SSD and College

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foxglove9922, Sep 8, 2005.

1. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Does anyone know if it's okay to take 1 or 2 college courses while on SSD?

I want to test the waters and see if I'm well enough to attend something on a regular basis. It's been a long 4 year battle with CFS and I have good and bad days, thankfully more good than bad lately but I would like to see what going to something regularly requiring brain power would do to me as well as further my education to get back out in the workforce again.

Thanking in advance for any responses...........foxglove
  2. jenemc

jenemc New Member

i have a friend who has ra and has been on ssd all her life, she has been going to college and is now working on her masters. i was going to classes with her, but i am now doing mine online, she is now thinking about looking into finishing hers on line also.

but you can call ss department and find out for sure how it will or if it will affect your ssd.

jennie
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

When I got my approval, right away, for ssd I cried. I was so upset that even the government thought I wasnt going to be able to be a productive citizen.

The thought of other hard working people, many struggeling just to feed and cloth their kids, having to pay higher taxes so I can get a monthly check was a hard pill for me to swallow.

I got over the tears and accepted the fact that I was needy and am grateful for the stipence. Im 61 and if I felt good enough to do anything on a regular basis my sense of pride, gratituity and just doing the right thing would make me get a job, any job.

I dont mean to point fingers but I suspect a lot of working people would be really upset to learn someone on disability was capable of attending regular college classes.

That just an opinion from a highly impaired brain. Its like swiss cheese
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I know ssd used to pay for college. Does anyone know if they still do?
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

there is the ticket to work programs, and pass, and you qualify for some sort of vocational re-hab. and yes i do believe ssdi do not want us on ssdi or ssi any longer than possible or else they wouldn't have us do review and fight so darn hard for our disablity.

and going to college to get retrained in something that will be more physically and mentally attainable to work as a productive person on this earth is thier goal. remember when we get apporved we have to show we can no longer do your usual occupation or any the can suggest. and they do realize that at time claimants will get better with time that is why they say off work for at least 12 months to qualify for ssdi or ssi.

check with your unemployment office the may be able to give you advice on vocaitonal retraining such. and you could call your attorney if you used one.

i'm sure you can still collect your ssdi and go to school but it needs to be approved.

good luck

jodie