Speed up Board - delete old posts/log off

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Jul 16, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

One of the best suggestions ever made here was when one of the Moderators said if we have limited time to come here, and want to be sure we answer all posts addressed to us, we should put our screen names into the "search message" slot and then click on the new messages.
    This was a fabulous idea, but I have been here a long time, and when I put my name in there, a TON of messages come up very SLOWLY. Going back and forth, to and from this long list to click on the new posts takes forever.
    Awhile back, due to the slowness on the Board, the head honchos culled the Archives. I would like to humbly request that they do this again. The Board has been getting slower and slower, and for old-timers like me, calling up the messages with our names in them is taking too long.
    Who do I write to and at what address to ask about this?
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2003]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I love you to no end, BUT I disagree with you on this one! It does not take that long for the messages to come up, at least to me. The backlog is so important sometimes that I don't mind the searching and the waiting either.

BUT since this is a democratic society (smile), here is the Webmasters' eaddress; techsupport@prohealthinc.com

I want you to know that it HURT to give you that address :(

Shalom! Shirl

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It must just be my messages, but it is taking 2-3 minutes every time! When I have 10 new messages and have to keep going back and forth from the list, that's a lot of time.
    You are right though, it is still much faster than scrolling through pages and pages of posts wondering if someone has addressed a question to me in there and I am missing it.
    I guess if they really want to talk to me, they will post a new message directly to me, so maybe I should just not check the old stuff anymore, and quit complaining.
    Smiles,
    Klutzo
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The webmaster is aware of the slowness on the board. I believe that may be one reason that our log on's expire sooner than they used to, to free the board up for others when someone has left the board but not logged off. It may be time to upgrade the server again, but I think they are trying some stop-gap measures in the meantime.

There are a couple of reasons you may be experiencing slowness, one is the speed of your computer and modem and the other is the traffic on the board. You may want to try searching when it's not so busy.

I probably post more than anyone and have not had this problem except for a couple of days a while back. I complained to the tech dept. and they were able to speed the board up a little. If you need to contact the webmaster, click on the link below and they will get the e-mail.

I agree with Shirl, our new members are finding the search feature very valuable for researching topics and I would hate to see all this good info go out the window. I know it will be necessary to do a purge again one of these days, but I hope an improved server will mean this isn't necessary.

Love, Mikie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Should we go back and delete some of our old stuff? That would spread out the work load for sure.

Are the newbies using the archives? Sure doesn't look like it by the constant repeat questions, sometimes even more than once on the same page! When I wrote, I suggested making the "New to Message Board, click here" sign larger and a differnt color from everything else on the page.

It's not my computer causing the slowness. We have cable Internet,and I have the Cadillac of computers! It is a custom made clone which has way more features than I could ever need, and it cost more than most complete computer set-ups all by itself. This is a lesson for me in what happens when I send my husband off to buy a computer with the "help" of a friend who is a computer expert, but is also very wealthy and has never had to consider things like price. I almost fainted when he told me how much he paid for this baby!

I'm now sorry I opened this can of worms, but.... here it is almost 3 PM, and my husband is due home at 4:30 and I haven't even done my exercise routine yet, let alone taken a shower and washed my hair. If only this were a bit faster, maybe I would not have to chose between where I want to be (here) and things I have to do (ugh).
    Oh well, it's not really all that important. Que sera, sera!
    Klutzo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am seeing a ton of old messages brought back up to the top months after the thread was started, so I know people are using the search feature, moreso than at any time in the past.

I believe that if we were to log off when we are though using the board, it would probably speed things up a tad.

I also have a very fast computer and a cable fast line, but even with the fastest computer, it is only as good as the speed the modem is currently running at. Even fast lines can have some slowdowns, especially now that so many people are going to them. If your other programs are running at normal speed, then I suspect it is the board.

I know this can be frustrating at times, but we are experiencing growing pains. It is expensive for ProHealth each time they upgrade, so it is a business decision which must be weighed and bugeted for like any other business.

If the board is slow to load, I will get up and do something else for a few minutes and when I get back, the page is loaded. This is good for us anyway to not sit too long. I know this isn't a perfect answer, but for now, it's the best I can do.

Love, Mikie
  7. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

do you leave your computer on all the time, or occasionally reboot? If you leave it on, I'd suggest rebooting once in awhile to clear out the memory.

I will log out when I leave the page from now on, in the hopes that things will speed up! And I don't have a problem going back and deleting old posts. Heck I've only been here 6 weeks and already shudder at wading through my old messages!

Maybe if you ask them to clear out the archives, some of you "old timers" could go through and find messages you REALLY want to save, then cut and paste them (with relevant replies) to a document or text file on your hard drive. I also know deleted posts are still on the server, since I click on my replies and can see the whole thread, though it still says "deleted by moderator".
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I will start to reboot once in awhile, though thunderstorms here in summer usually cause power outages several times per week, so I end up shutting down a lot so my Back UPS doesn't die. In winter I leave it on all the time though...that's a good idea to reboot, though I do have the history set up to purge itself every 5 days, if I remember correctly.

I will also try to remember to log out. I never even thought of doing that!

I think it would help a lot if we could go back and delete posts that don't provide any info, like "bump" posts, and "hi, long time no see" and "don't know any answers, but wanted to say hi", and other stuff like that. Nobody would miss those posts. Now to find the time....

Thanks for all the ideas,
    Klutzo
  9. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

where it says you are logged in as and then your name view and then /edit profile. If you only click on your name view part it will take you to a page of your info and lower down all your posts in date order. Hope this helps, I know I couldn't find posts w/o it.

Take care, Kim

PS, maybe we should post this info as it own topic.
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am going to edit this and change the title right now.
    Klutzo
  11. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I'm also cable connected and I don't have any of the difficulties in the length of time to view that you are mentioning. Maybe it's your carrier? Just a guess. dolsgirl
  12. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

FYI - clearing out your history will only speed up your browser or the time your browser takes to load. The memory (RAM) won't be affected, which is what will slow down the whole computer.
  13. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I found a way today to move a post up. I bump it. Then when it moves down too far, I delete my bumping post, then redo it and that way it doesn't take any more space up, yet gives the late afternoon, then the evening & the west coasters time to see an important post before it rolls to the next page, which we usually don't have the energy to get to. What do you think? dolsgirl
  14. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Or maybe it was only 30 seconds {G} but I thought is wasn't going to make it to the reply page.
    I think I notice it being slower at different times of day. I live on the east coast and when it is 9pm here it is very slow.During the day it seems faster.
    Kind of makes sense that it would be slower in the evening since there are probably more users online. Since I live east I am getting on at the same time everyone else is from 5pm to 9pm. So my guess is that it is the server. Not the connection. My connect speed is around 50,000 bps (no cable here) and it just sort of hangs---no bytes being sent or received for a time until just before a page loads.
    I think remembering to log off would help.
    Growing pains are always difficult.
    This is a great board fast or slow.
    Ziggy
  15. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I always delete multiple bumps from my messages.
    I also wish there could be a more sophisticated
    search method. Date parameters, advanced
    search, etc.

I have cable line and fast computer and I find
    this board extremely slow many times.
    Lynn
  16. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

17. jami117

jami117 New Member

I'm a person who makes frequent use of old postings. It happens when I have a specific question which I remember having been discussed at some point, but I can't remember the details. I also use it to go to personal narratives with which I may not have connected on first read. A month or two later when dealing with a specific situation, I recall a posting I read and retrieve it so I can read it with more care to help me get through my tuff times! Thanks, Jami