Spiritual Quotes

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by windblade, May 4, 2009.

1. windblade

windblade Active Member

Everyone welcome to add whatever quotes have inspired you!

I was re-reading one of my journals, where I had copied this:

"Growing in faith is answering daily the whispers and nudges of the Spirit."

- William P. Barker
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love."

-Rumi

Rumi has been a great inspiration to me for many years. Sufi mystic/poet, and I believe the originator of the Sufis.
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Walk your walk of lament on a path of praise."

-Rilke (poet)
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Art has something to do with the achievement of stillness in the midst of chaos. A stillness which characterizes prayer, too, and the eye of the storm..... and arrest in the midst of distraction."

-Saul Bellow (novelist/writer)

(This makes me think of Rafiki and Springwater. I am so thankful for your teachings on mindfulness. On being able to de-clutter my mind from thoughts that have no value - that only lead to dead-ends of worry. ) Thanks to you both, both precious teachers and friends!)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2009]
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I don't have a quote to share...I 'll have to ponder. I also appreciate the teachings of Raki and Springwater, I don't quite have mindfulness down (ok, I'm not even close) But I'm still trying:)

Deb
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Wind! Wonderful!

<3
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

Deb, I love how the teachings of mindfulness fit in so well with the PTSD therapy I'm doing, and also with my religious practice. "Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day"(teaching of Christ), has saved me from thousands of episodes of worry.

Mindfulness helps me be aware of a thought, helps me pin-point them more. I love Rafiki's image of seeing our thoughts as a runaway puppy, that needs to be gently, lovingly brought back. I could never relate to a group of monkeys - too overwhelming. :)

Rafiki -thank you. How good it is to hear from you again! I've missed you so much also. Everyday I'm praying for a solution to those awful mites - for all those suffering this affliction.
    I feel so sad that you have to deal with this, and I'm astonished that you are able to!

Blessings and Peace to you both.
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Beauty is merely the spiritual making itself known sensuously."

-Hegel (philosopher)
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Simply to call forth gifts, to evoke the treasure of personality is to be enablers of others."

"When I become aware of my own gifts, and give my attention to communicating what is in me - my own truth, as it were - I have the experience of growing towards wholeness."

-Elizabeth O'Connor (Writer, Potter)
  10. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Every blade of grass has it's angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow,"

-The Talmud

(Thinking of Rainbow here. )
  11. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Home, where your journey begins...

Charity never faileth..

love to you, Cynthia
  12. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Teaching of Gautam Buddha:

On Thought:
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

On Gratitude:
    Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.

On Love:
    You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Denis Waitley:

Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.

Rabindranath Tagore:

Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven.

Mother Theresa:

Kindness
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

Loyalty
    Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.

Dalai Lama:

Religion
    This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

C S Lewis:

If we only have the will to walk, then God is pleased with our stumbles.

Thoreau:

Vision
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

K....I could go on forever since I found a good site for quotes:) Please don't think I remembered all these...I can barely remember my name!! Rainbow can you pick out yours??
    Dozn...I couldn't find a chicken quote but I looked...lol!

Hugs and Love my friends,
    Deb
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

Those are good ones by William James! I've forgotten how sharp and down-to-earth, and wise he is. The second one about overlooking is resonating with me right now. It's so practical, and peace-making in relationships. I've just put them in my journal.

Deb - whoah! LOL - Lots of good ones there of all kinds. Going to copy my favorites. That Rabindranath Tagore - I keep coming across his name. Going to look him up, and see what he's about. That one about the trees is so enchanting, and endearing.
  14. windblade

windblade Active Member

A response to your quote on 'home'.

"Where are we really going? Always home"

-Novalis

And, thinking of you Cynthia, this reminds me of how welcoming, and nurturing and safe you are!

"How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings."

-Jesus speaking in the book of Matthew.

Blessings to you! Thank you for all the encouragement you give to us.
  15. windblade

windblade Active Member

"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose."

-Mahatma Gandhi
  16. springwater

springwater Active Member

One of the guests, James Van Praagh, a medium, they said he was, said this as a parting quote

"Love one another so you have no unfinished business when you leave this planet".

Yes, would be nice to think one is leaving this planet when one has healed all the wounds that it was possible to heal, whether it was within oneself or in ones relationships with others, or the wounds of others you encounter on the journey.....does seem like a nice life goal to have too...certainly a worthy way of passing time while we march steadily on to that which we all know is inevitable.

God Bless

17. springwater

springwater Active Member

good good thread to have started....bravo.

DEBRA - love the one from the Dalai Lama in regard to religion....

sometimes dogma of my own religion gets me down...Tibetan Buddhism has many rituals and stuff...but knowing the Dalai Lama said "no need for temples or complicated philosophy, religion is kindness"....buoys me up no end!

JUDY

you mentioned Rabindranath Tagore the Bengali Indian poet

here is an all time favourite for me ...this poem of his i think was written when India was trying to shake off the shackles of british rule but it can be applied to any time, any one, any place.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

(Where the Mind is Without Fear)

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;

Where knowledge is free;

Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;

Where words come out from the depth of truth;

Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection:

Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;

Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action—

Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

God Bless
  18. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Ahhh, I like that, from the book of Matthew. Thank you for that.

Also, I know that my eternal home will be the best ever. :)

And, "home is where the heart is."

It can be anywhere really while here on earth, as long as we have love therein.
    Love, Cynthia
  19. windblade

windblade Active Member

I have so enjoyed researching Tagore. A Nobel Prize winner for Literature; I found a conversation of his with Einstein; many of the major poets that I love were inspired and influenced by him - worldwide. What an exciting treasure to find.

I re-read the poem of his that you brought - it is excellent! It took me a while to hear it - his style, it's depths.

And your comments on healing as much as we can within ourselves, and others during our lifetime. Yes!
  20. windblade

windblade Active Member

" True Faith is not like a picture frame, a permanently limited area of acceptance.
    It is like a plant which keeps on throwing forth shoots and growing."

- Swami Prabharananda