SSD Backpay vs Old Debts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Sep 8, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I was just curious about anyone's opinion about SSD backpay and outstanding bills that you may owe from the past.

I'm sure that most of us have or have had difficulty paying bills, especially if you can't work and owe bills that were prior to working days.

My question is; can anyone, company or other take monies from your backpay if they know you have filed for SSD and may get some, if you do?

I was under the impression that "indugent" (sp) monies could not be considered.

I hope it's ok to ask this kind of question and really have never thought of it before.

Thank you,

BlueSky555
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

They cant touch your money.Most debt is unsecured anyway no one can touch it.

The only ones I worried about was mortgage (That I no Longer have we sold it)and utilities ,taxes thats it.

Hugs
    Sue
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I was hoping for that kind of answer. It's not a huge debt and it is unsecured but the lady was really rude and told me that I had "opened up myself up for a lawsuit". Geez, it's just a credit card; I thought I had paid all of my debts, except medical of course.

The lady has begun calling me all of the time and my hands are tied.

I suppose the mortgage could have been a problem? I'm happy that you didn't have to be concerned about it.

I'm putting the cart before the horse because I'm a long way from a hearing but I'm one to worry all of the time.

Thank you suzetal; you have made my day,

BlueSky555
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear BlueSky555:

I believe that only the US Govt can take your SSDI payments for owed taxes or previous overpayments on any government program. I also believe that the state can take your back pay for owed child support.

Do you have an attorney? If so, ask. If not go to the SSDI site and see if that answers your question.

Ingrid
  5. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I have had collectors and/or sales people call. Here is the best way to handle it, they never call again. When they ask how you are today (if they don't then ask how they are and they will ask how you are) give them the whole story if need be from the day you got sick. The people are paid on what they collect/sale so time is money to them.

Shannon
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I just wanted to thank you all for the information. I went to the website and read all I could; there is so much, but just couldn't find anything about the backpay, not to mention my eyes are seeing double, lol.

I did find that you have the right to write a letter requesting no further contact and they must abide by it. They can either stop calling or sue you.

txlady, that's a good idea; of course I have already taken up a lot of her time.

Also, these "debt collectors" are supposed to identify themselves as collectors but they don't.

Another thanks to all of you,

BlueSky555