SSD Denial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I received my official denial letter from SS. This was at my "reconsideration level". The person from SS told me that now I can request a hearing in front of an ALJ, he said it will take approximately one year for that to happen.

I was reading through the posts regarding how do people cope with working. I think it's great that some can continue on, I wish I could. I have had FM since teen age years and have worked all my life up until age 55. In fact, you could say I was a workaholic, loved working, loved my job, everything. If you are able to keep working I say "good for you", but please do not take on the attitude that those of us who can't have "given up", sometimes you just keep going hard until you reach that brick wall and can't keep going on anymore.

Dara
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

I received my official denial letter from SS. This was at my "reconsideration level". The person from SS told me that now I can request a hearing in front of an ALJ, he said it will take approximately one year for that to happen.

I was reading through the posts regarding how do people cope with working. I think it's great that some can continue on, I wish I could. I have had FM since teen age years and have worked all my life up until age 55. In fact, you could say I was a workaholic, loved working, loved my job, everything. If you are able to keep working I say "good for you", but please do not take on the attitude that those of us who can't have "given up", sometimes you just keep going hard until you reach that brick wall and can't keep going on anymore.

Dara
  3. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I know how disappointed you feel. After my first denial I was approved in my home state last Feb. but the decision was overturned on a regional level in Denver. It was 6 months for a hearing to be set before an ALJ. I had mine on 9/11/02 and I am still waiting to hear his ruling. Do you have legal representation? I would also suggest that you have as many people as you can write letters to the judge concerning your status & how it has affected your life & ability to work. My mental health therapist also wrote a compelling letter to the judge. My hearing was really difficult. I am not too optomistic about my outcome. The judge was very rude and asked a lot of questions about my ongoing litigation from an injury. (this injury has caused my 12 year old fibromyalgia to go to a whole new level!) He seemed to focus on that more than on my medical records & documentation. I think every state is different. I live in SD. Good luck and never give up!!!

Best Wishes,
    Darla
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]
  4. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I know what you're feeling because the same thing happened to me about working. I had to quit in 2000.
    I've worked all my life and like you have finally hit that brick wall where you feel like you can no longer go on.
    I'm 50 yrs. old. (Born in August too) :)
    And just like you, I also feel like I've had this Fibro thing since I was a young girl; it just wasn't diagnosed until last year.
    At least you have taken the steps to file for disability.
    (I'm still scared to file).
    You haven't said if you've gotten yourself a lawyer.
    According to all the posts I've read, they advise getting one before going before a judge. You'll probably stand a better chance.
    I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone out there. There are still plenty of us here who feel they can
    no longer keep going ......
    Good luck with your hearing and keep us posted.

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  5. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Sorry to hear that you were denied at the second level. I was just denied at my first try, and now I'm not quite sure how to proceed or if I even should!

The brick wall can be a real bummer. Don't let it get you down for too long. I wish I could offer you some comforting advice, but I am pretty much in the same boat. At least you're not alone :)

Hugs, Lisa
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

It sounds as if you should give serious thought to retaining an attorney. I am not especially fond of those vermin myself, but they can save the day. Whatever you do, don't give up!!!! When your SSDI is finally awarded you will be granted all your back pay. If you give up and reapply later, you lose all of that. I am pretty much in the same boat as you, although I have not yet received my first denial. I am waiting and hoping as I type. I too have worked since I was in my teens, and just could not go on any longer. I wish you all the best in your fight for what is rightfully yours.
    Kathryn
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

from all of you. Yes, I have retained an attorney, however I don't have a lot of confidence in him right now. I have already filed the paperwork for the hearing in front of an ALJ. I don't do well at all in that type of setting, I find myself trying to sugar coat my symptoms, which is really stupid on my part because it would only hurt my claim. I think it comes from years of trying to deny just how much pain and fatigue I was in. For those of you who haven't filed yet or who don't think you want to appeal - I think you should go for it. What do you have to lose if you can't work anyway? I agree it is stressful, but so is not having any income coming in. Let me know when you hear from SSD about their decision.

Dara
  8. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I hope I haven't given the impression that all people with FBS should be out there working. I'm thrilled that I still can. I recently returned to work after a year and a half not working. I didn't know if I'd be able to go back to work again. I didn't even know if my body would tolerate the job that I started on Oct. 7th. I did choose the job related to what I'd be expected to do physically. I'm a nurse, so I'm lucky that I have alot of options with nursing jobs. I rejected one that was $7.00 more an hour, but I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate for more than a couple of days & then possibly not be able to work at all. I do understand that everyone isn't as lucky as I am in that respect. I've also been in shoes where I haven't been able to work at times. I'll just keep plugging away for now.

