Spouse complaining my jerking keeps him awake

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Jun 11, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

OK, so it's hard enough to get a good night's sleep.
    I take 12 mg of Zanaflex to help with that at bedtime.

I know my limbs and other body parts "jerk" in the daytime, but my hubby told me AGAIN this morning that I kept him awake all night "jumping" around.

I told him I was sorry and that I can't help it. "I know" he said. But I feel awful about it. I've even gone over and slept in our spare bed during the week so he can get his sleep for work, driving a truck.

Does anyone else have this jerky problem?
    I'm sure it's FM related...or I'm just a "jerk"!(LOL)

Love you all!
    CockatooMom
    "E"
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  2. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

You're not alone at all! I take Elavil to keep the headaches away and it helps with the waking up (2 or less times a night now compared with 5+ times before) but I twitch to. I've sometimes jerked myself awake. My father didn't have FM but I know he did it also b/c we'd see it if he fell asleep on the couch.
    I don't have a "fix" for it though, I just kinda roll over and go back to sleep. Being single I don't have to worry about annoying anyone else but when I had my Yorkie I did kick her out of bed one night by accident
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I heard potassium was good for restless legs. Wonder if that would help.

I looked at your profile. You know birds evolved from reptiles, right?
  4. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I've done that my entire life, or at least as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's actually fm related or not (at least on my account). I jerk myself awake a lot. My hubby and I have only been married for 2 years, but we have separate bedrooms on opposite ends of the house. We have a wonderful relationship and when I'm feeling better, we "visit" each other.

He snores very loudly and tosses quite a bit himself. Also he's hot and has to sleep under a fan and I can't stand being too cool. It makes me hurt worse. We made the decision to have separate rooms before I was diagnosed. Actually I made the decision because I just couldn't get any sleep in the same bed with him. This way we both get more actual rest when we do sleep. My reading and being up late on nights that I can't sleep doesn't disturb him. His snoring doesn't disturb me and it benefits us both a lot more in the long run. I felt bad about it for the entire first year, but it really is what is physically best for the both of us.

It may not be the right choice for you. Only you can determine that. I can tell you from a personal perspective that our relationship has not suffered for it. We both have times that we feel a little lonely and we'll just snuggle for a while before bedtime, but we just don't sleep well together.
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Usually, the twitching or jerking is now called periodic limb movement, or just the nightime version of restless leg.

It is sometimes referred to as myoclonic movements.

At any rate, mine were diminished by Klonapin, just one mg.

My sleep doc recently started me on Requip, as well, but I don't know if it really helps, as my husband moved into the next bedroom after I smacked the living daylights out of him one night.

My sleep lab, apparently, is something to behold.

When the technician was taking my leads off, she told me she had never, EVER, seen anyone kick, toss, flail, and throw stuff while in the poor sleep patterns which I have. WHEN MEDICAL PEOPLE TELL YOU SOMETHING LIKE THAT, IT IS NOT GOOD.

ADDITIONALLY, WHEN YOUR SLEEP DOC CALLS AND WANTS A RELEASE TO BE ABLE TO SHOW YOUR VIDEO AND PARTS OF THE EEG FROM YOUR SLEEP LAB TO A NATIONAL MEETING OF SLEEP DOCS, THAT ISN'T A GOOD THING, EITHER.

As for your hubbies, take the klonapin, or Requip, or make up the other bedroom.

By the way, my dog won't even sleep with me. She rests at the bottom of the bed, but when I turn out the light, and put on my CPAP mask, she jumps off and sleeps on the floor.
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I don't jerk around at night but my boyfriend does! If he has his arm around me as he's falling asleep, he will convulse to the point that it hurts my ribs! It's the weirdest thing.

Far as I know though, it stops once he's been asleep for awhile. I usually just roll him over when he's twitching so he doesn't injure me. He feels really bad about it.

Hmmm ... now I'm interested ... I wonder what causes it or what to do about it.

I feel for you! I know how odd it is and how frustrating. :) I wish I had some ideas on what would help. Have you asked a doctor/health care professional about it?
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I really hope that doesn't sound as weird as I think it might...

One thing to keep in mind with restless leg syndrome is that not only are you waking your hubby/partner at night, but YOU'RE WAKING YOURSELF UP TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many times a night and you need something to help with this problem.

With a DD like ours, often many things need to be addressed to help just one problem... but lack of sleep and interupted restful sleep is just plain detrimental to our lives.

Please have this checked...

Nancy B.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've seen this post for a few days but tried to contain myself. I can no long stand it.

I would question who is the jerk and I would suggest he move to more comfortable quarters.

Jerky here too,
    Marta
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

when reading the replies!

Boy, I NEEDED that!

I laughed SO hard I went into an asthma cough!!
    I even read these to my hubby...he laughed too.

Yes, when I see the doc on the 27th, that will be one of my questions...does he think I may have restless leg syndrome? I'm sure I do, but will have to have that "documented" as well!

I feel hubby and I NEED to sleep separately. He probably won't mind either, I'm sure.

I see my CRNP about my anti-depressants this week, and she's aleways concerned about my sleep, so I'll mention it to her first.

Thanks for the laughs!
    Love you all!
    CockatooMom
    "E"
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so glad you saw the humor...you really kind of left yourself open on this one.

There were so many ways it could go, from your title onwards.

I really bit my tongue while typing, but I hope some of the suggestions helped.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Nancy