squishy mattress tops?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, Mar 26, 2007.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Any ideas for a great spring mattress with a wonderful padding on top that isn't really squishy and engulfing but provides a nice padding -- I would like padding, like the old fashioned batting they used to actually stuff them with that feels like cotton and wool rather than flimsy, thin foam and rubber.

I tried the foam mattresses and, unfortunately, bought an expensive all latex -- like a hard rubber ball to sleep on. I feel like I'm going to the rack every night.

I'm looking at all the major brands and I feel like Goldilocks -- either tall piles of squish or hard as a rock.

Sigh. Desperate and it's really hard even going to look due to the FMS pain I've already got before I go. Getting on and off those enormous mattresses and tossing and turning to try them out is it's own form of torment. To say nothing of how I feel afterwards and finding the energy to even go in the first place.

I'm sorry but too sick and in too much pain to buy a mattress???? I'm about ready to feel sorry for myself:)

Any mattress suggestions??

Thanks.

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

All I can say is good luck...I'm on my second mattress in 2 years and this one is shot too.

The indentations never go away and before I know it, I'm sleeping in a cave type of hole in the bed.

I switch my mattress around often and even did it sideways this week and already there's a hole where my butt goes from when I sit and read before falling asleep.

I'm not sure what I need to sleep on but the thick mattress top does help my pain, it's just the divet that comes that makes my back even worse. Catch 22 situation...

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. JessB

JessB New Member

I have had the same problem. This one too hard, that one too soft, ahhhh! What I have now is a Therapeutic mattress, a little on the firm side(which alone is to hard), then on top is a Serta 2" nonallergenic foam topper(my PT advised this, works for many of her FM clients). They seem to work together to give support but I don't get lost in the squishness of it all. Good luck, this is a tough search but well worth it when you find something that works.

Keep Hope.
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I am thinking of going the route you both chose -- something a bit firm and if necessary layer it up. I have heard that some of the toppers slip around or wrinkle up. Any problems like that?

I am in such a mess. I went back to the store today and they told me I have to wait 30 days to exchange my mattress. I won't make it and my floor is very cold and drafty. As you can appreciate, something like this can really set me back. To top it off the only mattress in the store that I think I can safely exchange for is about half of what I spent . . .no refunds, of course.

I actually feel a little heartbroken. All that money I can't afford and in the end no great mattress to help me.

Do let me know if the CuddleEwe or the other toppers are creasing up or giving you other problems.

Thanks ladies!
  5. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Louisek,
    Go to Allergyclubbuyers.com

these beds are expensive but you will be getting what you pay for..be aware that most mattress's out there for the general public are very toxic with flame retardents etc. Many of us that have CFS and Fibro also have Multipal chemical sensitivities. This can be a huge problem when going to buy a mattress. I have EI-MCS and have really liked the Northern Nights feather beds from QVC. After out of the box,( or you can wash in large washer ) they are great. I actually have two on top of our bed as I am so allergic to mattress that we had to completely incapsuleate it and this softens it up. Best wishes for you. And if you get a bed from here please jot me a post and let me know about your first hand experience with one..I hope to buy one in the future. Ps. if you do buy from common mattress place..make sure you have 30 day unconditional gaurentee if you are not happy or it is making you ill.
    Hugggggz..Dee
  6. JessB

JessB New Member

I have not had any problems with the serta topper getting any wrinkles or creases. I move ALOT in my sleep, always have, and the only moving the topper has done is maybe an inch per week. I scoot it back when I change the sheets, it moves really easily across the bed. My PT did say to make sure I got at least a 2" topper, said some of the one inch ones just don't give enough support, and anything over 3" can get squishy. I went to Overstock.com, they had some really go prices on all sorts of mattress toppers.

Good luck, we all deserve a good nights sleep.

Keep Hope.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We have a firm mattress that was making us both wake up really sore.

Just before Christmas we bought a 4 inch memory foam topper with a padded cover. I love it. I sleep better and wake up without so much stiffness. Still don't sleep all night and still hurt in the morning, but not as bad.

I haven't turned it at all and haven't seen any indentations in it. When I make up the bed the topper is all flat again like it was before I laid down.

I've come to believe that it won't matter what I do I won't sleep through the night but I still want to be comfortable when I lay awake pondering the strange workings of the world!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  8. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

All really useful information. I'm going to look into the toppers as soon as I get settled on a mattress.

gigglepoet: Sage advice! The one I bought has such a terrible odor! You are so right. I never used to be like this and I didn't realize that bringing a mattress into the house could be so awful. It is also all latex (rubber) which they lied and told me was organic and it is synthetic so it is really awful. Anyway it's going back one way or the other. The Tempurpedic smells so bad to me even in the store and when I tried is a few times I felt like I couldn't get the odor off my hands when I washed them.

I might ask them to air it at the warehouse when I get my exchange. I'm getting a traditional mattress this time and even so the only organic matter in it will probably be the springs and maybe a little of this supposed "cashmere" woven into the synthetic fabric top. And, yes, all the flame retardant and petrochemical everything.

Thanks again all. Sleep tight.
  9. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Hey girlfriend,
    sometimes you can get a bed without flame retardent on it if you can get a script from your doctor. Yes these beds are real real problems! we bought a new one I think ours was a Spring Air. I instantly started aching with flu like symptoms when it was put into the house. We wrapped it well in plastic and still I was sick so here is where I am and this works. Everthing on our bed is 100% cotton. The mattress and box springs are each covered with heavy duty plastic then Aluminum foil insulation..( yes that is right! aluminum foil insulation and then there is a layer of packing tape wrapped completely over both sides. why the packing tape? as it keeps the alluminum foil insulation from splitting or being torn from the movement on the bed. I have free breathing now,no flu symptoms or aching and feel good. I have several cotton mattress pads one that completely covers the top and sides of the top mattress, then my sheets etc with the two featherbeds on top. I have a fitted sheet covering the box springs and then a fitted sheet covering the bottom of the top mattress so the the mattress and boxsprings are not slipping around on each other and not staying in place. This is a lifesaver and again I have
    Enviromental illness besides the CFS,Fibro,EBV,HHVI-shingles,major depression. It is a whole lot of fun! you know I'm making a funny there! Guy's do be very careful when you go to put something new in your enviroment, most times you are bringing in lots of chemicals with it.

God bless and Hugzzzzzz GigglePoet
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I ordered the topper and cover at Overstock. Shipping was free and the whole thing was less than $250. Came with pillows, too, but I don't use mine.

I really like this 4" memory foam, I feel cradled.

Hugzz
    Greenbean