Spinal cord pain, Anyone else with it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chopindog, Nov 18, 2005.

1. chopindog

chopindog New Member

My main catalyst that brought this DD out of the closet was viral meningitis over a year ago. I have very bad spinal pain. I am not talking about back pain. I am saying straight up spinal cord pain. It ranges from achy, throbing, radiating, creepy crawly like there are bugs crawling up and down it, biting pain, like the bugs are biting my spinal cord, and the worst one of all, Brain freeze but in my spine. These pains also cause my legs to feel very numb and heavy and uncomfortable. I am wondering if this happens to alot of you, or if this is more because of the meningitis. The pain effects the entire spinal cord, not just a couple of discs, although I do get increase pain in one disc or another from time to time. Thanks, Joy
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

my shoulder blades up to my neck at times. Just bad pain, none of the other sensations.
  3. Jeanie101156

Jeanie101156 New Member

But its mostly in my tail bone area and neck. Mine hurts so much sometimes its hard to set. Hugs Jeanie101156
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

My chiro would not treat me when it was at it's worst, and he told me that though I had problems with my spine, this pain was not related to them.

I had the pain thoughout my spine which was always worse when I was upright, I also had severe referred neuropathic pain originating from my spinal cord.

I have various chronic infections including neuroborreliosis which can cause neuropathic pain; this pain throughout the spinal cord has also been documented in ME, the original name for CFS but using a stricter diagnostic criteria.

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/19/2005]
  5. chopindog

chopindog New Member

So There are others out there with it. But it looks like once again the doctors have no idea what to do about it or what its about. Thanks to all who wrote back, I am sorry you all have to live with this horrible pain, but itis always nice to know you are not alone. Kristie, did you just recently get the MRI and have not got the results back yet? And others, have you had any MRI's with negative findings? Also chocolat, I am wondering how things are going with the traumeel, is it still helping as well?
    Thanks,Joy

6. bjt80

bjt80 New Member

I have this too and just recently found out I have Adult Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome and Spina Bifida.( along with FMS, Arthritis, and Scoliosis) These DDs can cause the pain you describe and the numbness and heaviness in your legs, along with problems with the bladder. You might want to suggest to your Dr. that you get an MRI done to find out for sure. I have had this of course since birth and didn't know it, but thanks to an MRI, I finally found out the cause of a lot of my problems.
    I'm sorry you have this pain as I know how bad it can be at times.
  7. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I don't know if you will see this since I am responding so late. Some days I feel to ill to get on the computer. I find it interesting that you mentioned bladder problems. I too have bladder problems. When I was 18 I was inable to urinate for nearly three weeks, I had to self catheterise my self five times a day. Finally I was able to start urinating again. The MDs were pretty much clueless as to why this happened. The lead theory was that I was holding my urine in too much too often and had streched my bladder. When I was in nursing school I myself came up with the theory that it was neurological. I continue to have trouble urinating. My bladder has to be really full to get it started. and I don't think I ever completely empty my bladder. Also if I have to pee, such as at a md appt., I can't do it. I get nervous and no matter how hard I try I can't get myself to pee. Which has caused a problem because I hardly ever have UA done because of this. I ask the doctors to let me cath myself but they won't let me. Are these the problems you have? As for the MRI, I had one done a month after I got the meningitis, the dr said it was negative for any problems. It has been over a year since then, but I have no insurance which means no MRI. I just wonder if they missed something or if something new has came up. Anybody else have this type of problem? Joy
  8. bjt80

bjt80 New Member

I understand about not coming to this site every day as I too feel too sick some days to do much of anything. Since I'm not a professional I can only give you my opinion, but it does sound like you might have Tethered cord syndrome. When reading your MRI they might have been looking for something else and just didn't see a thethered cord. I really don't know. Maybe you could ask them to look at it again since it hasn't been that long ago.
    No, I don't have the bladder problems, but I had to do an ultrasound and a urodynamics test just 2 weeks ago to make sure. My problem is, if I have to go, get out of the way! I gotta go NOW!
    I hope you find out the cause and can get it fixed. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.