SSD backpayment...how long does this take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ChristineInPA, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Won my case in June. Recd my award letter in July. Recd 1st monthly payment in August.

I have a considerable amount of back-payment awarded. I know the attorney fees come out first. I finally called my attny today. They got their payment from SS back in July!

I did not recv any government assistance during my illness, nor did I work, so there is no need for the back-payment to be adjusted in any way.

How long will it take until I see this money? I called SS and of course they can't tell me anything or give me a time-frame.

Any info would be HUGELY appreciated.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  2. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I wish I could help you, but it seems that if they have recieved there money why haven't you received yours. You need it worst than the lawyers do.Good luck, I pray that you receive it soon.

{{{{soft hugs}}}}
    Angie
  3. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Still hoping for answers...
  4. BrennaBear

BrennaBear New Member

Hi Christine,,,,
    I received my back pay in about 60 days after my approval. If your attorney has already got his part ,,,,I see no reason why you dont have your part yet. If it were me I would be calling till I got my money!!!

Best of luck to you,,,and Congrats on being approved.

Keep us posted!
    Brenna
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Did your money get swallowed up between Harrisburg & your mailbox?

sending best thoughts
  6. DJGirl

DJGirl New Member

I actually got my retro benefits before my attorney did. I got my award letter in June and about waited about a month to get the retro.

I have found that I was able to get more answers if I went into the SS Office and sat down and spoke to someone. You may want to do that, especially if you are expecting a check in the mail and not direct deposit.

Another thing.... when you get your retro they do not give you the entire amount. They hold a small portion of it and give it to you about 6months - 1 year later (why? I don't know). They were holding $2600 of mine and I was in such a bad state, financially, that I went into the SS Office and requested that they give it to me beforehand so I could pay my mortgage. They had me sign some paperwork and within a week I had the money direct deposited.

Keep this in mind. For those of you still waiting for retro $$$ and having a hard time financially, ask for your benefits and tell them why.

Hope this helps!

7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

my attorney got hers way before me. I won in sept of last year. After waiting a month I called my local office and explained That I had had no income for 2 years and had bills to be paid.She looked into it and found they did not even start processing it and could not tell me when my first check would come in.

I started to cry and asked how I would get my money if I was living under a bridge...... days latter I got a check for half my back pay than a month after that the rest plus I knew now when my check would be in the bank.

If you need the money call them you have won and its your money.They will send you a portion of it and you call and work with them.She told me that sometimes the papers get put in someones pile and at times they don't take the time to get the ball rolling.Call your local office.

I a, sure they can help you.
    Good luck
    Sue
  8. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

I have contacted my local office. They sent me a letter in mid-December telling me that I would have my backpayment "within a month", which came and went.

The phone # for my local office is permanently busy. The office is located in a VERY dangerous part of the city and the closest parking lot is at least 4 blocks away.

I wish I could go in there, but with the parking situation, it's not possible.

I wrote another letter last week asking for my money and have not heard anything.

I could cry. I am so infuriated that we are treated like this. Some of the people in this city that are on public assistance and can obviously work would never go through this. Sick since 2003, having to PROVE that I'm sick and still put before a judge after TWO YEARS who treats you like you're LYING, and THEN have to wait for over SIX MONTHS for money that is MINE?

I'm sorry for the vent, but when I think about what we have to go through to get what is OURS that I worked for since I was 16, I get really, really ANGRY.

Thanks for listening.
    Christine
  9. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Contact your congressman (federal) and tell them what has happened. Their office can send an inquiry and should help speed up the process.

Jan
  10. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Jan is right your congressman probably has a website where you can enter requests for help with govt agencies.

Or if you don't have the energy to do that you might get faster results over the phone.

You should be able to get the info you need here: http://www.house.gov/

Good luck,

Shar
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

If your attorney got their portion of your back pay in July, you should have gotten yours as well. 6 months is far too long to have to wait. Call anyone you can, write anyone you can (congressman, senator, etc), have your attorney contact someone, somewhere. The squeaky wheel does indeed get the oitl

Good luck.

Ingrid
  12. justlooking

justlooking New Member

If your attorney got paid and you didn't.. shouldn't your attorney be calling, writing or in someway contacting the SSA for you? Their job isn't done just because you've received a letter and they got paid. Contact your attorney and tell them to get this settled for you. You don't need this stress that is why you paid an attorney, right?
    Your attorney should have contacts at the SSA to get these things handled quickly for you. You shouldn't have to be the one calling day after day to get this completed, your attorney should.
    In my case the attorney didn't receive their money until I signed off that they had provided me with appropriate service. I would be very upset if the attorney had received payment prior to the job being complete. AND until you receive your benefits, the job isn't complete.

Please contact your attorney today and get them to fix this for you immediately. You dont' need this stress.

Sincerely
    JL
  13. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Jan, Shar, and Ingrid: Thanks for that advice. I called my congressman and they are mailing me some forms to send back. My lawyer said he’d gladly send a letter, but it will not carry any weight. He also suggested the congressman.

FroggyFog: Call an attorney. It was the best thing I did. They know how to win the case and will handle all the paperwork. They won’t charge you anything unless you win. Mine earned every cent.

JL: SS automatically paid my lawyer out of my benefits. I had nothing at all to do with paying the lawyer. There was nothing for me to sign. SS sent him his fee and THEN contacted me.

Thank you all for your support.
  14. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Maybe things have changed in the 3 years since I won my case but I received my backpay before the attorney received his fees and before my first monthly check.

I didn't directly pay the attorney, the SSA did, however they did require me to sign off that the attorney had done their job. Once they received my signed letter, they released the attorney his fees. They actually with held 25% of my backpay (which was more than the maximum of $5300 allowed to pay the attorney) until the fees were settled and then reimbursed the rest to me a few weeks later.

I'm really sorry you are getting the run around.
    I hope you get things settled soon.
    Sincerely
    JL
  15. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that here in PA they handle these cases much differently than in CA.

Every time I read about someone being paid quickly, winning their case on the first try, etc., they seem to be in CA.

There was nothing from SS for me to sign off on. I had my hearing and got my approval letter, which provided the total of my back payment and the amount of my monthly payments and the date for the first one. The letter clearly stated that they paid my attorney $5,300, and showed that amount deducted from the back-payment.

I'm thinking my state might be a touch bass-ackwards. The fact that the phone # for my local office is permanently busy alone boggles my mind. A busy signal at any office these days is just unheard of, yet, there it is.

SIGH...

16. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

talking about Backpay,,i didn`t get one because i won my

case to soon {5 months} i was also waiting for something

but then i found out that i won on the 6 months waiting

period ,,but most impotant,that i was approved!

i`ve heard that usally when you win and have backpay

you get the money first and then the lawyer gets paid

but keep calling ssd office they have to tell you

something,,goodluck ,,gmom,,