SSDI and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenifurlii, Sep 1, 2002.

1. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I have been reading several posts about Social Security benefits. Is it true that S.S. is now accepting FMS as a reputable disabling condition worthy of benefit acceptance?
    I have been able to work OFF AND ON (VERY SPORADICALLY), but have had to quit jobs due to flare-ups throughout the years. Just recently I was laid off due to a major flare-up and now I am receiving unemployment benefits. If I apply for SSDI will my unemployment status affect my chances? Or should I wait until I am done collecting unemployment benefits? Please someone, anyone, if you have info on this it would be very helpful. Thanks!
    God Bless!
  2. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I have been reading several posts about Social Security benefits. Is it true that S.S. is now accepting FMS as a reputable disabling condition worthy of benefit acceptance?
    I have been able to work OFF AND ON (VERY SPORADICALLY), but have had to quit jobs due to flare-ups throughout the years. Just recently I was laid off due to a major flare-up and now I am receiving unemployment benefits. If I apply for SSDI will my unemployment status affect my chances? Or should I wait until I am done collecting unemployment benefits? Please someone, anyone, if you have info on this it would be very helpful. Thanks!
    God Bless!
  3. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Hi...Jen
    I am been fighting for my social security for almost two years. I had to get a lawyer. My advise to is to keep a log of your pain. Yesterday I went to store and just walking around K-mart and Albertsons Foods...carrying the bags in and then cooking dinner....today my lower back hurts and my left hips feels like ie out of place. It was hard for me to get out of bed because I was hurt all over.
    I have a hearing coming up for my social security which I think might be good because people with fibromyalgia needs to give testimony because some doctors syill don't believe it is real it it could be one of those doctors social security send you too. Also...make sure you have a doctor who specializes in fibromyalgia.
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi jenifurlii,

Sorry you're having such a tough time of it. Hope you get to feeling better!

I have a cousin who received SSI after aprox. 9 months, with the single Dx of FMS. She got it first round, no denials. Then my sister tells me of a friend who has repeatedly been turned down with the same Dx! Both of these ladies are in California. Weird, isn't it?

I don't know how this helps you, except, perhaps, to show that there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules with these turkeys! I know my cousin is GREAT at documenting stuff, so that may have provided SOME of the help.

I got this INCREDIBLE chart for monitoring daily status right here on this board. Using it can only help your claim, as well as maybe provide you with a visual record of what triggers flares for you. Hope this helps. Check it out at: http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/3466/worksheet.html

Good luck!
    Copper
    Let Miralces Replace all Grievances
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I collected unemployment benefits for 11 of the 13 months I waited to win my SSDI case at the federal hearing level. I was one of the first people ever to receive benefits for FMS in this country (Jan. 1986). The nice thing about unweildly beauracracies is that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing! I doubt very much that social security will ever know you are on unemployment, and it may not matter anyway, unless you quit your job instead of waiting until you were let go, or unless you were let go for some other reason than your health. I always suggest a disability lawyer, as I never met anyone in ten yrs. of running a support group, who won her case without a lawyer. It may be different now, but the small back-payment they get is worth it to make sure you get yrs. of needed support. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  6. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Hi Jen.....
    Read my answer again....and then read Copper2002's answer.....I live in California and the point I am making here is my lawyer says you need to keep a log of your pain.
    California is one of the worse state when it comes to SSDI, Taxes, Welfare, High Prices, etc.
    This is one State where you have to fight what is yours because Ca. will take it way from you in a heart beat.
  7. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

Hi,
    I was fired from my job after the doctor said I was at my maximum medical improvement. I had been off for a month prior to that on workman's comp. That was Dec. 23,2000. What a nice Christmas present for them to give me for my five years of service for them.
    Anyway in Jan. after the holidays were good and over I went and applied for both SSDI and Unemployment the same day. I told both places that I was filing with the other one. I got my Unemployment because Indiana law would not let them fire me for medical reason when I tried to work and with them knowing of my medical condition. I had only been able to work 14 full days in five months time. I drawed my unemployment until it ran out. I let the social security office know what was going on. Of course I have been turned down for the first two times. I had my hearing 6-25-02. I am still awaiting the judge's decision.
    Oh another reason I was trying to explain that was because when I applied for SSDI I put down the day I was fired 12-23-00, but they made me change it to 11-27-00 the last day I worked even though I was drawing workman's comp. So I don' know if I get approved if they will take out for the month's I drew unemployment or what, but I let both places know all along that I was applying for the other. So Keep drawing your unemployment if you can because SSDI is not an any hurry to make up their minds about anything. I have been without any kind of income at all for 15 months exactly tomorrow.
    Keeping you in my prayers,
    Vickie C.
  8. catlady51

catlady51 New Member

I have a first cousin who is collecting disability for her FM but am not sure if it is from SS or her previous employer. But I, too, have heard that FM is now recognised by SS. Anyway, I spoke with an attorney on the issue of filing for SSD benefits and his advice was to start immeditely, even if you are able to work sporadically. He said that did not mean that you were able to hold down a full time job. He said the first hearing would be at least 9 months away. And, of course, you may not get it the first time around. So, it would probably be best to start working on filing immediately - don't wait until your unemployment bene's run out. You can down load the SSD forms you'll need to complete from the internet. I am planning to do the same as you. I'm currently out of work on workers comp from a shoulder injury (thank God for small favors) but was out several weeks last year because of FM. After the WC claim is completed, I know the company doesn't want me back. Any info on SSD I come across, I'll forward along. Good luck.
    Lyn (CatLady)
  9. catlady51

catlady51 New Member

Thanks for the info on the worksheet - just printed it out - it is GREAT!
    Lyn (CatLady)