SSD and waiting period

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blue_eyezz36, May 26, 2008.

1. blue_eyezz36

blue_eyezz36 New Member

I had filed for SSD in December 2004 and was denied twice before meeting with the ALJ in June of 2007...I was also denied then. I have several major diagnosises among them fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, major depression including suicide attempts and now undergoing ECT treatment,bipolar disorder, the onset of metabolic syndrome and possibly type 2 diabetes. I guess what I am wondering is how many of you have had to wait this length of time? and what are my possible chances at this last stage of the process? Any advice would be helpful as I am getting more and more depressed as time goes on. Thanks for listening.

BILLCAMO New Member

At times , it appears that the "game plan" is to make it difficult so that people give up........This "apparent" approach works very often.......

So , don't get depressed and give up !

Slide by the jabs and low blows and give them a solid right hook.....Nowadays , that often requires a good disability lawyer.....

Blessings ,

PS....BTW , I think these posts are supposed to go in the shaded area at the top of the page on the "Social Security Info." "thread".[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  3. landra

landra New Member

Do you have an attorney? Certainly at this stage, you need one. Yes they get a % of your back pay - with a CAP of about $5000. I would not go to Africa and go touring without a tour guide - I could get eaten! Well, your lawyer is your guide through the beauracracy!

Letters from your doctors, explaining how the symptoms make you unable to work, will definately help.

Check the shaded area, soc. Sec. Information - there are websites that specialize in these questions. Disinissues at give individualized replies. There are also leads to sample letters from doctors. Particularly with your depression and bi-poar, if they are not well-controlled by medications, a letter from either your counselor or the psychiatrist will be a big help.
  4. blue_eyezz36

blue_eyezz36 New Member

Yes, I have had an attorney throughout the process..Allsup. I have had 7 different doctors that are still in the process of treating me send in letters and treatment notes...this includes my psychiatrist and therapist. They continually say no that the treatment for depression and bipolar has gotten any better. The suicide attempt and the ECT's have both been since I've been seeing this psychiatrist.

The waiting is just very hard as you all know...for me I was a workaholic before this DD and this has really broken my spirit.
  5. landra

landra New Member

the one I know is disinissues which is a yahoo group. But also check out the thread at the top of the page, there are several web sites listed.

It is incredible to me that you were denied at the ALJ stage. What does your attorney say? Do you think you need to change attorneys?

But, yes, hang in there by all means. The waiting is terrible, but it seems it works out in the end.
  6. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I filed for disability in May, 2007 and received a favorable decision November, 2007. Like you, I had undergone ECT - I had it in January, 2007.

Have you documented the ECT treatments to Social Security? Definitely let them know you received ECT. I think it helped my case. I also used Allsup and they were wonderful. They helped me every step of the way.

Yes, document everything and make sure you see your psychiatrist and/or therapist on a continuing basis. Don't give up! I think having ECT helped me win the case. Good luck!!!!