SS Admin. -- Is it true FM has no "number"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedB, Jul 20, 2003.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

Our support group had this mentioned to them one day.

Apparently each disease/illness is marked by a number in Social Security books, but Fibromyalgia has no number?

Is this true? Does this disease not really exist as far as SS is concerned? I'm assuming if this is so, that would explain the reason it is so hard to be accepted by SS. They must be using some other explaination for the ones who have been accepted.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Kathy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is used for FMS even though it really is for RA. It's the closest thing we have.

Love, Mikie
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

administration asking them for the number of cases they have on record getting disability for chronic fatigue syndrome. They wrote back and said they didn't have any statistics, but assumed it was in the thousands. They said that it was hard to compile something like that because CFS is similar to other diseases and disability may have been granted as something else. This may also be the problem with fibro.
  4. DavidTeer

DavidTeer New Member

fm has no medical or clinical testing that can prove disability. There for normally you are turned down twice. Only a judge can make a change and give you disability. this process is observatory. this means that the judge will look at all your records, look at your ability to do certian task such as cooking cleaning. the rest you need the depression, and you ability to comprehend things. As he asks you questionsat your third appeal he is basically observing you also to make a judgement
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

notifying me that I was awarded my SSD. I don't think he really gave a number, but there are a lot of numbers he refers to in the letter. He does state"Although the claimant has impairments which are considered to be "severe" they are not attended with the specific clinical signs & diagnostic findings required to meet or equal the requirements set forth in the Listing of Impairments. Appendix 1 to Subpart P, 20 C.F.R. Part 404. He also refers to SS Ruling 96-6p.

Also, I did not appear in front of the ALJ. I had my attorney request that the judge review my medical records without a personal hearing. So, he judged my case only on the medical records, he never spoke to me or saw me at all.

I hope this can be of some help, if there's anything else I can help you with, please just ask.

Dara