Spinal stenosis, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilaclover30, Oct 11, 2008.

1. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I am in sooooo much pain from it. It is getting more difficult to walk and I know when I get up from the computer, it will be awful. My hubby is in the nursing home (just recently) from heart and lung problems and I ache that I can't take care of him anymore. I have devoted years to that and hate that I can't do it anymore.

What do you take for pain? I am on Lyrica, etc, and have jusgt added Tylenol 3 with codine this week. Does not work!! The Dr. told hubby today something about taking caare of it with Rx's. When?????

Love to hear from you about your experiences with it,

Gentle Hugs,

2. lallerb

lallerb New Member

Hi Lila,

Where is your stenosis located? It can be dangerous, especially in the neck. I have it at L1&L2, and I had it at C4-C6. The neck stenosis was treated with emergency surgery for a fusion. I live with the lower back stenosis because it's not as big a problem, but it still gives me pain.

I've taken several meds for pain. The best for me is Oxycontin and Vicodin. I take the Vicodin at about the sixth hour of Oxy because it seems to wear off then. Both meds take the edge off the pain, but never gets rid of it. I find that lowering the intensity a little helps me get through it. Zanaflex helps with the spasms and helps put me to sleep, which is always a good thing. I can't take the Zanaflex when I want to stay alert, though.

At different times I've taken Tramadol, Ultram and Darvon. Nothing worked as well as the Oxy
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

I also have it at c456ish but not surgery, if I don't jump around or do much more than walk or yoga can get by (its also hypermobile) so far but do wonder if surgery would hve gave me more freedom, but had some conflicting opinions and dont know who to believe, so I guess I will know when it becomes emergent if it does (what happend that caused your emergency surgery?)

for pain darvon worked for me usually, I am sorta lightweight with drugs; and lately if you want something nonconventional I have found that low dose naltrexone works really wellfor pain in spine and I also think lithium orotate does too, I just added that in and have been off the other pain medicine since end of jUne, want to try other routes for awhile.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My Mom had spinal stenosis. I probably will not use the correct verbage so forgive me - but she had a really rough time. She ended up needing surgery and once diagnosed, they scheduled it right away. They said she could've ended up paralyzed if they didn't get it taken care of. I think she had C4-C7 fused. Her life before and after are like night and day. She was in so much pain. Couldn't barely turn her neck - it was like bone on bone. She also was having major gait problems. (all related)

Meds I think only mask the the symptoms. Meds for her would've only maybe helped a little with the pain, but not the progression of what was happenening to her body. She had so little spinal fluid traveling through, that's how badly the flow was being cut off.

Mom is 77 - it will be 2 years in Feb since she had the surgery. Like I said, the difference in her is night and day. Once the doc got inside of her- he said it was just a mess in there - lots of "junk" to clean out. We were afraid some of the damage already done might have been permanent - (like to her nerves etc.). She had one heck of a recovery process, but she's doing SO much better now.

What kind of doctor are you seeing?
  5. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I have it in my lower back. Has caused me much pain. For a while spinal injections worked but they stopped. Now I take Lyrica, vultarin, and also hydrocodone for the severe pain when it gets too bad! The Lyrica helps but only started at 300mg and I know it if I miss a dose.
  6. cvbruce2007

cvbruce2007 New Member

I had what's called a Lamenectomy performed on C3, C4, C5, and C6. It was considered an emergency as I could have ended up a quadra-paraplegic had I injured myself in, say, a fall. The operation improved my numbness in the fingers, pain in my arms, and feet, balance and gait issues. But, these were altogether far from totally relieved. I can easily increase the arm, foot, and hand pain simply by picking up more than 30 lbs just once, also taking walks increases the pain which can last from 3 days to a month or more.
    Anyway, I have been taking Hydrocodone and Neurontin for 2 1/2 years. Just a week ago I came across something on the web regarding early studies on nerve pain relief (neuropathy in my case) by increasing my ingestion of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I take 1200 mgs per day, but given that my pain level has decreased, I will be bumping that to 2400 mgs. Probably does not work for everybody, and, who knows, it may be coincidental for me, but I don't think so.
    I feel for everyone out there who suffers pain. I once was in good condition, and now I have lost weight, muscle mass, and cardiovascular efficiency.
    Try this, it may just work somewhat for you. Best Wishes.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member