SSD said I can file while on unemp and go to school.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Aug 22, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

SSA called me yesterday and wanted to know if I would reschedule my phone appt. Told them I cancelled it because was gonna file online when I got ready. She was friendly about the whole thing. Surprised me. She sent me the forms to go by before I file online so I would have a good idea what they want to know. I ask if I could go ahead and apply,since it takes so long,while receiving my unemp. benefits and she said yes because they don't have anything to do with that. Also told me I can go to school while receiving SSD and think she said while applying as long as I don't make over 850. a month. So at least I know that.

I think I'll do alot more talking to the dr and getting more in my file before I apply. Or should I go ahead and get it started with what I have and add more to it? Probably should since I'm gonna get turned down the first 2x anyway no matter what's in there.

Keke
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

with unemployment that you are able to work and are actively looking for work. Also, you might want to be careful about being in school while you are applying for Social Security. They will most likely say that if you are able to go to class, sit for so many hours, do home work, etc. that you could hold down a job. I would consult a lawyer if I were you just to keep all "your ducks in a row".

It's true that social security doesn't have anything to do with unemployment benefits, but they certainly will know the rules about your testifying to the fact that you are able to work and looking. I'd be really careful.
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I think we were talking about this Unemploy, school and
    disability subject not tolong ago. I with the ladies here
    in that you should be careful. Suggest you talk with a
    Disability Attorney or a rep. from Legal Aid so as not
    to make any "mistakes" that could compromise your claim.
    But I would start the process as soon as poss. as it can
    oft times take a long time to attain!

Good luck,
    MRDAD
  4. pamj

pamj New Member

First, make sure you have a LOT of info before you apply. It's best to have all of your doctor's reports, and test results, along with a statement from your doc on how your illness affects your daily functioning.

Don't assume you'll be denied twice at first. I was approved without a lawyer within 6 months of filing because I had very thorough medical records. Don't start applying with incomplete records, it will only make it harder to prove afterwards.

Second, if you are able to attend classes, you will not qualify for SSD. If you can leave the house by yourself, and do even sedentary work, it would be very difficult to prove disability.

I was approved due to being housebound, bedridden at least 3-4 days a week, and not able to leave the house alone due to fainting, dizziness, etc... Basically, couldn't even always make my own meals.

Please talk to your doctor before applying, and make sure you have all the info you need before you do apply. Be prepared to explain why you can't work, not just telling your symptoms. How many minutes can you sit, stand, etc...? How do you feel after showering, walking, cooking, reading, etc...? What areas do you need assistance...?

I think the $850 per month guideline works best for someone whose disability has improved somewhat, and would like to try part-time work to see how much work they can handle.

good luck with your decisions,
    Pam

5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

been there done that...and i recall i gave you that website about disabilitysecrets.com...

i am glad you go the correct information...you will be ok...

hugs

jodie
  6. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I posted something similar recently and received great information from several people. Someone pointed out to me that when you sign for unemployment you are saying that you are able to work. In contrast when you are filing for disability, you are saying that you are unable to work. There seems to be a conflict there. I'm not sure of how it would affect each other, but don't take the chance- get advise from an attorney. Actually check around because my experience is that not all attorneys are correct.

People on this board are also very knowledgeable. They have helped me tremendously.

Good luck. Proceed with caution so that you can receive the disability that you deserve.
  7. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

I know in every state I've lived in this is absolutely not true. I hate to say it but I have to wonder about the person's motivation who told you that. I got bad information from people at SSI who did not seem to have my best interests at heart; you may have too. When I filed my claim (still pending) I was told specifically that if I applied for unemployment I was signaling that I was ready and able to work. Not being ready and able to work DISQUALIFIES you from unemployment benefits.

SSI and unemployment are mutually exclusive. It's a sad catch-22, because many are homeless and have lost everything by the time this slow boat of SSI gets around to them, but that is the way it's configured. I agree with the others here, please talk to a lawyer ASAP. Disability lawyers do not charge upfront, they take a percentage of the award if you get SSI. Most will give you a free consultation before taking your case, just call around until you find someone willing to talk to you.