SSD examinations for Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scarletstang, Jun 28, 2008.

1. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

I know quite a few have went through the disability process and I do have a lawyer. For SS, I am being sent to a physiatrist and a psychologist. Can anyone tell me what to expect? It doesn't help they are a couple of days apart and I'm on meltdown.
  2. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I had my SSDI mental exam a little over a year ago. I was 52 at the time.

The doctor was a PhD for my mental exam. She told right off that she doesn't play the games or do memory tests (which is what I was expecting). She just asked questions about my life from childhood till now. She did not dwell on childhood though.

She kept it very low tone with nothing upsetting. She then asked me about the CFS and how it affected my life. She seemed very caring.

I developed panic disorder when I first got CFS. I was very candid about that and told her why I didn't feel like I could work with the public even if I did have the strength and stamina to.

Oh and she asked my sister who brought me in to write a paper while she waited , telling her how I have changed since this illness.

It really was a pretty good experience for me. The doctor was so nice and I think that it helped that a Social Security doctor actually physically could see how ill I am.

I truly believe that this was very helpful in getting me an approval 9 months after applying .I was approved 2 months after this exam. I got it in the appeal stage.

Don't worry and I hope your experience is as good as mine was! GOOD LUCK!

Cindy

3. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

That's what I have to see, Ph.d also. I won't play "games" very well so I hope the exam is not on that level. I was so exhausted at work that I would actually hide for 20-30 minutes to rest wherever I could and I could not concentrate and my memory is very bad.

Thank you Cindy for taking the time to tell me about your experience.

Cheryl
  4. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi,

First off, lol, is your 'stang a 1965? Great car.

Sorry, I couldn't help but ask. Now I'm not sure what you might expect from a physiatrist and a psychologist but Soc Sec here in Northern CA was not very nice at all when I got their Fill Out These Forms, then be ready to see a dr for confirmation or denial letter.

I filled out their forms and then phoned the number on the demand letter. Found that I would not be allowed to ask that "my" dr be allowed to fill out yet other forms. No.

SS person said I had to get to either one of two towns, to see a dr of SS's choosing. When I tried to explain the difficulty of getting to someplace rather far from my home the rep snapped "Okay, then we'll just use the information we have now," and slammed the phone down.

You bet I called her back. Told her NOT to do that again, and said I'd do my best to get to her choice of drs.

The dr turned out to be a real beauty, almost spoke English, was a chiropractor.
    His report to SS went like this: "Client was able to ambulate down my hallway, has range of motion in arms" (and here he wrote the percentage of R of M, don't know how he figured that out with no measuring devices of any kind and although he hadn't asked me to see how far I could move my arms) "claims she cannot bend to touch her toes."

Well, I couldn't bend to touch my toes. He showed me how HE could do it and I congratulated him for being in such good shape and good health.

And he didn't have a hallway, either, for "ambulating" or anything else. He opened a door, called out my name, I got up from a chair beside the door and walked through, made a sharp left turn into an office.

Those things are just a couple of the lies he told; only when it turned out I passed exam did I allow myself to laugh at the guy.

Scarletstang and EVERYONE else on Social Security Disability rolls, if you want to be appalled just ask to see your SocSec file. I did once and lost count of the errors, mis-statements, and outright lies at around 20.

So in What The Heck mode, I asked whether I would be allowed to write corrections to the wrong bits of info and if the corrections could be placed in my file. Stunningly, the answer was "Yes."

Gad I wish I'd had the energy and the days of time it would have taken to note, fix, and explain the mistakes!! Way back then the file was "only" about 5 inches thick; I shudder to think what it must be like now.

Lea.
  5. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi,

First off, lol, is your 'stang a 1965? Great car.

Sorry, I couldn't help but ask. Now I'm not sure what you might expect from a physiatrist and a psychologist but Soc Sec here in Northern CA was not very nice at all when I got their Fill Out These Forms, then be ready to see a dr for confirmation or denial letter.

I filled out their forms and then phoned the number on the demand letter. Found that I would not be allowed to ask that "my" dr be allowed to fill out yet other forms. No.

SS person said I had to get to either one of two towns, to see a dr of SS's choosing. When I tried to explain the difficulty of getting to someplace rather far from my home the rep snapped "Okay, then we'll just use the information we have now," and slammed the phone down.

You bet I called her back. Told her NOT to do that again, and said I'd do my best to get to her choice of drs.

The dr turned out to be a real beauty, almost spoke English, was a chiropractor.
    His report to SS went like this: "Client was able to ambulate down my hallway, has range of motion in arms" (and here he wrote the percentage of R of M, don't know how he figured that out with no measuring devices of any kind and although he hadn't asked me to see how far I could move my arms) "claims she cannot bend to touch her toes."

Well, I couldn't bend to touch my toes. He showed me how HE could do it and I congratulated him for being in such good shape and good health.

And he didn't have a hallway, either, for "ambulating" or anything else. He opened a door, called out my name, I got up from a chair beside the door and walked through, made a sharp left turn into an office.

Those things are just a couple of the lies he told; only when it turned out I passed exam did I allow myself to laugh at the guy.

Scarletstang and EVERYONE else on Social Security Disability rolls, if you want to be appalled just ask to see your SocSec file. I did once and lost count of the errors, mis-statements, and outright lies at around 20.

So in What The Heck mode, I asked whether I would be allowed to write corrections to the wrong bits of info and if the corrections could be placed in my file. Stunningly, the answer was "Yes."

Gad I wish I'd had the energy and the days of time it would have taken to note, fix, and explain the mistakes!! Way back then the file was "only" about 5 inches thick; I shudder to think what it must be like now.

Lea.
  6. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

Lea,
    Actually, I have a 2002 red Mustang convertible with 25K. I love my little car and can't part with it -- LOL.

The psychiatrist today was decent. He actually said I was not talking enough descriptive wise, so he suggested I provide a little more information. I told him that I had been in chronic pain so long, it was difficult to describe everything you feel. So next is the psychologist. Trying to figure out what to open with.

Take it easy.