Splenda vs. Aspartame

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tiredohsotired, Jul 12, 2006.

1. tiredohsotired

tiredohsotired New Member

Hi,
    I need some advice and thought some people here might be able to help me out. I know that the diet sweetner "aspartame" is not really good for you but, there isn't much information out there about "Splenda". I have fibromyalgia and I am insulin resistant so I need to cut out the sugar. I don't drink much soda pop anyway and can give it up totally but I drink tons of sweetened iced tea. Replacing the sugar with Splenda should be a good thing right? It is better than aspartame? Does anyone know of any side effects from Splenda? If so, what else can be used to sweeten tea? I do have sweet tooth ;-) Thanks so much for your help.
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Honey, you have more options than you realise! :)

Some here use Splenda, but others find that it increases their pain. To be honest, Splenda has maltodextrin in it as a bulking agent. Maltodextrin is closely related to aspartame. So, it's not realy Splenda vs. Aspartame. Splenda's got aspartame in it, technically speaking.

Now, lets talk alternatives.

You've got three options (as far as I know) for insullin resistant safe sweeteners. Check these out:

Stevia - The "sweet herb." It's the favorite around here. It's been used for hundreds of years. No calories, hundreds of times sweeter than sugar - so you only need a few drops for your iced tea. It's totally natural, totally safe. It's even mildly anti-fungal. You can get it in drops or as powder. Try to avoid the kind bulked with maltodextrin.

Xylitol - my personal favorite! Looks, tastes and measures just like sugar. Few calories, no substantial impact on blood sugar. It's a natural sweetener with documented health benifits. It actually PREVENTS cavities. It's a bit on the expensive side, but very worth it. Start slowly, as it can be laxative at first.

Pure Vegetable Glycerine - this is a clear syrup that's made from coconuts. It's swwweeeeeeeet! It has a mild marshmallow taste.

All of these sweeteners can be found at your neighborhood health food store. Give them a try and see which ones you like best. Personally, I like having all three around. I use Stevia in my tea, because it has a mild herbal taste that compliments it well. I like Xylitol in my warm milk, because it tastes like sugar. I like Glycerine stirred into yogurt because it mixes so well.

Hope you have fun trying out these products. Once again, they're safe and natural, and shouldn't mess with your blood sugar. And, most importantly, they're a guilt-free cure for that deprived feeling.
    ((sweeeet!)) Shannon
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Purely from a taste perspective, Splenda tastes much better than Aspartame. No bitter aftertaste..

Michelle
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

There are many people who are sensitive to artificial sweetners and I am one of them. If I have even minute amounts by entire body goes numb and my vision gets blurred. I was rushed to the hospital at one point thinking I was having a stroke! It took several years to figure out the cause and during that time I was diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis. When I stopped the aspartame and splenda, all symptoms of numbing and blurred vision disappeared. Now I have to check all labels because many products contain these even if they are not labeled "sugar free". For example, I used to chew Wrigley's gum. About four years ago they changed their formula to include aspartame and my symptoms returned. After checkin labels on everything I ate I found it in the gum!
    Artificial sweetners can be very dangerous to those with auto immune illness. It can be confusing because the problems caused by the artificial sweetners can mimic the symptoms of the autoimmune illness.
    I would advise anyone with our condition NOT to use artificial sweetners. Especially those with diabetes. My dad had diabetes and his symptoms were magnified when he used aspartame and splenda. I have read that these sweenters can actually cause weight gain, and I did lose 1o lbs after I stopped drinking diet pop.
    I use stevia which works very well. You can buy it at Whole Foods and other health food stores.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

In Physiology class in college, I learned that Splenda is processed with the use of chlorine...like POOL chlorine.

Personally, I like splenda better, but in MY opinion...the closer you can get to anything in its NATURAL state, the better.

Am looking forward to trying stevia & xylitol!

Good Post! ;)
  6. tiredohsotired

tiredohsotired New Member

Wow, Thank you so much for all the advice. I can't wait to try Stevia, Xylitol and the pure vegetable glycerine. I didn't know I had so many choices out there. I have always used Sweet & Low, Equal and Splenda. With my health situation I need to try a more natural approach and see if my symptoms improve. Thanks again for all your help.
  7. Malen

Malen New Member

I haven't tried Stevia or Xylitol, but I can say as someone with CFS and Fibro I notice a HUGe jump in both my pain level and my CFS-'brain fog' if I consume anything with Nutrasweet in it and very little if any increase with Splenda.
  8. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

or sweet & low for that matter. My kids have never been able to drink diet drinks. I have made them promise to never have it away from home. Frankly, I think it is poison.

I would recommend stevia. You need only a very little bit.

Have you noticed how much more obese everyone has become since they have promoted these fake sugars? They don't seem to be doing the trick from my perception.

JMHO, Lisa
  9. Malen

Malen New Member

The obesity that comes from Aspertame is that your body percieves it like and actual sugar, it races to produce insulin to store all the sugar it thinks you have in your blood as fat, not only making you fatter that way, but it also causes the sugar 'crash' afterwards which kicks in the hungry response and sugar/carb cravings. Vicious nasty cycle.

From what I understand from Diabetic friends, Splenda does not do this, so that is why you'll see a lot of diabetics using it. Not sure about Sacchrin/Sweet N Low.
  10. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

And I have never had any of the nasty afteraffectc that I experienced when I used the others, such as Sweet'n Low and others. No increase in weight, in fact I have lost 39 pounds. (Not from just using Splenda but from doing as the nutritionist instructed, using portion control, etc.)

I just wanted to throw my .2 cents in and say that I use Splenda on a daily basis and have had no bad effects from it as I did with other artificial sweeteners at all. And my blood sugars have come way, way down.