SS lost my claim in the shuffle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Teresa6868, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

This is just another piece of information to pass along about another struggle in our FM lives!!

June 30th was 1 year since I filed for SS disability. I had been calling them weekly for a status.

I finally got a call back saying they had switched to a paperless system the same time I filed and my claim had been lost in the shuffle.
    (The Oklahoma City Office was the Guinea Pig)

Now I have to begin again since she said my paperwork is to old!! I just sat down and cried.

I really hope this does not happen to anyone else!! Ever!!
    Hugs, Teresa
  2. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

Teresa,
    This needs to be brought to the attention to your Congressman, Senator, local TV station and your newspaper.

Sincerely, this needs to be investigated.

Several years ago, a man here in Cleveland applied for SSDI due to having ALS (a fatal disease) and Social Security denied him.

He was a construction worker and Social Security said he could do another line of work.

His wife contacted Channel 5 news here and they documented his physical difficulties - he couldn't dress himself, couldn't open jars, couldn't hold a glass and they showed this to Social Security. It took several months but he got his benefits. He only lived a few months afterwards.

The incompetence of government needs media attention and your Congressman and Senator need to look into this.

Good luck!

Cindy
  3. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

ask for the information about losing your file to be in writing.

I have a gut feeling here that something is not quite right with this and that possibly if you ask for a written notice that they may "find" your file.

I feel that this is just an easy way to get out of something. So they can send the work they should be doing back to you.

Also in all my dealings with SS, no matter what they told me on the phone I always received the same thing in writing within a couple days.

Just my gut talking, but I smell a rat..LOL

In the meantime I hope you did make copies and can just resubmit them with some updating if you have to.

Gentle hugs,

Denise
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  4. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

Her suggestion is another way to hold government accountable.

Cindy
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Sorry to hear about your problem with SSA. Don't loose a
    whole year by having them make you start ALL OVER!! They
    should have offered to "speed dial" your case do to their
    own administrative errors. The information in your origin-
    al file would have been accepted and remained there part
    of your on going case.

As already suggested, I would insist on speaking with the
    Supervisor overseeing your case worker. If you receive no
    satisfaction, write or campout at your Congressman's of-
    fice! I have a feeling the file was lost do to some indiv-
    iduals error. There may well be a quick resolution to the
    problem if questioned respectfully yet vigorously!!

Good luck Teresa,
    MRDAD
  6. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

Thank you so much for the replies.

I was wondering myself whether or not to share this unfortunate incident with my Congressman and the local news. It's just soooooo unfair.

I had made copies of everything already. I learned to do that from this site before I ever applied last year.

If this happened 4 years ago to someone else then how come I was told they were going paperless now? I do smell a Rat too.

It looked to me like everything was proceeding normally, I had gone to their doctor visits as requested back in December and February.

The woman had my file, but the information was "to old now" and that I would have to fill out all the forms she sends me again.

I also have to go to the doctor again and get my medical records to her for review. She needs new, updated, fresh records. (like I feel better now or something)

She said any other examiner would just deny me saying it's been to long since you had seen a doctor. She wants to work with me so I don't have to go thru the denial process yet. How thoughtfull of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your replies, I am all over this and will keep you posted!!!
    Gentle hugs, Teresa

7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I assume that you had an attorney working with you at that
    stage of the process. What does (he or she) respond to you
    concerning this problem with the SSA??

Thanks,
    MRDAD
  8. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

I had contacted a lawyer about the amount of time it was taking. Was told to call a different number at SS.

When I did I was told it was still pending and he sighed, hmmmm that's strange and the very next day I got that call saying it was lost in the shuffle.

I have documented everything and plan to just copy what I already have and will not change dates etc. This whole thing smells fishy.

I will go check out that web site.

Thanks to all you wonderful caring folks!!!
    Teresa