Spoke to my pharmacist, any of you had flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 7, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

she said a lot of people getting antibiotics right now, A LOT!!!!!!!!!!

so, I am wondering about the flu shot thing?

Any of you yet dared to get one this yr?

If so, pls share how it is going?

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

she said a lot of people getting antibiotics right now, A LOT!!!!!!!!!!

so, I am wondering about the flu shot thing?

Any of you yet dared to get one this yr?

If so, pls share how it is going?

Jaci
  3. sybil

sybil New Member

on thursday,i have asthma and it flu could potentially kill me,so i think it is well worth the risk,

sybilxxx
  4. flo

flo New Member

I just dont like the thought of being injected with who knows what. I feel like I have enouh unknown virul things going on so i really dont want to put another unknown agent in me. Last year I had Double Pnemonia 3 times and had to use a nebulizer. it left me with reactive asthma so I wonder if i should or not. I came very close to dying with that phemonia so thats why im debating.What does everyone else think about it?
    Blessings ~ Flo
  5. dlizard

dlizard New Member

take it and I have worked in healthcare for 20+yrs LOL>>>> I've NEVER had the flu either!!!!! Good luck!
  6. fibolady

fibolady New Member

every year and so do my kids (1 grown) i don't think i could handle the flu on top of everything else. my husband was "sick as a dog" last week, he thinks it was the flu. thought it was kind of early for the flu, but maybe not. we all survivied without catching it (that tells me it was probably an intestinal virus or something else) since the flu is so catching.

it is scary especially in these times, to be vaccinated. this is the fist year i have been a little weary.

warm regards, fibolady

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I quit taking them years ago. I believe there is a big danger from receiving contaminated vaccines. Some of our worst problems have come about as a result of contamination.

I'll rely on my zapper to kill off any flu viruses and take my chances.

Love, Mikie
  8. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Yes. If my doc will adm. the shot to me and my son I'll be first in line. CactusLil'
  9. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Probably best to rely on the zapper.....

Mikie, I was wondering, since so many people here are interested in the zapper could you inquire about the site here offering those for sale? Mine is from my neighbor, he built his, he is very handy tho in that way, my wonderful hubby (yes, he is wonderful again and my zoloft has kicked in again so I am a stepford wife again!!!) cannot even take off a light switch plate w/o getting all frustrated, he is an incredible golfer though!!!!

Anyway, could we find a way to provide them, maybe I could have my neighbor make them & just sell them for reimbursement cost & shipping, around $30.00. I know we cannot sell thru the site though, what if the people got the items, we could post the list here, all available thru radio shack & they send me the items, my neighbor & I assemble them & ship them to people & we make no profit????Would that be acceptable as a goodwill service???

Let me know.

Thanks,
    Jaci
  10. witsend

witsend New Member

The flu shot as it's known is for a very specific group of infuenza viruses. They do not protect you from all viruses, colds,etc.... only a limited group of very severe infuenza viruses. Viruses do not respond to antibiotics but you can get a secondary infection from a virus that is cured with an antibiotic. For years I was afraid to get one because I believe my CFDS is an immune disfunction so I was unsure how my immune system would react to it. But then I got one of these bad Influenza virus one winter and thought I was dying. It is unlike any other virus or cold or sore throat I have ever had. I was hardly able to get out bed for a month. At that time I was working part time in the health care field, and was off work for 6 weeks to recover. The following two years I continued to work in this contageous environment and I DID get the vaccine both years to prevent this from ever occuring again and had NO problems with the vaccine. But when I quit work I stopped getting the vaccine. My children are also older and not bringing colds and viruses home with them from the school environment. So every one has to decide this for themself but my decision was based on high exposure to disease and a proven track record of lousy resistance fighting it. So I opted to take the vaccine and suffered no ill effects and it did protect me while I worked with people who were sick. And anyone who is not sleeping well...long enough or deep enough...on a regular basis, usually has less resistance to disease. Good luck with your decision.
  11. G

G New Member

It won't be in my doctor's office till then. Hoping I don't get the flu before then.

I get it every year now after I had an terrible flu back about 5 years ago. Everyone had seemed to come down with that flu and there were hundred sick with it in my area alone. I was down for the count almost 4 or 5 months - too long - thought I'd die. Some in this area did, my husband's uncle was one and an woman whose husband was an member of the club where my husband works. I felt awful and swore that I'd get that darn flu shot every year if I got through that flu.

So, it's worth it Jaci. Hope you get one too.

