SSD Psychiatrist appt Monday. Has anyone been to one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunnylover, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi All
    I have an appt with a DR. for SSD Monday. I'm a little scared of the unknown. I would like to know if anyone has ever had to visit a Psychiatrist when applying for SSD. This
    will be my first time and don't know what to expect. I have clinical dep and CFIDS,Fibro and other ongoing illnesses from depression and applying for disability. I am 56 yrs old and not doing to good. A little info would be great before entering his office Monday. Thanks Terri
  2. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi All
    I have an appt with a DR. for SSD Monday. I'm a little scared of the unknown. I would like to know if anyone has ever had to visit a Psychiatrist when applying for SSD. This
    will be my first time and don't know what to expect. I have clinical dep and CFIDS,Fibro and other ongoing illnesses from depression and applying for disability. I am 56 yrs old and not doing to good. A little info would be great before entering his office Monday. Thanks Terri
  3. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

actually a psychologist at the end of filling out my paper work,etc. While I was denied the 1st time, I hired a disability atty and won. Hope you have hired one, but even if you are denied, don't lose heart, since these denials seem routine. As for the shrink, a word of advice: I wouldn't skip into office all chipper. You don't have to lie, but since your disability is invisible you can walk, sit, or stand gingerly if you have any pain. It's difficult for people to get the picture so a little melodrama never hurt. If(this is not a joke)he/she accidentally drops a pencil near you, DO NOT bend over and pick it up. This is a trick to see how limber you are. Have fun? Al
  4. KYRock

KYRock New Member

I should be getting good at this. I'm supposed to go to another one Oct. 9th too. 3rd times a charm they say.
    Well you listen up. I didn't know what to exspect for the first one. The second one I did. The 2nd one was for my new claim. Oct. 9th will be for my old claim again. Anyway your case will ride on this evaluation very much. They want to see how depressed you are, how your memory is and how smart you are. You don't want to be smart. They'll find jobs you can do. Or at least they think you can do. You better get a good case of CRS too. (Can't Remember _hit!) Yes and let the tears flow. I know this sounds terrible but they are going to find any kind of reason not to give you a favorable decsion. So take it any way you can get it.
    Believe me they will! I know it's not in your head and you know it's not in your head. that's all that matters. If they want to think it's all in your head let them think it.
    Get it girl!! Good Luck. We live and learn.
  5. Pooh

Pooh New Member

Well, I'm new here but this is my take. If this is your first time filing for SSD, it's a long haul. Generally about two years. I say be yourself. You will get denied the first time anyway! After the second denial, contact your state reps office. Then get an attorney. With your state reps name on your file, it only helps get it through. It isn't a guaranteed approval, but it helps. The visit its self is no big deal. They ask you allot of questions and that's about it. A farce if you ask me but you have to jump through the hoops to get to the paycheck. Good luck to you! It will all be fine. Elicia
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Act as depressed as you can. Be emotionally "flat" with little facial expression or voice inflection when you speak. Do NOT wear makeup or get dressed nice or wear a shirt that had to be ironed. Severely depressed people don't iron or put on makeup. Sound hopeless. Say things like "I don't know how I can go on like this". It is still difficult to win an SSD case on FMS alone, so you need all the help you can get. If you have any visible aids, wear them, even if you don't need them that day, ie. wrist splints, cane, walker, knee braces, neck collar, etc. Don't go out and buy these if you have not already been prescribed them for your problems though, because the doc will have your medical info and will know you are faking, and then may assume that all of your complaints are fake.It stinks to have to exaggerate, but until they acknowledge how serious an illness FMS is, they leave us no choice. I did this when I had to go through this,and got a dx of dysthymia to add to my FMS. Every little bit helps. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  7. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I had my appt with their shrink in July. My partner told me not to smile, and to act like I was feeling absolutely the worst I have ever felt in my life. I too am clinically depressed & have been on meds for 10+ years. He said he wasn't supposed to give me his diagnosis, then gave it to me anyway!

Jan ^v^
  8. motherrath

motherrath New Member

Dear Bunnylover
    I wish I had the good advice you've been given before I went for my shrink interview. I have the unfortunate habit of always trying to look and act my best when I go out. Believe me this is not the time for it. I have been fighting for nearly 3 yrs for a favorable decision on disability. Go for the unkempt, unmade-up, brace wearing, down in the mouth approach. Don't give up the fight and get a lawyer after the first denial. Maybe you should stay awake all night the night before so you'll be really foggy. I woulda had I known. Best of luck,
    Motherrath
  9. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

the woman, who spoke poor english, wrote that i'd be recovered within one year with proper treatment so that i'd be denied.

I was denied, this was last October, I appealed, and my hearing is Monday, almost a year later!

i was in a really foul mood after the long drive and pissed off to be there. she wrote 'mildly irritated' (i was a bitch)she wrote i laughed and cried, which i did.
  10. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I to am about to go for my first mental evaluation. I am nervous and scared to death! You have gotten some really great advice!! These folks really know what they are talking about! I am going to use every bit of it! Since you are going for yours first-please post and let us know how it went-ok?

Soft hugs! and Good Luck!
    Teresa :)
  11. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Thanks to all of you that posted. I have been coming here since Jan. and have learned and use a lot of info. I will post after my visit to let you all know what happens. Thanks again. Terri
  12. KYRock

KYRock New Member

Bumping this one up for, oh well I forgot who. lol