I'm sorry to hear that your SS wasn't approved. How sick do you have to be for crying out loud to get disability? You'd think that your doctors' say so would be good enough. I find it odd that the courts will listen to a doctors' recommendation when it suits the court, but when it suits the person in question, the court will frequently choose to reject it. Good luck. dolsgirl
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

I can't remember now which one of you thought I was referring to a post you made about the ability to continue to work. But, no, I wasn't referring to any of your postings, it was another one I had read previously. I guess I get a little defensive because I am so hard on myself for not being able to work anymore. My job was the absolute "dream job" for someone of my age and education. I was making excellent wages and the benefits could not be beat. Anyway, I am very happy for you that you can continue to work. When I gave a notice for my one year leave of absence I was really hoping that being off for a year would do the trick and I would be able to return a healthier person. Now I have asked for an additional six months on my leave of absence, if this doesn't do it then nothing will.

Bonbons: I think you are the one who wrote referring to the mold in the schools, right? Have you ever tried to file a workers comp claim against the district for the exposure to mold? I tried, but then again, can't prove it. I KNOW that the mold exposure is what made me so sick that I was in a "weakened" condition and that is when the Fibromyalgia went into full swing. Up until then, it would come and go and I could manage to work. I did miss a lot of work with it, but never as much as I did that last year. The district knew our building was full of mold but wouldn't do anything about it until I had quit. The problem, according to my doctors, is that since they don't really know what causes Fibromyalgia they can't honestly say if the exposure to the molds & yeasts could have excaberated it or not. So, that's about the way it stands for me.

I remember when just before I had my hysterectomy ten years ago, I had been unable to work because of the extremely heavy bleeding. All I needed for my disability insurance company was a note from my primary doctor saying I was unable to work. No questions asked, that's all they needed. Now all of my doctors say I can't work, but the insurance company's have their own doctors who of course disagree. These are doctors who have no specialty at all with Fibromyalgia, have never seen me, talked to me, nor examined me. This trully irritates the heck out of me.

Thanks again to all of you for your support, I am really in a vulnerable state right now and it really does help.

Dara
  10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I was the one that thought you took offense to me discussing work. You did say something in your response that sounds just like me. I do fight tooth and nail to continue working and it's difficult. I'm so afraid that my time is near when I won't be able to work. It's really scary. I cannot do the types of jobs I've done secondary to this disease, but I'm still able to plug along. I now make $10 less an hour than my last job. Huge cut. I do understand the point that people get to when they simply cannot do it any longer. dolsgirl
  11. darlee

darlee New Member

Dara,

I can relate I am waiting for my 2nd time to go to court- the lst time I went after my denial, I cryed thru the whole thing- and the women judge was mean- I applied two yrs ago and I am 46 and will keep appealing if I have to cause I can't work-I have fibro from a work injury which went undiagnosed even tho I was off then for two years on comp. then in 98 I had a brain tumor taken out, leaving me deaf, blind on left side, plus tinnutis, plus the tumor took out my balance nerve on the left, plus depression. Thank goodness I have a working supportive husband. I have constant sciatic pain on left( which was in right leg since 93 but switched with a vengeance to the opposite side when I fell downtown 2 years ago(at which time I was down to only working 2 days a week in a local drs office. I get spacey in stores- neurologist says its cause the hi ceiling and fluorescent lites wreak havoc on the balance- I lose the carts I keep switching to others and I bump into things but on good days and in the house or indoors(like at court) I appear to look and act normal-anyway, I digress-Keep trying I will!
  12. Dara

Dara New Member

sounds like you & I might have the same first names. Gee, I read your posts and thought how on earth could they possibly deny you? I guess they have their ways, trying to make us just give in and drop the appeals. Hope you will get a positive determination next time. I am going to try and wait this out, hope I can make it. I'm now waiting to find out when my date will be to go in front of the ALJ. Keep on trying, good luck to you.

Dara
  13. allhart

allhart New Member

i just went in front of the alj monday it took 6 montes to get the court date
    i wish you better luck then i had at mine i posted about it you may want to read it might help,knowing what i went threw