SSA wants me to take a MENTAL TEST?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Jun 5, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Okay just the absolute highlight of my day! I got a letter packet from disability requesting me to attend an appointment for a Mental Test assessment, and I just started to bust out laughing.

I know that this technically is not a laughing moment but to me it feels like a waste of time. I told my mom that maybe I will show up like the man from the movie Silence of the Lambs to the appointment.

I hope it is not the same doc I had problems with when I had to do a physical test for state disability, and go to appeals court to undo her mess.

I know that I am depressed because of all of the illnesses I suffer through, fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue syndrome, IBS, and Depression, and probably something else addition that has not been diagnosed yet. So I figure that is why they want to do the test.

Anyway I will do some research on here to see what to expect at this test.

But please share your thoughts and experiences, as I would greatly appreciate it.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Depression is natural of course when one is in pain, cannot work as a result, and all the outcomes/consequences...

and, from my husband's practice over 20 years as a psychologist, the dx of depression always got pts on disability when they'd had all kinds of problems previously getting it on a 'physically-based' reason.

Also there will probably be a part regarding what you can remember and the like... that will help to further backup impairment due to CF/FM.

hope this helps you feel better about it.
    Victoria

3. findmind

findmind New Member

Standard procedure with SSA...

If you have your own psychiatist or psychologist who maybe rx's meds for you, ask SSA to allow you to have the test done there, as they have experience with you and know your history.

If not, go on and just take the test; its usually 15 min. interview. Just be honest and say you know why you are depressed...it's the illness, stupid!

If its the 4 hr kind of test, they are very hard to get thru without rest of some kind...be sure to ask for it if you need it, ok?

A neuropsychiatrist does better testing yet!

good luck!
    findmind
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I did some research on past posts here and basically everyone thought the mental exam was a big joke and just plain stupid.

There are just so many things SSA does are a big joke.

I read an old post of where someone said to vacuum and do all this stuff before going LOL. Too much to pay for later in pain.

Have to just be honest and real. The test is in the morning so I am sure that I will be nonfunctioning at that time as I usually am and can't walk well.

I feel like I have become some sort of warrior princess since dealing with dumb doctors that don't want to help, and basically anyone I deal with in the medical field that want to give me a hard time, and I fight back as much as I can.

I am not nervous or anything. I am ready to fight them if the time comes for me to do so. *smiles*
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Ya know its like they want us to believe we are nuts and not sick. Like that will scare us away.

I do not think there is a normal person anywhere ,anyhow .LOL

Sometimes it feels like they try to shame us into things so we do not try to get help.

If we all were really mental patience we would have already caused a lot more trouble in our Doctor's office. Or in the Insurance office because we wouldn't care about what they'd do.

Keep your sence of humor about all of it ,that really throws them off.:)
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

that it only took 5 minutes.!linda
  7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Four hours for an examination ok by then I would be rattling the cages like angry monkey. I will ask if I can rest if it turns out to be that long.

They did not say how long it was going to last on there.

However the funny thing is that they include this BRIGHT Neon Yellow warning page saying that you have to GOOOOO to this exam, or they will determine your disability case without the mental exam test. I guess they wanted to get my attention. I am like sheesh I am not stupid, I already read about it several times in their notice on two other pages. OOooooyyy!

LOL this test really should be fun! Woohoo! Hehehehe....

Thanks everyone!
  8. mominpain58

mominpain58 New Member

mine was this guy who sat there and played memory games, etc with me with pictures and building blocks, etc....when i got a copy of his report it said every single thing i'd did and said, for example i was 10 minutes late and he said "she was delightful and apologized, she was well groomed" sooooo i whould have gone in my pajama's and not showered for a week??? i got denied again....
  9. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

In this test I will just be me and that is all that I can do. If I get a bad test then I will appeal.

I already know that I am in the fight for my life with SSA. Between youth, and other factors they look at my physically they will use those against me. However as always I am really to fight.

It is me and against the government literally! Who is going to win? Me. No matter what the outcome is, I will keep going at them and fight and I WILL WIN!

