SSD workers too overwhelmed & approving too many cases

Discussion in 'Financial, Disability and Legal Resources' started by TwoCatDoctors, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Well, here it is. "Social Security is so overwhelmed by disability claims that some officials are awarding benefits without adequately reviewing applications ...." That article is at the very bottom here.

In that article you will find also that Senator Tom Coburn discovered his home tree trimmer was also collecting social security disability. I'm sure that tree trimmer is now going to fry and truthfully, that trimmer knew what he was doing so he does deserve punishment through the system. But in the process he'll be used to cast a shadow on all of us on SSD.

Congress has been trying to trim Social Security Disability for a while now and this is more rhetoric. It has been no secret that the SSA workers were cut and the remaining people are overwhelmed and for a long time the ALJ (Administrative Law Judges were so short staffed). It creates havoc in the system, but it goes back to budget cuts that the Social Security Administration do not decide in the first place.

If you read the two-page article, and overlook the "indignity," Congress should be hanging their heads because they have left the SSA without sufficient funds to properly run it, to ward off fraud, and in their words sufficiently review cases. You can't run a car on water.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/investigation-faults-judges-disability-cases-17223097
  2. keke466

keke466 New Member

but I was reading on a SSD site last night and I ran across a statement that said they weren't actually reviewing them before denying people. Now with this Tom Coburn thing,it will cause a ruckus and make it even harder on us that really do need it. I'm wandering how he found out that the guy was on SSD in the first place. Maybe the guy ask him to pay him in cash and if he told Coburn why,well he cut his own throat. Not that I think he should be on it if he can trim trees. But then again,he might be on it for mental issues,not physical. IDK,it's hard to say. I'm from OK and I don't care for Coburn one bit.

I read it and I just don't know what to say,other than I think it's going to be much harder to get it when you really need it. I don't understand how so many people are getting approved that are committing fraud. They make it so hard on us that are being legal,how are these ppl getting thru.[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2012]