SSDI…Survival of the fittest(?) disabled?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Phoenix, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I’m sure this is a familiar story…I just need to vent.

Well, after hanging-in-there for nearly 20 years with FM and CMP complex, my docs finally said what I feared most: I was permanently and totally disabled in March. Not easy for a guy who has not been without a job for 40 years...and all the "guy things" that come with our society.

1. I used my Family Medical Leave to carry me until June.
    2. I filed for SSDI the first of July
    3. I filled out form after form after form
    4. I had my initial filing interview with SSA the end of July
    5. I had to fill out more forms after forms after forms
    6. SSA (rather the state determining agency for SSA, Ga DOL) said that, get this: although I was disabled and my disability is debilitating and very painful, I could still “move” my arms and legs, so under their rules I was NOT disabled, nor entitled to SSDI benefits.
    7. Got Soc Sec lawyer and filed for reconsideration and, of course, had to fill out more forms
    8. SSA (the state determining agency for SSA, Ga DOL) then sent me more forms to fill out before they would reconsider
    9. I’m now waiting on the reconsideration determination…any bets on how long, or, a reversal of their first decision?

In the meantime, I still have nothing. Well, not really, I still have the blessings and support of an absolutely great soulmate of 38 years.

I’m sure many of you have worse horror stories of the SSDI challange. I sometimes think its a Catch-22...in order to prove that you're disabled, you have to accomplish tasks that, if you're disabled (according to them), you can't do??? I'm a fairly tough guy, but, I've sat in tears with writting-hand cramps and tremors so bad it take days to complete just one of their six page forms, and then they send you another...not to mention the depressive befuddlement caused by some of the non-sensical(sp?) questions.

Ahh…I feel much better now.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I’m sure this is a familiar story…I just need to vent.

Well, after hanging-in-there for nearly 20 years with FM and CMP complex, my docs finally said what I feared most: I was permanently and totally disabled in March. Not easy for a guy who has not been without a job for 40 years...and all the "guy things" that come with our society.

1. I used my Family Medical Leave to carry me until June.
    2. I filed for SSDI the first of July
    3. I filled out form after form after form
    4. I had my initial filing interview with SSA the end of July
    5. I had to fill out more forms after forms after forms
    6. SSA (rather the state determining agency for SSA, Ga DOL) said that, get this: although I was disabled and my disability is debilitating and very painful, I could still “move” my arms and legs, so under their rules I was NOT disabled, nor entitled to SSDI benefits.
    7. Got Soc Sec lawyer and filed for reconsideration and, of course, had to fill out more forms
    8. SSA (the state determining agency for SSA, Ga DOL) then sent me more forms to fill out before they would reconsider
    9. I’m now waiting on the reconsideration determination…any bets on how long, or, a reversal of their first decision?

In the meantime, I still have nothing. Well, not really, I still have the blessings and support of an absolutely great soulmate of 38 years.

I’m sure many of you have worse horror stories of the SSDI challange. I sometimes think its a Catch-22...in order to prove that you're disabled, you have to accomplish tasks that, if you're disabled (according to them), you can't do??? I'm a fairly tough guy, but, I've sat in tears with writting-hand cramps and tremors so bad it take days to complete just one of their six page forms, and then they send you another...not to mention the depressive befuddlement caused by some of the non-sensical(sp?) questions.

Ahh…I feel much better now.
  3. kellym

kellym New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle. I sincerely hope that your reconsideration is approved! Good luck.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I hear your pain! I feel it too. I've been through the initial application process and all the forms they kept sending me and expecting me to return in 10 days.

I wrote on the form that due to my limited energy, I have both CFS and FM, I was not able to meet deadlines and complete their paperwork on time. Be sure to mention how difficult filling out the forms was for you.

I wish you luck and speedy approval. My attorney told me not to get upset when I get denied. He said it's very common. He did say that VA, where I live, has more initial approvals than MD, where he lives. So, I guess, even though I really hope that I'll be approved quickly, I may be in for a long wait also.

I am just thankful that my school system implemented a great disability insurance plan a few years ago. It is keeping me afloat through all this and will supplement any SSDI payments and retirement benefits I receive. I am doubly thnkful that the plan is not with UnumProvidnet after watching 60 Minutes last night.

Barbara