Splenda Is Not Bleach But We Are Still Victims

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mme_curie68, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I have a friend (a biochemist) who works at Johnson and Johnson (they licensed the deal with the British company that invented Splenda). He told me they switched a couple of functional groups on cane sugar (how and where, of course, is the trade secret) so that chemically it no longer absorbs in your body. The FAQ on Splenda's website supports the first-hand knowledge I had already gotten from my biochemist friend when Splenda first hit the US Market.

Yes, it does have added chlorine groups. Chlorine groups are found in all kinds of foods. The chemical formula for table salt is NaCl, sodium chloride (one sodium atom, one chlorine atom).

Sucrose, cane sugar's formula is C12 H22 O11 - 12 carbon atoms, 22 Hydrogen atoms and 11 Oxygen atoms.

To make Sucralose, or Splenda, three hydrogen oxygen groups are exchanged for 3 chloride groups. It is not metabolized by the body - it goes in and comes out largely intact.

Sodium, potassium and chloride are all "major nutrients" required by the human body . All three are involved on a cellular level with fluid flow, and absorption of nutrients at a cellular level.

The controversy with Splenda arises because it is covalently bonded (an electron sharing arrangement) with carbon atoms rather than freely ionizing in water, like table salt: Na+ and Cl-. The concern is that the effects of the covalent bonded chlorine with carbon could be toxic, and have been inadequately studied.

What I found MOST interesting is that a lot of the negative stuff out about Splenda, including anti-Splenda websites are funded by guess who? The Sugar industry and their business interests. And vice-versa - the pro-Splenda websites are funded by the Splenda folks.

THAT's what really ticks me off. That diet and lifestyle choices are promoted not by established scientific evidence and informed opinion but by dueling Public Relations firms.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

thank you, very concise explanation of Splenda.

I agree, when the pros and cons are presented by the people who manufacture a product versus the people who manufacture the product it replaces, it is very difficult to winnow truth from advertising.

I use it in extreme moderation, hoping it is a safe product. I've not seen anything definitive either way.

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Rat studies showed shrunken thymus glands and low birth weight, as well as metabolic abnormalities. Other research showed that as much as 15% of the splenda you consume is absorbed into your body, where it breaks down into substances that have not been tested on humans. Human safety studies were small and brief, focusing not on overal physical changes in health, but merely on whether or not it will decay your teeth. This product has been inadequately tested, and the test results that were achieved were downright scary.

Another concern is, so that splenda measures equally with sugar, it contains maltodextrin as a bulking agent. Maltodextrin is in the same chemical class as the neurotoxins aspartame and MSG. These can cause neurological problems, notably headaches, seizures, and mood disorders.

Finally, based on threads we had going earlier here in the past, it seems that fibro patients are particularly vulnerable to adverse effects with splenda. Most commonly reported is an increase in pain. One of our members had a 50% decrease in her pain after cutting out the splenda alone.

From what I have read about this product, both in research studies and from the personal experiences of our board members, splenda is not a reccomended sweetener for us to use.

If you want a substance that looks, cooks, tastes and measures the same as sugar, please consider using xylitol. It's a natural sugar you can buy at the health food store, and it won't alter your blood sugar the way cane sugar would do. It's safe for diabetics and candida patients, and has very low calories.
  4. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

May I add? I know that this is a personal decision for parents, but I'm shocked that is legal for McNeil to market this product to children -- over and over, everywhere. Even sneaking it into products under the 'sugar' looking name:

SUCRALOSE

I just want to ask parents to really think carefully before serving this to children. I'm finding I'm having to taste-test my son's foods & beverages at parties to make sure it's not 'laced' with Splenda. Then I watch the other children gobbling & drinking the stuff up. It could be poison. We don't know yet. Testing on humans was next to nill. Just please think carefully, and check your ingredients panels carefully, as...

... the government has deemed this a 'natural' sweetener and does not force companies to put the warning label 'artificially-sweetened' on the label. They did this against consumer wishes. So just be on the look out for

SUCRALOSE

because it's everywhere. Check your cupboard; you'll be surprised.

P.S. I don't sell sugar :).
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Commercial production of Xylitol involves fermenting corn fiber plant material with bacteria (e-coli) and/or yeast (Candida entomaea, Candida peltata, and Pichia guilliermondiias) a "bio-mass" reaction.

Go to Ask.com and enter "how is xylitol made".

Xylitol may be okay for some people, but it has its pitfalls also. The yeast and bacterial intermediates may be more harmful to those who are sensitive to them than the Xylitol is helpful.

As with all sweetners, I recommend you do your own research and form your own opinion as to each's risk/benefit for you.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. achy

achy New Member

What Sweetener do YOU use?

Cooking and Baking are my passion. Splenda is the only thing besides sugar that can be used in baked goods with the same "outcome" as sugar. Sometimes I use half sugar and half splenda.

I'm beginning to think about just going back to using sugar like I used to.

Since "they" are now reporting that sugar does NOt cause diabetes.....

Ya just don't know WHAT to do anymore!
    Achy
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When adults consume too many carbs, including sugar, flour, rice, and starchy veggies like white potatoes, it can cause insulin resistance which can eventually lead to Type II Diabetes in adults.

Interestingly, those with high blood pressure and high cholesterol who do not respond to medication will see improvement when they go on a low-carb diet.

Baking was always my passion too but I seldom bake anymore. I just don't want the stuff around. I have a drawer full of cookie cutters. When I do bake, I use sugar because I do not believe the substitutes are proven safe. I have used Suzanne Somers' sugar substitute in small amounts now and then. Tests on SomerSweet are still ongoing with animals after years of testing and so far, there have been no ill effects. Still, I think Stevia is the only safe alternative and it has an aftertaste.

Love, Mikie
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I use Splenda - I like it on my corn flakes. I have also purchased Splenda-containing products.

I can't use the potassium based sweetner because I am on potassium-sparing blood pressure meds.

I use honey to sweeten my green tea.

I use cane sugar for baking (not that I bake that often, but I make an occasional pie in the fall).

I was a gestational diabetic in my last pregnancy, 2004 - 2005. I had to inject myself with insulin 6 times a day. At that time, Splenda was my lifeline and products made with Splenda helped me stay "on target" with my blood glucose levels and delivery a healthy baby of appropriate birth weight.

I am comfortable with the data I have reviewed that Splenda is okay - my opinion and my choice. I prefer the taste over nutrasweet. Until I see solid data to convince me to the contrary, I will continue to use it.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

is poison as far as I am concerned. It makes my body go numb everywhere and makes me feel like I am having a stroke. I get this same response with any artificial sweetner I use. I never allow my children to use it either. I check all products even vitamins because it is everywhere. Have to my my son's vitamins at the health food store.