SSD directive in 2005 mentions LYME arthritis

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Nov 5, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

After reading this, I don't understand why my son has had to appeal his case, since he was denied in 2006!!!

If anyone else finds anything more re SSD/I and Lyme... please add or tell us where to find it? Thanks!

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook
    /14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#14.07%20Immunoglobulin%
    20deficiency%20syndromes%20or%20deficiencies
    %20of%20cell-mediated%20immunity,%20excepting
    %20HIV%20infection

Sorry it's long, you'll have to cut and paste the url carefully; the pertinent section it seems is in section 6 about arthritis and specifically mentions Lyme.

The Ruling is entitled:

Disability Evaluation Under Social Security
    (Blue Book- January 2005)
    14.00 Immune System - Adult

and here's the part that mentions Lyme:

"6. Inflammatory arthritis (14.09) includes a vast array of disorders that differ in cause, course, and outcome. For example, inflammatory spondyloarthropathies include ankylosing spondylitis, Reiter's syndrome and other reactive arthropathies, psoriatic arthropathy, Behçet's disease, and Whipple's disease, as well as undifferentiated spondylitis.

Inflammatory arthritis of peripheral joints likewise comprises many disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, crystal deposition disorders, and LYME disease.

Clinically, inflammation of major joints may be the dominant problem causing difficulties with ambulation or fine and gross movements, or the arthritis may involve other joints or cause less restriction of ambulation or other movements but be complicated by extra-articular features that cumulatively result in serious functional deficit.

When persistent deformity without ongoing inflammation is the dominant feature of the impairment, it should be evaluated under 1.02, or, if there has been surgical reconstruction, 1.03."

-----
    I broke it up to make it a bit easier to read.

I have been looking for rulings on Lyme and have had a hard time finding them. It pays to search, search, and search another day, I guess!!!!

I should've had this when we first submitted his claim perhaps? Altho maybe it wouldn't have mattered anyway, as I've said before, we say a paraplegic denied who had to hire a lawyer to appeal.

Haven't talked to son's lawyer in a good while, as w/he's still waiting for a court date anyway.