory gets affected to and my spelling believe it or not. This was very upsetting to me. now I just laugh it off. I do the best I can and I talk slowy if I have to.. this is not an everyday thing for me. I now take klonopin to sleep at night and it helps alot. I'm going to be starting a cell group for women in my home soon and Most of these people are strangers to me. I became a real loner When this illness became worse. Now I only allow myself to be a hermit during a flare..
    when I have my cell group I'm not going to worry about how my house looks or my hair ect ect..I'm learning how to make changes in my life.. two years ago at this time I refused to make any changes, I couldn't let go of my old life. I'm more accepting of how I am now. that doesn't mean I have given up hope. sorry for such a long response, I tend to get off track and get carryed away. LOL now I have a stiff neck.
    God Bles
    Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2003]
  7. healing

healing New Member

interesting that where I find it affects me the most is not in how I speak as much as how I type!! I've always been a fast and accurate typist, but now when I go back and read what I have typed (which I do, now, religiously), I find words transposed and mixed up, strange typos, and words entirely missing. It's not my brain-hand coordination; it's my brain entirely.

Re speech: I am pretty much okay in forming the words, but I frequently have what I call "brain lock" -- I run into a word I want to say and I can't seem to get it out. I just stop! And then I have to wait 'til I can get it out or find another word that will do and can get past my mouth. OR I'll use the entirely wrong word. This is especially troubling to me since communicating orally is central to my job.

I have decided that all this is just to make me humble!! One has to have a sense of humor to get along with this dd.
  8. seminolegal

seminolegal New Member

I appreciate all of your responses to the speech problems issue. It does get much worse at times(during flares) though it has not gotten "normal" in almost two years now. Also, when I first wake up I am speaking my own language for a while. It is like my mouth/tongue will not cooperate in saying what I want to say.

I do have the "brain lock" at times, too, as my speech therapist has seen me "lose words" at times--not know the word I need to say or not be able for a little while to verbally say it while in my brain I know it. Frustrating and tiring.

My best to all of you and God bless.