SSD Dr. Exam - Horrifying experience...take somebody in w/ you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Dec 6, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

This is part of a letter I wrote to my PCP tp have put in my file, for my records. I also sent it to my SSD adjudicator...It may go to my snator also.
    I know not all exams go like this, but protect yourself. Take somebody INTO the exam room with you. My hubby was there, but he waited in the lobby. He could hear me sobbing and hollering ouch but was afraid to "interfere". (It's Ok)

As requested by Social Security I went to see Dr. (no name)a D.O. yesterday, Dec. 5th. My appt. was 8:00 am 50 miles away, difficult on my best days, so Ed drove me. It took us 70 minutes to get there, I was in moderate pain, it was very cold and raining. I was in the office for 1 ½ hrs.
    To be brief, I feel as though I was beaten. I cried throughout the exam, and left the office sobbing in my husbands arms. He had to bring me home and put me to bed. I had to take a percocet and a xanax in order to realx. I barely slept last night due to excruciating pain, especially in my chest and back. Several times I considered going to the E.R., but I figured all you could do was give me more pain meds. Out of desperation I took a second Oxycontin 9 hours after my last dose….I was still having such severe muscle spasms I also took a Soma. When I finally fell asleep I had awful nightmares. This morning I am barely functioning. It hurts to breathe. Several areas like my hips, just below the elbows, shoulders, spine, feel bruised, but there is no discoloration. The back of my neck/shoulders are swollen. I can hardly bear to rub my zostrix on them.
    I am sure Dr. (no name) is a fine physician, I am not saying he has done anything to intentionally harm me. I have never been thru an exam like that before, and I pray I never will again. When he and two nurses came in the exam room my first thought was to request my husband to come in, but I didn’t. The room was small and I didn’t want to seem “defensive”. I am trying not to be melodramatic, but I am very emotional & drained. I can only describe what happened as being caught in a tornado. He spoke to me briefly, and started the exam. He moved to fast and hard I was caught off guard. I kept asking him to please slow down, I could not move that fast, but he kept pushing. At one point he pressed each thumb into the center of my buttocks and my knees gave way. This is when the tears started. I asked him again to please slow down, I could not keep up this pace and he was hurting me, but on and on he went. They also kept talking amongst themselves if they should do this, or how were they supposed to do that…I would ask a question as was totally ignored, no response. It took everything I had not to walk out of the room, exam gown and all, and leave. But, I knew if I did that would be the end of my disability claim.
    I understand this is part of the process for proving disability, and many others have been thru the same experience. I also understand the Dr. must remain objective, and is just following protocol as requested by Social Security. But there was no reason for him to be so hard handed. I did my best to cooperate, keep my cool and do as I was asked, despite the pain and fear. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I felt humiliated and vulnerable, being half naked, outnumbered 3-1, and having no power over the situation.
    Despite the pain & Fog I have this am I had to put my feelings on paper and into the record. It’s the only way I know to deal with it, and let it go.
    I am a pretty tough ol’ broad and I will overcome this…I pray for the one’s that aren’t so tough.
    Thanks for “listening”

This was Thursday..today is Saturday. I am still emotionally and physically exhausted. My whole body throbbs and my muscles burn. Even my fingers and TOES are swollen and very sore...If this is what we are supposed to endure to get disability they can take their check and put it "where the sun don't shine"! I will NEVER put myselft in the position of being one of their VICTIMS again.
    God Bless...Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

This is part of a letter I wrote to my PCP tp have put in my file, for my records. I also sent it to my SSD adjudicator...It may go to my snator also.
    I know not all exams go like this, but protect yourself. Take somebody INTO the exam room with you. My hubby was there, but he waited in the lobby. He could hear me sobbing and hollering ouch but was afraid to "interfere". (It's Ok)

