SSDI and a check for kids?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrea4, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I've seen this mentioned in several threads before...that if you get disability you may be able to get a check if you have minor kids.

Does anyone have any links or insight into the qualifications for this? Do you have to be a single parent? Do the children have to be disabled? I can't find any info on it.

Thanks!
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and still in school you will get ss for them.Linda
  3. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

my kids are 3 and 5....both in preschool. does that count? how do you apply for a check for them? I hear SS isnt very forthcoming about it.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

local office and fillout forms to get these funds released..the kids are entitiled to this money...unti a month after high school grduation...you have to keep track of what ou spend the money one...it can be for rent, car to transport them to school etc...

jodie
  5. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

I do but it isn't very much all three of them get a wopping 4 dollars each. I guess it pays for a happy meal. It's better than nothing but makes me wonder why they bother.
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i think they take your ssdi check for yourself and give the child the diffeernce btween the max they would pay you a month...

jodie
  7. francesakers

francesakers New Member

what do you mean is supposed to be for 420.00
    are you single or married

is there a certain amount kids are suppose to get.
    i have just signed up for mine so I dont' know alot about it
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it does not matter if you are married or not...it is a benefit for the children...he will be getting retro-active a check direct dposited in a custodial account that i set up at a bank..i cna go spend the money on things for him...or i can leave it there for him when he turns 18....

my mother got a check for my sister back in the late 1980's...she was the last child under 18 at home...she is the youngest...and all of us older kids were 18 or older when my mother applied for ssdi....parents bought her a car with it and spent the rest on themselves i guess....

but know ssa looks a little more closely into these things...

so it is a benefit for you child to help them out...i think it is sorta a way to bring them up above what maybe the us considers poverty level...i do get child support/spousal this has absolulty no bearing on much my child gets from my ssdi account....

this is the amount my local office said cody would be entitled to...i don't mind sharing i get 850.00 month for my ssdi funds so it is 850 + 420 total a month until he turns , graduates from high school...ther is some info on ssa.gov

it may be able to explain it better to you...

jodie
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it is based on your credit/and earnings....

so i think one mother posted that her kids get 4$ each...i don't know if she is on ssi or not...

ask your local office or check out ssa.gov

plus my amount maybe lower because i had received disabily insurance payment from california...so they are checking to that right now...so it may go up from there because i am not receiving my sdi from california anymore....

jodie
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it is for having a child i believe
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it explains it more clear..the children are entitled to a benefit up to 1/2 of your ssdi entitlement....and there is a limit on what the family is entitled to as a whole...it said 150-180% of something i think cost of living?

look it up again on ssa .gov
  12. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Yes I am on disability, and each kid gets 4 dollars a month not counting my check each month. I have three kids.
    They each have there own account. It is suppose to be child support from your dissability check. Thank god i get real child support from their dad. I also thank god that i am married. I don't know if I missunderstood this question and you were wondering about a sick child getting their own disability.[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2006]
  13. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I receive a check for my daughter each month, and it is half of what I get. Thank goodness I receive this, as there is no way I could support the two of us without it. My ex-husband is majorly in arrears for child support and the SSDI check for my daughter enables me to provide her with the things she needs. I am so thankful!