sprouts, superfoods and the way we eat useful to all

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi,

I'm posting something else I learnt on my detox week about the highest energy and most nutrition giving foods:

Types of bean sprouts - alfalfa, adzuki, chickpea, lentil, mung, sesame, sunflower and many more (the white long beansprouts that you can buy in the shops aren't so good as they do something to make them white so growing your own is best or buying other types)

Flowers - nastertiums and others (can add to salads or grow your own! and eat the whole flower)

When food is sprouted - seeds, legumes, nuts and grains - the germination process predigests the seed and hugely increases its nutrient content, digestible enzymes and energy. Some nutrients can increase from 300-2000% as a sprout!

Protein also increases by 15-30% during sprouting. It's easy to sprout your own beans and seeds if you buy them dreid - preferably organic but not always possible. You can eat them in salads, on top of a stir fry but best if they added raw.

Another tip is try to eat at least 50% of your veggies raw and it's very important to eat raw veg / salad before cooked food otherwise your body produces leukocytes which are aimed at fighting infection in response to cooked food. Eating raw food first avoids this.

When eating raw live foods, the enzymes in those foods are able to digest 5-75 of the food on their own.

Enzymes are killed in any cooking or heating process of at least 48-65C Eating cooked food requires your body to use its own enzymes to break down the food and we have a limited supply of enzymes in our bodies.

I'm growing my own sprouts now and am going to make some live hummus from chickpea sprouts.

You can buy sprouting containers or use a jar with a pair of old tights over it. The sprouts must be soaked - usually overnight and then rinsed twice a day. Lots more info on the net though but it's really easy to do and something I think we should all try to help heal our bodies.

2. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

Thank you for the information and tips that you posted.
    I am going to look into this more and see what I can do.
    Sometimes I really crash after eating and this may be the problem with food.
    I will get back to you once I have a little experience with sprouts and super foods.
  3. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Here's a mixed sprout salad recipe I got form the detox week:

1 cup sprouted mung beans
    1 cup sprouted lentils
    1/2 cup sprouted chickpeas
    1 lettuce

Dressing:
    2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 garlic cloves minced
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp fresh coriander or parsley

(you can use any sprouts or buy them in the shops if you cant make them)

Shred the lettuce quite fine and add the sprouts. To make the dressing - mix together all the ingredients and pour over the sprouts.

I ate this one yesterday with a cauliflower dhal curry and brown rice. Making sure I ate the raw sprouts first to aid digestion. The apple cider vinegar also helps and it all tastes really good.

I now ensure I have sprouts or flowers form nastirtiums at least once a day - I'm sure it helps me.
  4. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Yes, I am convinced how we eat is important to this disease(s). The only caution that I know of is that eating raw broccoli will have an adverse effect on the thyroid. Since many of us have a malfunctioning thyroid this is important. Thanks for posting.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2008]