SSD what is best insurance suplement with medicare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobbycat, Mar 4, 2009.

1. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Those of you that are on SSD and are getting medicare what sublemental insurance did you get.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

on where you live and what your needs are re: drs, mental health professionals, meds, etc....I have Aetnas private fee for service (PFFS) individual open premier plan....have had it for 3 far as I could tell (I researched it thoroughly before picking) it is about as good as you can get when supplementing medicare....however, like I said, it does depend on what you are likely going to use it also depedns on your dr as to whether or not he/she will take it....with some supplemental ins, the dr has to agree to take medicare and the supplemental co
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I've wanted to know the same thing. I know it depends of the state of residence, possibly, but now, only have medicare part A & D, or ABD, not very familiar with it.

I do know that someone told me that Humana, the one that is on TV, is not the best; person told me that it took them about 3 to 6 months to get away from that company.

Hope we get some answers,

Thank you,

4. ulala

ulala New Member

you can check out BLue Cross (Antheim) as a supplemental to Meidcare.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Supplements for SSD Medicare can be very expensive. It all depends on where you live, sometimes, county by county. Medicare Advantage plans, on the other hand, may have small, or no, monthly premiums. They also typically do not require underwriting. These are HMO/PPO plans. Humana and AARP/United HealthCare are two of the largest. These are not available everywhere. A broker will know what is available in your area. He or she will be paid by whatever insurance plan you enroll in and signing up will have no costs above any premiums.

I have been on the AARP/United HealthCare Plan, also known as Secure Horizons, for years. It has provided excellent service, including preventive care, which supplements and Medicare do not. I pay no premiums, just reasonable co-pays when I use the plan. These plans usually include the Part D pharmacy plan. The thing to look for in these plans is the maximum out-of-pocket yearly caps. Mine caps out at $4,200 maximum out of pocket. If I get really sick and have spent $4,200 out of my own pocket, the insurance will cover 100 percent of everything else. An SSD Medicare supplement plan would cost more than that in monthly premiums where I live. I only pay when I need services. I've had inpatient and out patient surgeries in the last few years and spent very little of my own money. It is a comfort to know that there is a limit I would spend in case of a catastrophic illness. Some plans do not have this cap. With Humana's plan here, maximum out of pocket is $6,000. Universal has a plan which reimburses one's Part B premium but it has not cap on out-of-pocket expenses. A broker can explain what all this means to you. Good luck.

Love, Mikie