SSA DISABILITY AGAIN SHOWS ITS IGNORANCE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gongee, Feb 9, 2006.

1. gongee

gongee New Member

I really need to vent so I hope this will not be too long.
    I was approved for SSA Disability in Aug. 2005, but did not start receiving my monthly benefits until Dec. 2005. The reason for the delay was that my primary doctor had to sign and fax documents stating I did not need a Representative Payee and I could manage my own money. I thought I would receive my back money shortly after my benefits started but boy was I WRONG!!!
    My lawyer called today to see if I had received my back money because he hadn't received his fee yet. I told them "No" and they said they would call the payment center to see what the hold up was. Well, guess what? They are now holding my back money because the signed paperwork from my doctor stating that I don't need a Representative Payee is no longer in my file and they can't find it anywhere. So now I again have to go to the SSA office tomorrow, sign more documents for them to send to my primary doctor to sign and fax back to them. There wasn't even an apology and they acted as if it was my fault. The gentleman that I had been talking to each time I had a question, was no gentleman today. He just plainly said "The documents are no where to be found so this discussion is over. You just need to come back in and start over again. It's not a big deal, and don't call me any more on this matter." I was furious. It may not be a big deal to him but it is a huge deal for me. I have doctor bills piled up waiting for payment. Maybe I will take them to him tomorrow so he can pay them and see if he says "it's no big deal".
    It's bad enough to be sick, but then you have to put up with this stuff. SSA never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for letting me vent.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

tHE BLACK HOLE OF MISINFORMATION AND SCREW-UPS.

JUST GOING THROUGH THIS TRYING SORT OUT DH'S 'FREE' MEDICARE COVER....(LOL)

lOVE aNNE
  3. suave

suave New Member

HI MY NAME IS RENE IM PRETTY NEW TO THE MB. I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE SSD. IAM GOING TO BE GOING IN FRONT OF THE ADMIN LAW JUDGE REGARD-THE FIBRO AND HAVE SEEN A SCHRINK FOR THE DEPRESSION AND CHRONIC ANXIETY THAT I HAVE. DID YOU GET SSD FOR FIBRO OR CFS. JUST WONDERING. RENE
  4. gongee

gongee New Member

First I would like to thank everyone who has responded to this post. I appreciate the encouragement and understanding.
    I went this morning to my primary doctor and my psychologist and picked up more letters stating that I was capable to manage my own disability funds and did not need a Representative Payee. I then went to my local SSA office, which was a nightmare from the time I walked in. I had to take a number, which was 32, and they were just calling number 6. I finally made it up to the window to talk to someone and at first they said it was out of their hands but when I explained further and showed documentation of where I had received two months of benefits without a Representative Payee, he backed down from acting so high and mighty. He made copies of the letters my doctors had again provided, because I told him he could not keep the originals. He made some other notes in his computer and told me he needed to go talk with his supervisor. When he returned, he said he had been advised by the supervisor to ask me some questions to make sure I was competent. It was embarrassing in front of everyone, but what the heck.
    First question was, "Do you understand what I am saying to you? My answer, "Yes". Second one was "Did you drive yourself here today by yourself? My answer, "Yes". Then he asked me to take him out to the parking lot and show him my car, which I did. What a jerk. The last question was, "Did I understand they were not at fault because of what had happened?" That I could not say yes to. I told him I understood he was not at fault nor myself, but someone in that office or the home office did not do their job. If they had I would not be standing in front of him.
    I could see his face getting red, but too bad. He then said he would make sure everything was straightened out. I asked him would it be 30, 60 or 90 days and his response was 30 days. So we will see. If not, I will be there again but will be talking to the supervisor next time. I also wrote on a piece of paper his name, date/time, what he had said and the documentation he took from me and asked that he sign stating he had received it. He said that was not something they liked to do, but when I told him I didn't like coming in there today either especially to do something that had already been done, he signed the paper. Wish me luck. I will believe it when I see the check.

EtherealGril, the paperwork for your doctor you speak of is a good sign. Just make sure you ask for a copy from them for your records and take it from me, document everything (dates, times, names, places, and what was said and done)

Rene, I also have panic/anxiety disorder along with the fibro and CFS. My lawyer told me the mental part would probably help me win. Not that it is a good thing to have but it did help my case.

Good luck to all of you and again thanks for the support.
    Ya'll are great!!!!!!!!!!
    Sheila
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2006]