Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gongee, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. gongee

    gongee New Member

    I know this is venting but I just have to get this out.
    I was approved for disability in August.I was told I would receive my back money in October and regular checks would start Novemeber. NO SUCH LUCK. My lawyer called today to see if I had received my bad pay (guess he is looking for his cut) I told him I had not received anything.I was told he was going to look into it and call me back. Well, when he called back, I was informed that there was a problem. For some unknown reason to him, the judge that approved me but stated that I needed a representative payee, like my husband, etc., to manage by money. I DON'T THINK SO. Lawyer told me to go to my local SSA office as they needed to talk to me in person. I went this afternoon. The first guy I talked to was very nice. He said that I needed to talk to another lady but he was sure it would be straigten out. WRONG. She was so rude. I was informed that the SSA needed to know by my doctor that I was capable of managing my money and paying bills and that I wouldn't just take my money and blow it. WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE.
    I had to sign a release form for my doctor to sign stating that fact and now I have to wait another 8 to 10 weeks minimum to get any money. Another put off so they don't have to pay out and money.

    The only thing that made me laugh was a sign I saw in the waiting area which read:

  2. XKathiX

    XKathiX New Member

    Unbelievable!!! Where do they come up with this stuff?? Sorry you are going through this, but no that you aren't the crazy one - they are.

    I love the sign!

  3. mhammie

    mhammie New Member

    Sorry you have to go thru all of this. I know that the government makes things difficult.

    There's probably a good reason for the warning sign. Cuz if everyone that gets the run around took action against SSA employees, there wouldn't be anyone working there. LOL!!

    Hope you get your money soon.

  4. buddylee

    buddylee New Member

    sign up to be the payie for the money that I get for my 2 sons. but nothing like that. are you under 18?
    It' could be something you Doc put in you records. Are you bi-poler? that is one question asked about depression questare.
    Or it could be some kind of f-up at SSI office (most likely)
  5. sleepyinlalaland

    sleepyinlalaland New Member

    I actually wrote on my final SS paperwork that I could not balance a checkbook. Well, I haven't had any $ to balance in a very long time, but in the last few years before I filed in 2001, I was so dithered I could no longer keep accurate track of my checking acct...I'd call the 800 number every day to see what my balance was! So to illustrate my cognitive problems I mentioned it on my report. Only after I turned it in did I wonder if it was gonna mean I would need a ...what...a conservator?

    I won SSDI in July of this year and also have not seen backpay, tho I DID get SSI backpay. My attorney also called me last week to hear what I'd heard last. He sounded kind of embarassed and he was trying to tell me it didn't look like I would be getting backpay for SSDI (the larger amount). He was talking kind of aimlessly trying to explain when I had to interrupt him and ask "then what did that SSDI award letter mean?" (the one that specified the amount). Then he did a big relieved whoop.

    When I went to get my letter to read it to him...I discovered WHY he didn't get a letter. Not only did I have MY letter, but the duplicate that was addressed to HIM was sent to me, and I didn't notice that I had both copies till just then. I truly DO get dithered with paperwork!

    Anyway, he said he would get on it right away, because I should have been sent it by now. Now, I'm worried I could be sent through the same hoop as you since I mentioned I couldn't balance a checkbook! (I really do think I can handle money; it's so much easier when you have some and know when you'll get more.)

    P.S. Yes, that WARNING is just too surreal. Funny and sad.
  6. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    you get an emergency check or direct deposit?

    i would go in say you can't make your ren.. that is what i did yesterday i wrote a post on it last night....they can cut you a check directly for under 1k and out the door you go...

    contact your congressman's offfice if you haven't already. they can get the paperwork moving much quicker...and i certainly hope your attorney is moving on it too...

    last year my closed case that i won took from 7/8/04 to january 20,2005 to get paid in my account, which is b.s., but i didn't know anything about contacting congressman's office to help do inquiry and expedite the process some...

    do not depend on your attorney to do everything they can...i think we have to beg and plead ourselves. that is what i had to do. start crying if you need to in person down there it was easy for me because fo all the stress and b eing a single mom...

    good luck

  7. TXFMmom

    TXFMmom New Member

    That may be because there was a fellow in Texas who, having been given the run around regarding his claim, took it upon himself to take a shot gun with him to the office and caused some mayhem.

    I do not recall the specifics and whether he harmed anyone, but for my money, that proved that he really, really had severe mental problems. I do not, however, suggest it as a means to prove your claim.

  8. Huggabugg123

    Huggabugg123 New Member

    Was wondering if one of the things written in your medical file happens to talk about cognitive and memory difficulties? If there is anything like that written or mentioned in your disability claim, that could very well explain why they want someone to help with your money. I am glad that you were able to document that you are able to take care of things for yourself. Let's hope it won't take the 8 to 10 weeks.

  9. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    they can do it! call your congressman's office if you haven't yet and feel out a simple questioniare, easy just need written approval to check on your behalf....

    i know how the darn traffic is so you could call and request to talke to mss i think that is the same as the supervisor...explain your situation. i pray you can get the help asap!

    you could also call your attorney and ask them if they can get an emergency fund...they will give is just the red tape....

    well if you can survive w/o going through the red tape that is great but if you do need a little of your own money don't except the word no!

    but even if you are still ok financially still call your congressman's office so they can get that paperwork moving off the desks to get done for's you money..i don't want to get your blood pressure up, it's probably more me and all of the hassles that we must go through..

    best of luck always


[ advertisement ]