SSD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Nov 16, 2005.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Does anyone know how SSD works. My husband got approved today for his SSD. We are suppose to go tomorrow and see the case worker and get all the info, but I have been told a lot of different stories. Basicly I was wondering how do they determine his back pay. Also does he get medicare along with that or is it medicaid.
    I don't know if any of you follow my posts, he originally left work the end of April this year and I put him in the state mental hospital for depression. He got out in June and took 5000 mg of his meds and was in ICU for two weeks in August. Since then he has been under close watch at a group called the PACT team. Its for seriously mentally ill people. Anyway, he was finally diagnosed with type 2 bipolar just about a month ago, so I hope they can find the right meds to help him. He has tried to take his own life more than once, the first time being when he was 15, so needless to say he has had a very long, very hard time with depression.
    Anyone know about SSD, please let me know. God bless, Julie
    I am still amazed that both of us got our disability on the very first try. Hows that for a prayer answered. I am still praying for all of you that are waiting.
  2. Teri620

Teri620 New Member

Not too sure about the SSD as we are still going around and around on the circle that never ends. We are coming up on our last appeal and I don't know what we are going to do if they deny it...We need it so bad!
    But I did want to ask if your husband has ever taken a drug called Neurotin??? My MIL tried doing the same thing a few times and as it turns out that Neurotin actually can cause people to have suicidal thoughts...I think a lot of people suffer in this aspect with certain meds...

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Nellie
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

They went back to Nov.5th 2003 the fist day I started my medical leave.( became Ill and could no longer work)

I will get back pay to that date.The only thing here in RI they have state temporary disability .I collected that and it will be deducted from the total they owe me for retro benefits.

It is Medicare part A first .There is a waiting period for it 24 month waiting period (Brain Fog ) Cant remember about part B but I become eligible in Feb. 2006.

Hope I was some help.
    Sue
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

It is really hard to give you any info on your case, Julie.

Every case is soooooo different. It would be best just to write down all of your questions and take them with you to your meeting with your caseworker.

Soc. Sec. determines everyone's disability date a different way, it seems! I indicated on my application that I had been disabled for nearly 2 years before filing; however, when they determined it, they said they could not count the first 12 months, and they figured a date, and I ended up only getting 1 MONTH backpay! I was approved on the first try, though, and it only took 4 months. My sister, however, tried 3 times and when she ended up getting it, she got NO backpay!

On SSDI, I think you have to wait 2 years from your determined disability date before you can get Medicare.

There is some way to get Medicaid until you reach that point, because my sister is on that program. I am not because I have a good insurance policy in my pension package from my employer. But, my sister has to pay so much for the Medical Card--something called a "spend down". Anyway, she pays the first $300 of her med. bills and prescriptions each month before the Medical card picks up. I could be wrong--I really don't know how all that stuff works.

I hope the docs can find the correct meds for your husband so he can begin to improve.

Good luck in your meeting with your case worker.
  5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

We went to our appt, and found out that he will get only 1 month back pay, plus some SSI. Thats ok, at least he got it, the worst part is that I will lose my SSI, and my medicaid. That means after all this fight, I am going to lose my health coverage. I only got approved for medicaid in OCT., now I will lose it. They said that he will get $176 a month too much for us to get medicaid. I was told by someone that I could divorce him and keep my SSI and medicaid, but thats not right. I should not have to divorce him just to keep what I should be entitled to. This is crazy, and the roller coaster ride is making my pain worse.
    Anyone know about what you need to qualify for medicare? I am so hurt right now. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. God bless, Julie
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

On my last reply, I hope someone knows about medical coverage. Going without medical care is really going to be rough. I only used it for meds, but with diabetes that can really add up. I did find a few companies that cover some of my diabetic supplies, and I wont have to pay for them. I have to buy my own pain meds, ouch! But if I have to give up food then I will, I hurt while taking them, I cant imagine not having them.
    Anyway if anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks and God bless, Julie
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

YOU STILL QUALIFIED FOR MEDICARE IF YOU DON'T QUALLIFY for medicaid..

i don't understand why you shouldn't get your ssi?

it sounds like you need to call an attorney or ss advocate...

and yes it seems wrong the you should have to divorce him to retain your ssi and medicaid..

i am sure you don't have to divorce him, but i maybe you can just do a legal separation instead...stupid...

i now my grandfather and grandmother both were on ssi when they lived together so i don't know why it would be any different....

i think you need a social security advocate or something i can not help ;you /

jodie
  8. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Julie wrote:

[[[We went to our appt, and found out that he will get only 1 month back pay, plus some SSI. Thats ok, at least he got it, the worst part is that I will lose my SSI, and my medicaid. That means after all this fight, I am going to lose my health coverage. I only got approved for medicaid in OCT., now I will lose it. They said that he will get $176 a month too much for us to get medicaid. I was told by someone that I could divorce him and keep my SSI and medicaid, but thats not right. I should not have to divorce him just to keep what I should be entitled to. This is crazy, and the roller coaster ride is making my pain worse.

Anyone know about what you need to qualify for medicare? I am so hurt right now. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.]]]

SSDI and SSI disability programs are related but very different. (The disability determination is the same for both.)

SSDI is available only to those who have contributed to the Social Security system (i.e., those who have paid FICA and/or self-employment taxes). There are different requirements depending on your age. (Check the web site for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for more specific information.) Your assets and income levels don't matter in establishing eligibility for SSDI.

SSI, on the other hand, is aimed specifically at people with little or no income or assets. For this program, you can qualify even if you never contributed to Social Security, but your income and assets have to be very low.

SSDI recipients qualify for Medicare after 24 months of receiving SSDI benefits. I believe there is a five-month waiting period between the time you are are approved for SSI and the time when you start collecting benefits. So that means there actually is a 29-month wait between being approved for SSDI and beginning to receive Medicare.

SSI recipients qualify for Medicaid automatically.

People who qualify for both programs are often called "Medi-Medis" or "dual eligibles." (Under the new Medicare prescription drug program, many in this group will wind up losing coverage for some drugs they used to get under Medicaid.)

The problem of losing your SSI and Medicaid coverage because of a spouse's income is something the disability community has been fighting for years. The problem is that at least a part of your spouse's income is "deemed" to be part of *your* income when determining your eligibility for SSI (and for automatic enrollment in Medicaid). That's why somebody suggested divorce.

Here in California, there is a program called "share of cost" that allows some people who don't qualify for SSI to "buy in" to Medicaid by paying premiums on a sliding scale. It's not cheap, but it may be a way to get/keep health insurance. I don't know whether this kind of program works the same way in other states, but regardless of where you live, it might be worth looking into this kind of program to see whether it will help you.

I hope things work out for you.

--Laura