SSD-Mental Evaluation-Need some input

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Sep 27, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi all!
    I have my mental evaluation coming up this coming Thursday and wanted to get some ideas from anyone that has gone through it. Also wanted to ask if any remembers the letter they got giving them the appt. time and place to see if it read anything like mine. Mine simply states this is a mental evaluation to see how your disability affects your nerves. Is that the basic or do any of you have one that says something else?
    Plus I know to go in looking like I do everyday-which won't be hard to do seeing is I haven't the energy to put on makeup or fix my hair. I also found out at my dr's appt. yesterday-I have pneumonia of all things!! Wanted to put me in the hospital but said that if I could just come for my shots, iv therapy, and respiratory treatment everyday at the hospital, it would be ok to be an outpatient-so that is what I opted for. Guess that will make me look even more sick-LOL-all kidding aside I am also in a bad flare and not getting much sleep.
    Anyway, any input would be appreciated!
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi all!
    I have my mental evaluation coming up this coming Thursday and wanted to get some ideas from anyone that has gone through it. Also wanted to ask if any remembers the letter they got giving them the appt. time and place to see if it read anything like mine. Mine simply states this is a mental evaluation to see how your disability affects your nerves. Is that the basic or do any of you have one that says something else?
    Plus I know to go in looking like I do everyday-which won't be hard to do seeing is I haven't the energy to put on makeup or fix my hair. I also found out at my dr's appt. yesterday-I have pneumonia of all things!! Wanted to put me in the hospital but said that if I could just come for my shots, iv therapy, and respiratory treatment everyday at the hospital, it would be ok to be an outpatient-so that is what I opted for. Guess that will make me look even more sick-LOL-all kidding aside I am also in a bad flare and not getting much sleep.
    Anyway, any input would be appreciated!
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There was a long thread on this very topic recently with lots of ideas, so you might check previous posts. Definitely look as pathetic as possible and act depressed even if you're not. Every little bit helps. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  4. achy

achy New Member

Teresa, when you go for your evaluation just be yourself. This Dr. will have a form provided by SS. It is a list of questions he will ask, you will reply and he will write down your replies. Very simple. BUT one thing to keep in mind this is a professional...they can see thru any "act".
    That is exactly what they are looking for...dishonesty. Whenever you meet with SS reps be yourself and be honest. One slip up can cost you your case. This is what I was told by a friend of mine that worked with SS disability.
    The first thing they look for is credability....once you blow that...it is a reason to deny.
    Good luck,
    Achy
  5. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I think I'd have to agree with Achy, although I haven't had to go through this myself yet.

Being the President of the Walking Wounded Club, you shouldn't have much of a problem convincing them WHY you need to be on disability!! LOL

Be yourself and tell them what you go through on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Don't overextend yourself to get all dolled up, but don't put on a major act either.

My prayers are with you!

Love,
    Shoobie
  6. inpain3

inpain3 New Member

it was right after i had a very traumatic experience so i was still real shaken up...i took hubby with me and told the doc whatever popped into my mind when he asked me questions. they were stupid too like "who drove here today?" and 4+2 is?? stupid crap like that.. wel then he wanted to talk to hubby alone, and told him he thinks i am a nut (not really in those exact words) and hubby said well yeah, she hears stuff too. little does hubby know, I do hear things lol...it all worked out though...i got approved within 4 months of filing because of the head doc, but now i have to have a representative payee. Good luck and keep us posted!
    God bless!
    inpain3
  7. allhart

allhart New Member

i wish you luck, mine went horrble i left half way threw remember if they want you to stay for 3 hours and do testing and answer stupid qustions what would prevent you from doing a job for 3 hours a day,if you dont feel good and need to leave or lay down tell them ,i was so mad i was realy ready to slap the lady she told me it wasnt a good idea to have anthor child after she found out i was preagant she even refused to let me use the bathroom,dont get dressed up where something comfortable something you wear everyday,aand if you dont put make up on everyday dont put it on for them try to show them how things realy are,i hope you feel better soon