10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

fibrohugslife,

Since you have applied, have you been to a psychologist or psychiatrist for a diagnosis? I was just curious because the last time I applied, they did not ever mention sending me for the mental test. Of course I was denied; maybe that's why? Also, is this your first time applying and have you been denied any at all? Just curious as to how long after applying before this is requested.

Anyway, good luck to you with the mental test. I wish I could give you some advice but I haven't had one.

BlueSky555
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Ya Know, it's just another "HOOP"!! At my "evaluation" I was "twenty mins. early, neatly dressed, with scent of cigarette smoke." Seemed to be quiet the "Historian" because I knew that Abe Lincoln was President during Amer. Civil War and that Andy Warhol painted the cealing of the Sistine Chapel". She must have noticed my Bio. relating to the dual degrees in History and Poli Sci. Get real!! What a joke!! Was amused to walk out the door, past the gang tangs on their building and back on the City bus with people who seemed more real and rational than the people and process I just experienced!!! But get through it. All the best to you!
    MRDAD
  12. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

Hi, by now you may have had this test. It's a hoop, although I haven't had it for myself, my son is autistic and we had to go through them for SSI. In the evaluation on him the psych felt it was necessary to say I slurred my words and seemed "out of it". Imagine that this was just after I was diagnosed myself with fibro and as usual in pain, ha, maybe I could use my son't psych eval for myself! I did not see this test until I needed to use it for his voc rehab (which he never got help from them either!). I was livid and wanted to challenge the guy, but I figured, who cares, my son has his SSI now and he deserves it. And if I am lucky I will slur my words and have word retrieval problems etc. when and if I have to do this for myself! I already do.
  13. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I have actually seen a few psychs both kinds and have diagnosed me as depressed before applying. Now I wanted to continue my sessions but lately I have not been able to drive and move around well. So I have not been able to go.

This is my first time applying for SSI and who knows if I will be denied or not. Like I said in my previous posts I am ready to fight whether I get denied or not as there will always be something to fight for if you are going to deal with the government.

I did not get to look at your profile, not sure what state you are in. I know SSA does different things all over. If they did the same things for everywhere then it would be quite easy for others that don't qualify to slide through the cracks.

Basically you have to expect the unexpected.

<<<<<<<<<<fibrohugslife,

Since you have applied, have you been to a psychologist or psychiatrist for a diagnosis? I was just curious because the last time I applied, they did not ever mention sending me for the mental test. Of course I was denied; maybe that's why? Also, is this your first time applying and have you been denied any at all? Just curious as to how long after applying before this is requested.

Anyway, good luck to you with the mental test. I wish I could give you some advice but I haven't had one.

BlueSky555>>>>>>>>>>>>
  14. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Oh my goodness I have not taken the test yet LOL, I take it in about two weeks. I would be raising hell it was the next day. SSA already hates hearing from me as it is.

I am not scared or anything. Nothing to be scared of. I think my bouts with state disability out here prepared me quite of bit of what I will be dealing with for SSA.
  15. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Just so ya know I am not scared of the test or anything that I have to with SSA. It seems like the state disability procedures out here are quite similar, but the only difference is that I had to do a physical exam which I hope I won't have to do.

Like I have stated in previous posts for my thread I am ready to fight no matter what. If I get denied that I do what everyone does is appeal and bring in an attorney to kick their butts.

Whatever happens happens! LOL

Much love,
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I would think this is a good thing. If Soc. Sec. thinks you have both mental and physical problems, won't that mean you are REALLY disabled.

By the way, Andy Warhol did not paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. It was the great American painter Norman Rockefeller. Just thought I would add that in case it is one of the test questions.

Good Luck!
  17. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I took that years ago .The Doctor after all the written testing says to me" I think something very traumatic happen to you as a child".I said ,no I don't think so.

Then he preceded to show me ink blots and wants me to tell him what they look like.

OK it looked like a butterfly,HIM- NO.me- a flowerHIM- NO we go on like this about the same blot nothing I said was accepted .He became very rude and in a loud, angry voice said "What does it look like?"

Bye this time I was Pi...So I looked him square in the eye and announced "its a shrunken Head". My test was over.:)

Good Luck with yours ,I bet you see a butterfly to LOL