As requested by Social Security I went to see Dr. (no name)a D.O. yesterday, Dec. 5th. My appt. was 8:00 am 50 miles away, difficult on my best days, so Ed drove me. It took us 70 minutes to get there, I was in moderate pain, it was very cold and raining. I was in the office for 1 ½ hrs.
    To be brief, I feel as though I was beaten. I cried throughout the exam, and left the office sobbing in my husbands arms. He had to bring me home and put me to bed. I had to take a percocet and a xanax in order to realx. I barely slept last night due to excruciating pain, especially in my chest and back. Several times I considered going to the E.R., but I figured all you could do was give me more pain meds. Out of desperation I took a second Oxycontin 9 hours after my last dose….I was still having such severe muscle spasms I also took a Soma. When I finally fell asleep I had awful nightmares. This morning I am barely functioning. It hurts to breathe. Several areas like my hips, just below the elbows, shoulders, spine, feel bruised, but there is no discoloration. The back of my neck/shoulders are swollen. I can hardly bear to rub my zostrix on them.
    I am sure Dr. (no name) is a fine physician, I am not saying he has done anything to intentionally harm me. I have never been thru an exam like that before, and I pray I never will again. When he and two nurses came in the exam room my first thought was to request my husband to come in, but I didn’t. The room was small and I didn’t want to seem “defensive”. I am trying not to be melodramatic, but I am very emotional & drained. I can only describe what happened as being caught in a tornado. He spoke to me briefly, and started the exam. He moved to fast and hard I was caught off guard. I kept asking him to please slow down, I could not move that fast, but he kept pushing. At one point he pressed each thumb into the center of my buttocks and my knees gave way. This is when the tears started. I asked him again to please slow down, I could not keep up this pace and he was hurting me, but on and on he went. They also kept talking amongst themselves if they should do this, or how were they supposed to do that…I would ask a question as was totally ignored, no response. It took everything I had not to walk out of the room, exam gown and all, and leave. But, I knew if I did that would be the end of my disability claim.
    I understand this is part of the process for proving disability, and many others have been thru the same experience. I also understand the Dr. must remain objective, and is just following protocol as requested by Social Security. But there was no reason for him to be so hard handed. I did my best to cooperate, keep my cool and do as I was asked, despite the pain and fear. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I felt humiliated and vulnerable, being half naked, outnumbered 3-1, and having no power over the situation.
    Despite the pain & Fog I have this am I had to put my feelings on paper and into the record. It’s the only way I know to deal with it, and let it go.
    I am a pretty tough ol’ broad and I will overcome this…I pray for the one’s that aren’t so tough.
    Thanks for “listening”

This was Thursday..today is Saturday. I am still emotionally and physically exhausted. My whole body throbbs and my muscles burn. Even my fingers and TOES are swollen and very sore...If this is what we are supposed to endure to get disability they can take their check and put it "where the sun don't shine"! I will NEVER put myselft in the position of being one of their VICTIMS again.
    God Bless...Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am truly sorry you had to endure this. My doctor's exams for SSD were not this bad, but the actual SSD hearing before a Judge left me feeling exactly as you describe. I cried through the latter part of it, in front of the Judge, my lawyer and the court stenographer. I felt totally humiliated by the judge's attitude.
    I think this is like a lot of other areas in life. There are bad people who use the system to do dishonest things, and the rest of us must suffer because of them. Everyone must be under suspicion until proven otherwise. It's such a shame, and so hard on those of us who are telling the truth.
    I hope you feel better, and I sure hope you win your case after all of this.
    God Bless,
    Klutzo
  4. PAT

PAT New Member

I know how horrifying it can be to have a doc cause so much pain. I went to see a D.O. who 'specializes' in FM and CFS. He will do an exam and decide for himself if a patient really has FM or not. (psychic too, I guess)
    Well, he probed and pushed and tried all the pressure points. He sure knew just where to touch, but I felt he was terribly rough and inconsiderate. I was in tears by the time he got past my neck and asking him to please be easy. Like you described, he made my knees buckle, and as he finished up, I was sobbing. I was wishing also that my huband was in the room.
    This man decided that yes, I have FM (oh, gosh I'm glad he agrees)He then asked me to tell him what my pain level was on a scale from 1 to 10. I said 9 to 10, and he LAUGHED. He said if I was at a 9 or 10, I would be in a fetal position on the floor, begging to be euthanized. Not sitting in his chair with a placcid look on my face.(Though I was crying!) I said excuse me, but I am used to living in extreme pain, and having no choice but to go on with a normal appearance. Most days, if I had a choice, I WOULD be on the floor, curled up, and begging for mercy. That's exactly the way I feel INSIDE. I told him a few more things that I won't repeat, and never went back!
    I usually don't post at all; much less one this long, but you sure brought up a nasty memory, and I feel so badly for you. I hope you get your SSD, and find a compassionate doc, and never have to go through that again. ALWAYS take your husband in. You have that right, and need the support.
    Patti
  5. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

You have met the nastiest. I thought my exam was bad. My SSDA doctor was studying to be a psychiatrist (and he was all by himself) so his main point was to try to make me believe this ( if I have anything at all) can either be proven medically or it all started in my childhood.

I also felt totally humiliated when I left because I could just see where my exam was going and I told him so. Of course I was denied the first time around. You can tell them all you want but they have no understanding of what they're dealing with. It's a terrible thing to be going thru what we are and then have to wish they were, too, so they'd understand.

me
  6. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

you had to endure that awful experience. I hope you recover quickly (of course we all know that we don't do anything fast). I have not had an exam yet, but when I do I'll be sure my husband is in the room with me.

