Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by leeeeeeeeeeee, Aug 4, 2008.

1. leeeeeeeeeeee

leeeeeeeeeeee New Member

hi does anybody know of any cfs patients making a spontaneous recovery after a procedure involving a general anaesthetic????
    thanks, leeee
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and it threw me into a flare!
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

When I came to after my colonoscopy, I felt like a million bucks!! And thought I was cured. I never felt so good and slept so good.

I'm actually looking forward to my next one!

Sue in ONtario
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Where did you get to sleep through your colonoscopy in Ontario? This is information that could come in handy!

5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I hate that stuff, it makes me so sick. It's good to know that they can put you out to have it done. I didn't know that. It's nice that you felt better afterwards.
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just had surgery last Fri. I was "out" for about 2.5 hrs. I told the Drs about my FM/CFS and the anesthesiologist said she would use the lightest amt she could.

I felt terrible for about 48 hrs after, muscle spasms all over, weak, faint, shaky, nauseous, sweating, chilling etc. That was far worse than the pain in my shoulder where dr shaved bones.

I'm still feeling weak and yucky, but I was also flared up before the surgery. I'm also taking Flexaril now which makes me all rubbery, so I think it's a combo of all the meds I've had.

Wish I'd been cured from it, but doesn't look that way.
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have recently been diagnosed with cfs along with fms and many other things, but I do terrible when they give me anaesthetic for procedures or surgery. I am glad you felt better after.

8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I had mine done at Oshawa General. It was the twilight sleep, but I was out like a light.

Sue in Ontario
  9. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I'm with you, I actually look forward to my next colonoscopy! Well, ALMOST.

Yes, I don't know what they use but it is GREAT. I'm sure it operates on an entirely different principle than other anesthetics which I hear can cause one to feel terrible after. Whatever it was, it promoted great sleep with a very gentle peaceful awakening afterwards. I wish something like that was available as a sleep aid!

leeeeeeeeee, this is not exactly what you were asking about, but I have heard that sometimes people come out of comas feeling "healed". Makes sense to me that if one were put in a suspended state long enough, they could awaken with their wiring straightened out. The computer analogy works well here I think.
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

When patients opt for local anaesthesia they are often given strong sedatives as well. Strong sedatives are used alone for various invasive procedures; it makes it easier on the patient and medical staff.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2008]
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

brought about a spontaneous recovery. General anaesthesia is not recommended in ME/CFS because it can cause a long term worsening of the illness. After my experience following major surgery with general anaesthesia in January I'm in no hurry to repeat the exercise.

I've had problems with GAs in the past when given at the same time that I had an active viral infection, facial/jaw/neck trauma, and surgery; this combo triggered the onset of my illness.

Leee I'm delighted this happened to you even though I would not recommend it to others.

Some patients with these DDs report a brief period of a sense of increased wellness immediately following surgery with GA; this is thought to be due to being hydrated via a saline drip (thus increasing blood volume) and increased oxygen levels due to use of oxygen during the procedure.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2008]
  12. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I was an Anesthetist and the mechanism would escape me.

However, adequate pain management after and during a procedure might make one feel a good deal better.

I have had colonoscopies with light sedation which went great, but the last one had no anesthesia stand-by, and I was flabbergasted to arrive and find they had no anesthesia covereage for me. The stupid place gave valium? an old drug which leaves one hung over for a long time and destroys veins, and Demerol, which doesn't even effect the pain fibers which carry the pain experienced in a colonoscopy, makes plenty of people PUKE, and is a vasodilator, meaning that the thing makes the vascular system dilate and that is not what one needs when one is dehydrated from a prep.

I went through the colonoscopy WITHOUT ANYTHING AND IT WASN'T FUN.

13. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

wow. i was given drugs to be put into twilight sleep during my colonoscopy but i remained awake through the entire procedure. i wonder if they gave me a benzo...i take benzos to sleep...perhaps i had increased resistance?

i have never heard of CFS improving after anesthetic....maybe your brain was able to enter a deep stage sleep for a whle that CFS patients cannot have?

just guessing...

i have heard of a woman who recovered from CFS after a blood transfusion....

14. leeeeeeeeeeee

leeeeeeeeeeee New Member

HI, this recovery didn't happen to me but I have heard of it happening. The Catch is it only happens in PROLONGED GENERAL ANAESTHETIC (I.E 5 HOURS OR GREATER)and that the more severe your cfs is the less time u need under, the less severe you are the more time you need. The problem is not many people have long surgeries, they are over very quickly as far as i can see the people who make spontaneous recoveries are few but is b/c they were under for a long time. The theory goes that it just COMPLETELY 'RESETS' your immune system.
  15. jillynz

jillynz New Member

A key part of my history is that I had a remarkable remission after surgery. I had a burst appendix that got left way too long and I ended up having a full laparotomy and nearly died. BUT, I did *so* well afterwards, infact I did so well I 'thought' I was well - it lasted 3-4 months. i could do whatever I liked, I drove long distances, met my former husband. It all unfortunately seeped back into me again.I was so dissapointed, you would not believe it .I've described this "ephiphany" to drs and they don't know whether it was the antibiotics or the anesthetic. I actually plumb for the anesthetic, as I had a similar effect (though only for a few days) after breast reduction surgery (thats long surgery too). When 'it' all came back again after this surgery I literally 'felt' it over a morning. I cornered Abjiht Chauduri (Scotland) at a conference in Sydney and he suspected the anesthetic. I certainly now , have no qualms about anesthetics - but thats my "breed" of CFS, i certainly know other who've done badly with them.
    best Jill
  16. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

All I know is I flared after arthroscopy on my knee. I did not expect that! Now I know what everyone is talking about. For awhile I could not even raise up from bed in the morning. This lasted a couple months.

The myofascial pain is still bad, though I work with it now.

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and am not expecting the same results (the flare). I will let you know if it does happen.

I hope it helps with the MPD.

[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2008]
  17. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Forget about sleep meds. I just want someone to put me to sleep with anesthesia every now and then so I can see if it makes me feel better too. :)

"20 20 24 hours ago....I wanna be sedated!...I can't control my fingers, I can't control my brain...Hurry, hurry, hurry before I go insane...Just put me in a wheelchair and get me on a plane...I wanna be sedated!"~ the Ramones
  18. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Hmmm, interesting topic.

I had back surgery 10 years ago - was out maybe 5-6 hours. Anesthesia had no effect one way or the other on my CFS.
  19. sandy1

sandy1 New Member

I had cervical surgery for a disk that was protruding in and blocking the flow of spinal fluid to my brain. Thought I'd found the answer to my problems! Came out of surgery feeling wonderful and it lasted for a few weeks. Them it came creeping back slowly.It was a lovely reminder of days and ways gone by.
  20. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

MIght I suggest for thought that the person who had some remission after an appendectomy may have been having infection problems related to the colon and the appendectomy helped clear them for a period?