Spilled my guts to the VP...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SoxFan, Oct 25, 2005.

1. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I left work early yesterday - I was totally wiped. My boss's boss (my boss in on vacation) came to me first thing this morning to ask how I was doing. She told me she had heard I wasn't well lately. A few of my co-workers know my situation, but my boss and his boss weren't really aware.

She caught me off-guard, and I didn't want her to think I was taking advantage of the fact that my boss wasn't around, so I told her how I've been battling CFIDS for quite some time, and that some days are harder than others. We talked for a good 5 to 10 minutes about it, and I was very truthful about it all. She seemed very sympathetic and understanding, but now I'm wondering if I said too much.

What do you all think about this, friends? Should I have been more evasive?
  2. Krisanna

Krisanna New Member

Lamotta,

You stated it very well. I too tried to keep everything from both my coworkers and my boss. When I finally told him 5 months after it started, I was so sick and ended up being quite emotional. He said that he hadn't noticed any changes in my performance and how I was still very efficient. The statement was true because I had sacrified absolutely everything of my physical health and capability in order to maintain this. I managed to keep things up for another seven months but by then things got so bad I was at the point of collapse. My pain level was probably 6-8 on a daily basis and I had virtually nothing except ibuprofen, Vioxx and a few leftover Tylenol 3's that two relatives "gave me" from when they had there own illness. Even then I was denying my illness and trying never to take any pain killers. I have still not made it back to work 13 months later and am having a bad time with the Insurance Company. The health nurse at my company is not much better. When I last spoke to her she state "We don't seem to be making any progress". As though there is some schedule that needs to be maintained and as though all illnesses progress to complete recovery. I am thankful for the days when I can go and do some errands and I do keep in contact with people at work as well as trying to go out for coffee or lunch with them once in a while.

Document all discussions you have with supervisors in your company so that later if necessary you can clearly show how you communicated to them regarding your health.

Good luck. I know it can be hard at times. The positive side - there are lots of great people around who are really caring.

Krisanna
  3. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

All day long I've felt a sense of peace. I told my husband what happened, and he was really supportive that I told management. He's a manager, so I thought he would think it was a bad idea to divulge so much personal information.

I feel like I am less alone in this with others around me knowing what I'm going through. As I said, the VP seemed very sincere in her concern, so I think this will be ok. I'll take the advice about documenting conversations related to my illness, though. I realize that I have to cover myself here, too. The comment one of you made about it being more difficult for them to get rid of me now that they know I have a health issue was also a really good point.

As always, thanks for being my sounding board!