Soft Hugs, Lisa
  7. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

I am so sorry and I know how you feel. My last appointment went the same way, but I was luckly and my husband was in the room with me. As soon as I got home I e-mailed my lawyer word to word on what happened and request another exam with another doctor if I gotten a bad report from that doctor.
    I just found out that social security was approved in August, but the Fresno office was picked like to be audited and my file was picked to be reviewed and now is in the San Franciso office and can over turned. I think it is a bunch of crap.
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

I was sent to a Rheumatologist, supposedly he specializes in Fibromyalgia. After his exam I could not move or even get out of bed for several days. But, his conclusion was that yes I had Fibromyalgia but I had good mobility, well yeah after he about tore my arms out of the sockets. Just remember that the SSD are paid by SS and I for one believe there main job is to rule in favor of SS, which means a ruling against the person applying for disability. I don't mean to sound cynical but that has been my experience so far.

Dara
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry that you were put through this ordeal. Someone should report this doc to the medical society. There is not reason to put a patient through this.

My SSD exam was nothing, but a person would have to be dead to not pass. At least it didn't hurt.

Love, Mikie
  10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm so sorry it happened to you. I have had it happen a few times. Once with a Rheumatologist, she squeezed my arms and legs so bad, I was sore for days. And this last time, my new doc. He used one of those tiny reflex hammers on my arms without telling me he was going to do it. He just said hold out your arms and then he hit both my arms so badly I had terrible bruises for over a week on both arms. I didn't know what to do about it. I felt like suing, but you just get to a point where not much is worth fighting over anymore. I'll just have to watch him and make sure he doesn't do it again. But it really hurt and I was in alot of pain :( It's just not fair what happens to us.
  11. achy

achy New Member

It is Monday and I am still in a great deal of pain! I suppose I should call my doc, but I know there isn't anything he can do. I'm taking it easy and wrapping myselft around the heating pad...two actually, one in front, one in back. The pain in my chest is almost unbearable....

One thing I thought of...my ENT put me on Levoquin...and strong antibiotic for chrin sinusitus....he said to be careful what I did that a lsot of ppl have muscle/tendon problems while on it....Figures.

This too shall pass...hopefully fast
    Warm Fuzies, thanks again
    Achy
  12. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

Well I'm new to this board only found it by mistake, sure wish that all of the Doctors that we have all seen for this DD were bound by law to tell us about wed site. I have filed for SSD and haven't seen one of their doctors yet, but I'm waiting for a notice of when my appointment is set up for. It might get to be fun because if the doctor that they set up to see, me tries to act like yours did might be the one is surprised. I’m a male power lineman 230 pounds and I don’t like people to hurt me, hell we live with so much pain everyday that to allow someone to try and add to that, not going to happen in my world. They work me, as all other state and federal employees, and they damn well better treat me as such. I don’t hold them back from proving that I have this DD that’s their job. They are not going to hurt me in the process and that’s for DAMN sure. Hope you can get over how you where treated, and if I were you I’d send it to your Senator, and to your news paper in your area they need to know what the heck is going on.
  13. allhart

allhart New Member

your story sounds so much like mine,frist i saw there phycologist who actually told my husband to leave not even want in the waiting room,thank god he just sat in the car because i only made it half way threw her mental exam,she was completly rude i was pregant at the time she told me that having anthor child wasnt a good idea she refused to let me use the restroom,she was actually yelling at me telling me i wasnt trying,
    then a week later i went to there regular dr who also treated me with no respect,i went threw alot of whaaat you did during the exam,
    i wrote ss and complained about both drs,but they of corse used those drs info over my own to deny me,
    when i read there reports they were full of lies,i could not belive how bad it was there dr in his report said that i was drug seeker,he said i didnt have any signs of scolosis which you can see just by looking at my back!this is one thing that was in my denial letter,also he said i do get ocasional headaches but not migrains,even thow i have gotten migrains sense 12 and my aunt grandma and now 13 year old son have them agin this is something they put in my denial letter he also said i sceamed in pain from barley being touched which indacated my promblems were more phco then realy!there dr has a copy of your medical records! i thought that there drs where suppose to not have that info but in his report he listed what it said in my dr reports and why he disputes it!when i went in front of the alj last month i had brought my records with me along with a list of the records that disputed everything there dr said but the judge didnt want to see any evidavce hes sending me to anthor one of there drs!
    make surt that you have ss send a copy of there report to your dr and get a copy as soon as they do so you can start sending in your medical proof to dispute what there dr said,
    if you write your sentor let me know i will also write him so he knows this is happening all over and that they neeed to do something to protect all of us from these cruel drs!
    sorry this was so long
    kara
  14. allhart

allhart New Member

i just talked to ss because i havent heard anything from them about the dr the judge said i had to see they said i couldnt be seen til the beging of the year when i told them i wanted to complain the lady told me the fastest way to get heard is to write your congressman which im about to do just thought id share what they told me.
    kara