Spoof EMails ID Theft

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Scarey! I'm just wondering if anyone has had trouble with these spoof E-mails,,,,,,,I Have an online acct that i pay for stuff with and today i got an e-mail that said i had to update all the account info ~~ Just for security reasons!
    It looked very authenic and just like it was from the real company! It said to click on the link to re-enter all the acct info,,,,,,,,Well i clicked it and my internet explorer said it couldn't bring up the page,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So i went to my acct and asked for help in this update, and Guess what they said it was a spoof E-mail and that they never sent it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They sent me a very detailed instruction e-mail!,,,,,,,,,,,,,These people Had my ID # too ! so just a heads up!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was already a victum of ID theft years ago:( so i try to be very very careful. like i Have a paper shredder ect,,,,,,,,,,,,,Please Be Careful everyone!,,,,,Hugs ,,,,Sydney P.S. I forwarded the spoof to the company and they are taking care of it!
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I've got tons of these from Pay-pal spoofs, a new one is going around for Bank of America, I've seen them for other banks as well. If in doubt, don't fill them out, instead forward a copy to the real website for the company in question and have them let you know.
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

NEVER click on any thing in an e-mail that refers to an account. Always go to the site yourself & then to your account. If you feel somehting is wrong notify them right away.

I was even skeptical of a phone call I got last Feb. 14th. Call was automated & stated I may have had fraudulant charges put on my credit card. The message asked for me to key in my soc sec #. I started to & then quickly hung up before I had all the numbers in. I had no idea if the call was a scam or not. I pulled out my statement & called the 800 # for customer service & questioned this call. Sure enough it was legit! Come to find out someone had gotten a hold of my CC # & ordered, via the internet, $2500.00 worth of sexy undies, $675.00 worth of electronics & then they made a donation to a non-profit orginazation! Totaled $3325.00!!

I filed a fraud report, closed the account & prayed it hadn't gone thru. Luckly it was caught in time. I also put a fraud alert on my other CC account, so now anytime I use it the only shipping address that any vendor can ship to is mine. If I use the card in person I must show photo ID. To this day I have no idea how this creep got a hold of my CC#. The only thing I can think of is someone had stolen it from some place I had ordered thru. What they didn't know is I had done a balance transfer 4 - 5 months before & had stopped using this card.

These creeps will not stop. They keep trying to find ways to steal & cheat you. We must stay on your toes at all times anymore.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm guessing there is alot more ID theft that goes on that no one knows about Until it's to late! Tk~~ Smart thing you did there with your cc's!,,,,,,,,,,,,It just amazes me how on earth they can get the ad's to look so real! in the old days they used to put their money in a jar and bury it out in the yard somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not a Bad idea if you ask me! ,,,,,,,,,And it's so so easie for a worker to get your card #!

I've just decided not to have a CC at all anymore!! Just a Debit!.............S
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I had some guy steal my I.D. and Credit some years ago

only to rec. an angry phone call from him at 3:30 a.m.

one morning calling me a "flake" and demanding I "take it

back"!!! (POETIC JUSTICE?)

P.S. Everyone thanks you for the warning!
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow lucky you! I mean that you got it back before any damage was done! We always get thoes pre-approved cc statements in the mail! and i just send them through the paper shredder!,,,,,,,,But i Have to watch my kids ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Because they just open the envalope tear the papers in half and throw them in the trash!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We Have what we call Dumpster divers in this area,,,,I'm sure there everywhere!,,,,,,,s
  7. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I had a call the other day, some guy asked me about my personal information. Asked where I banked. He told me my routing number which if you tried hard anyone could get but then he asked me to give me my account number.

I asked him if he thought I was ignorant. He said ma'am if you give me your account number you will recieve an all expense paid vacation to disney land. Now you know how I reacted to that..duhhhh

I told him I was not in the habit of giving some slack jawed SOB my life savings so he could spend it on his girlfriend. I also told him he made the mistake of calling someone with caller ID and I had his number he was talking from and the nearest police dept would have that number within minutes,,,,hmmm he hung up... I wonder why...

My problem is some trusting person would of given him that account number and thats sad.
  8. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

well over a year ago I fell for one of those Paypal spoofs.All I can say is Paypal customer service was pathetic. Noone did anything,everyone I talked to said something else and it was a huge mess. All I can say is, I am glad that my bank acct. that was hooked to Paypal had only $2 in it.I had to close the acct. and make a brand new one. A HUGE hassle.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

like the idea of just being your own Banker! Pay everything with money orders and keep your money in a safe deposit box at home! It's just so conveinent to have a Debit or Ccard!,,,,,,,,,,,,,You just have to be very careful! I Know i said that already!,,,,,,,,S
  10. caffey

caffey New Member

When I am contacted and people want personal info.
    1. If they ask for Mr. or Mrs. I tell them they have the wrong number and hang up.
    2. They mispronounce my name. Like it is a hard name. I hang up.
    3. I have to register for something on the net I use my first initial only or some variation of my name or my initial and someone elses.
    4. Never open e-mails I don't recognize.
    5. Also if you have teens becareful. My son got into my bank account once and my brother several years ago.
    6. I don't trust doing business over the internet but my son swears by it. So just be careful. When in doubt don;t do it and call the company.

In Canada with our credit card companies. They monitor your spending habits and if it is out of the ordinary they will call you right away to verify.

Now for the its funny but not funny category. I went to the ATM and made a withdrawal. Looked at my receipt and just about had a heart attack. There should have been more money in the account. It was 8am Sun. I called them. Long story short was the person before me didn't take their receipt and it was theirs that I had.

Like others have said. I use cash as much as possible. Somehow when I actually see the money I am tempted to spend less. Also finding some places will give a discount if you pay cash. Hey every bit helps eh?
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your ideas! lollol on the reciept being not yours!,,,,,,,,,,,Here in the states when you get gas you can run your card through the pump(i'm sure up there to!) but anyway some folks dont take their reciepts that are ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Automaticaly dispenced from the pump! and that's scary because all their CC info is on them to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway some folks are very careless,,,,,,,i'm sure we all have had some sort of scare at one time or another!,,,,,,,,,,,S