Spinal Stenosis; nerve entrapment; degenerative disk disease.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cactuslil, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Seems my greatest symptom-maker aside from the cognitive is the spinal stenosis et al.

Why I did not think to ask the question before now amazes me however that being said.....I have "assumed" this was all tied to the FMS/MPC. I went yesterday for MRI of LS due to increased weakness and it seems to be really coming on strong over the last couple of months.

I suppose I am inquiring to verify that this condition is part of the collagen side of the syndrome. I understand the DDD is arthritic and the nerve entrapment is related to the hardening or thickening of the collagen.

Anyone else? CactusLil'
  2. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Seems my greatest symptom-maker aside from the cognitive is the spinal stenosis et al.

Why I did not think to ask the question before now amazes me however that being said.....I have "assumed" this was all tied to the FMS/MPC. I went yesterday for MRI of LS due to increased weakness and it seems to be really coming on strong over the last couple of months.

I suppose I am inquiring to verify that this condition is part of the collagen side of the syndrome. I understand the DDD is arthritic and the nerve entrapment is related to the hardening or thickening of the collagen.

Anyone else? CactusLil'
  3. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Lil I am going through the same thing here email me and I will send you to a great link that has helped me. I am now waiting on a surgeon from the mainland to see if I need surgery, if so i will be put in a HAlo for three months yuck. PS Tonka is growing up and talking, aloha Grammasaviary1@aol.com Ellie
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I just replied to someone else about this (darn short term memory...name is, ummmm, starts with a Z), so you may want to read that post. I have DDD in cervical and lumbar spine. Had surgery on the cervical in 1995. When those nerves get smushed, there is definitely pain. Whether there is a correlation between FMS and DDD I don't know. Sounds plausible, as so many of us have both, in some form or another.

well, I am about to go slap on my TENS unit to calm my lower back, which has been awful for a couple of days, and we are going to the mall! Gonna spend some money! Yay! That always makes me feel better.

Peace,
    Beth.

that post was from Zukes_99, that I replied to. someday I'll find my memory.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2002]
  5. Deana

Deana Guest

I havent talked to you for awhile .
    Sorry I cant help with this one but I think I was checked for Stenosis. Had back problems along with FMS.
    I would think someone here could help though Sorry to hear of you having a bad time with this.
    If your like me you have a bad time all the time.
    Good luck on your research though and hope you find comfort.
    Oh went to your pad again hadnt been there for awhile Looks great youve done well.
    Deana
    deanasharp@kc.rr.com
  6. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I also have the same thing. In 1991 I had my first cervical surgery C4 and C5 level. The next year I had another one at C5 and C6 level. The first one I had I could'nt hang on to anything and such pain. I thought I would have to quite my job. I now have spinal stenosis and cervical kyphosis. My neck and shoulders ache and get stiff a lot of the time. I asked my doctor if it would get better and he said I was as good as I was going get. That's a pleasant thought. On the MRI it showed the degeneration was progressing. I hope I can work until I need to retire. But there are days that I wonder about it.

Wanted to send a (((HUG))) your way today.

Arlene
  7. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I've been told I have degenerative osteoarthritis in
    my neck. Is this the same as spinal stenosis? The doctor
    mentioned C1, c2 and another one that I can't remember
    right now.
  8. depechemo

depechemo New Member

Hi there, I have degeneration of the discs in the lower back which was dx when I was 26 (6 years ago), and also cervical spondylitis (sp) in the neck.
    My lower back pain has become very bad in the last year, with pain around the coccyx, but mainly on a night in bed!
    I am also having pain in the pelvic area and even lower underneath (women's parts etc) like when I sit for a while, so not sure if it is part of the back problem, or gynaecological. both seem to hurt at the same time.

anyone else have this, it feels like either muscle pain or nerve pain with a slightly numbing sensation.

just another thing to worry about!
  9. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

To answer some of the questions.....No, degenerative disk disease can be a cause of stenosis (narrowing) or causing a boney looking 'hook' off the boney part of the bone. This 'hook' (I'm sure it has a real name I'm just calling it what it looks like) can grow, like a spur of sorts, and cause pain et al. to the nerve; also the spaces can loose the watery cushion narrowing the spaces.

Nerve entrapment, as I am using it here and as explained when it was at first confined to the LS area, was due to collagen disease hardening or thickening around the nerves; the end result of a nerve pinched is a pinched nerve in my books...that was my state 5-6 years ago when I first filed for SSDIB. There was no stenosis above the LS and no stenosis either. At that time I was told the pain was due to loss of synovial fluid in the ball & socket joint, primarily in the left at that time, which had been masked by use of Prednisone....and when I tapered off, that is what had been going on. My right knee, ditto.

When upon appeal a year and a half now, another MRI was done and the spinal stenosis was sporatic from C-1 on down; I also had developed degenerative disk disease, probably from arthritis, which I was diag. with 6-7 years ago.

If I did not take pain reliever, 10-500 Lortab, I would be in acute pain. With the Lortab I can stand for short periods of time and do some medium housekeeping. To do any shopping, marketing et al. I need my power chair. To venture out in the back yard I need the chair or a walker.

Right now I feel just all out of snyc and I don't know why; I think some of it is uncertainty and also the dysthymia w/a now major depressive disorder (the clinical depression has a situational problem layering) I feel just plain lousy.
    I had quite the MRI Thursday! It was only of the LS but the procedure plus the contrast lasted 1 hr and 15 min.; the last LS MRI took half that time. I will call the doc Monday. I sure enough hope there is no surgery eminent! I homeschool my ten year old son and the effect of being out of commission would be exceedingly problematic!

Thank you ALL for your answers. My email is PaperbackWriter_101@msn.com. CactusLil'
  10. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I have spinal stenosis, DDD, etc. of C5,C6,C7. I have had 2 surgeon opinions, one nurologist, and a couple of pain management doctors. The surgeons both said that a 3 level fusion would not take on me and that it wouldn't help the pain. The Nurologist also agrees with them. The PM doctors say I need to go to a surgeon that will operate. That I won't be eligible for disability until I have surgery. The PM doc's don't want to treat me until I have surgery and the surgeon told me to go back to the pain management guy. Obviously I don't want to have un-needed surgery. Or surgery that won't help. I also have FMS which the doctors say was caused by my neck.
    I was hoping someone could give me some advise. I don't know what to do. If any of you are in the same or have been in the same situation, please let me know what you would do or did?
    Thanks
    CindyP
  11. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Cindy....post your questions on a separate entry. I believe Paul or someone and others have had cervical problems. I have in the past myself, but I forced myself through the range of motion exercises and I use a "bean" pillor to brace the neck while I sleep. I treat my neck like it is gold..I have hardly been in worse pain that when my neck had a problem years ago...I literally crawled out of my ofice asking someone to call for my gent. friend to come get me and take me to the doc!! Lil'
  12. nova

nova New Member

I too have spinal stenosis. The MD I see does think it is part of the connective tissue disorder (FM), but he is sending me to an immuniologist to see if they can pin point an autoimmune component.

Tara
  13. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Sorry, didn't mean to impose on your thread. My mistake.

CindyP