SSD hearing, Meds might win it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by opticaltech, Oct 13, 2006.

1. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

My attorney said the case will boil down to how many meds I take and the risk of not taking them in order to work. The side effects are too numerous for me to function. Since I am only 43 that is against me. Lina
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Lina:

I got my
    SSD way before I got the right meds for it.

Mine was based on functioning level.

Especially important: that there was no job that I could do at all.

My first rejection letter said I could do jobs other than the one I worked in.

My lawyer then made it clear that i could do no other kind of work.

For me, that was the most important factor.

i hope that helps,

nyrofan
  3. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

I'm also in the process of trying to get SSDI benefits.
    I'm at the stage where I'm waiting for a hearing date that I know could be another year of waiting.

I applied with the diagnosis of Fibro. but have a whole lot of other problems (yeah for me!). Take a lot of meds especially psychotropic so the side effects are generally the type that leave you a little spacey/cognitive deficits.

I think it wouldn't be real wise for an employer to hire someone that may have even slight mental instability from day to day. My attorney thinks I have a pretty strong case due to numerous dx's, meds with side effects and as she said "a psychological overlay." Boy, the things we'll let them say about us just to get a little money back from the system we paid into!

My age is also slightly against me; I'm 47, which is still a little young by their standards. I feel like about 87!
    Good Luck to you....let us know what happens...Jill.........
  4. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Hiya,

I received my disability back in 1998. I think I was 39 at the time. I got it immediately and didn't have to go to any of their doctors or have any hearing. Thru my pain doctor I was able to show how hard I tried to get well but couldn't. I also couldn't think straight or prioritize duties for my job and part of my job didn't entail any real mental ability but I just stood there not knowing what to do. So sad!! I also had gone to see my pain drs.psychologist so I had his opinions on the matter and apparently that all played a role in my ability to get it on the first try.
    When I saw a new rheumy this week he acted all stunned and shocked that I was on disability. I never thought to ask him why he was saying it. I only answered his question as to why I got it. Maybe he's not seen many people get it, I don't know. All I know is my timing was right because Social Security had just recognized CFS so I figured it would open the doors for fibro. Good luck and keep making your dr. appointments and make sure they are keeping good records! I know I would not have gotten this had I stayed with my regular doctors.