G

12. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

NO WAY IN THE WORLD WOULD I SUBJECT MYSELF TO ANOTHER FLU SHOT. HAD ONE YEARS AGO, AND WAS 10 TIMES SICKER THAN IF I HAD JUST GONE AHEAD AND HAD THE REGULAR FLU. NOT ONLY DID I THINK I WAS GOING TO DIE, IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD ALTERNATIVE.
    LEA.
  13. megagrace2

megagrace2 New Member

Flu Shot?? ho boy....Any shot kills my muscles--I had a shot of penicillin in my arm a few years back. The pain afterward was incredible. I was leaving the drs. office after the shot, and ran back in because the pain was radiating down my arm so bad. I sat there for a while and then left. Well, my arm hurt for 10 days after! So when flu season came around, I went to the YWCA and begged them to take me into the john and put it in my butt. I had no problem with that shot.= Then last year, I asked my dr. for a flu shot (in the butt)...I got a knot in my butt the size of a cantalope and it stayed for 2 weeks! Maybe somebody ought to teach my dr. how to give shots!! Anyway, I am not against getting the vacine--but. Ohhhh, my butt! I do not want to go through that again!
  14. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

I'm with you. I got flu shots 3 yrs in a row and I had the flu those 3 years. Not like the regular flu-- this was like sick feeling all day long everyday. Nausous constantly. Headaches all day. It was just awful. Missed more work then I would have if I actually had the flu. I won't get the shots anymore and I haven't had a bad case of fle yet either. My son had the same thing happen to him, so he won't get the shot anymore either.
    Darla
  15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Some of us hate this shot, others love it. I'm in the "love it" camp.... I get enough flu-like days without having the REAL flu. I've been getting the flu shot (as has my diabetic husband, and my daughter--she started at age 2) for the past ten years, and our household has been a flu-free zone for that many years. And we ALL were exposed at work, school; surrounded by others who got sick, more some years than others. So I'm a fan... but, again, we are ALL so different in the quirky ways our body systems function, esp. with this disease, and the meds. we take, etc., no wonder we all have various opinions on this subject!

To a flu-free winter for us all, shot or not,
    Pam
  16. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

our kids don't either they always ended up in beed for 2 weeks after theirs. But, every one is different and if you have never had one I'd try it. We have heard that they are better then they were several years back but, we don't have the luxery to try it again. We have been very lucky since we stopped and when we get hit it is for less then 2 weeks, so far. I should probably not say anything because every time I do we get clobbered. Good luck, Kim and Gary
  17. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

HI, DARLA; NICE TO MEET YOU.
    HAVE DISCOVERED AN UP-SIDE TO THE D'D: WE DON'T GO OUT MUCH, WE CFS/FIBRO FOLK, SO WE DON'T ENCOUNTER THE JERKS
    WHO INSIST ON BRINGING THEIR FLUBUGS OUT IN PUBLIC.
    SINCE THE BEAST REARED ITS' UGLY HEADS, I'VE HAD MAYBE 2 OR 3 COLDS.
    SIDE NOTE TO EVERYBODY: MY APOLOGIES FOR THE ALLCAPS; I'M NOT YELLING...JUST TRYING TO SEE WHAT I'M WRITING. IF ANYONE IS OFFENDED, JUST SAY SO, AND I'LL GO BACK TO LOWER CASE TYPE AND THE BRAND-NEW STRONGER BIFOCALS WHICH MAKE HEADACHES HERE...CAN'T WIN.
    LEA.
  18. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

My Dr. gave me one yesterday. She feels it is mandatory in my case because I am at hight risk with the immune deficiency thing going on. And by the way - flu shots do not give you the flu.
  19. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Just wanted to post and tell everyone I got my flu shot yesterday as I have for the past 10yrs or so & I'm doing fine..Sometimes the day after, I feel a little achy, but it's still worth it, because if you get the actual flu - look out..
    I know a lot of you disagree with taking the flu shot..
    But to me, it's worth it, I can't take the chance of getting the actual flu..Those of you that say you have gotten the flu after having gotten the shot for that year, was it actually confirmed by a dr. or hospital that is was the flu..I am not trying to be smart or a wise *ss, just that now days I hear so many people in my community say they have the flu, when all they really have is a common cold or upper resp. infection..You can get many sypmtoms that mimic the flu, but was it the actual flu..
    And yes, the flu shot doesn't mean you will not get the flu, but usually if you do get it, it is less serious..
    I am not trying to make anyone think that I'm correct, just stating what I do know and hear...
    Have a nice day......Take Care........Donna

P.S. You do not get the flu from taking the shot, as some people think..If you are allergic to chicken or eggs you SHOULD NOT TAKE THE FLU SHOT.........
  20. tandy

tandy New Member

My very first flu shot!!My primary convinced me to get one.I was'nt sure about it,and still am not sure.I've asked around and some who have gotten one...have gotten a little sick from it,.Others said they were fine,so I guess its a luck of the draw thing?So far I'm fine,its been 5 days.(not sure if i'm out of the woods yet?)My arm was real sore for a couple days!!Hurt so bad just to turn over in bed!!Thats better now.
    So far so good~
    Tracey