SSDI and student loans

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by danaC, Feb 19, 2007.

1. danaC

danaC New Member

Can the government garnish your disability for student loan payments? I became disabled before I could pay off my loans and I am really concerned? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
  2. brensjoy

brensjoy New Member

i am not sure but i do know they will garnish for back taxes. u can go on line for ssdi and they have a list to show what they r allowed to withhold your ssdi for.
  3. danaC

danaC New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

Check out your student loan papers. Usually on the back of them there will be information about circumstances under which you don't have to pay back the loan. Disability is one.

I had several student loans and was able to defer payment at first, and then had them totally forgiven at some point. I don't remember what kind of documentation was required. I would think your SSDI approval decision would be enough.

Hope this helps.
  5. GRMonLI

GRMonLI New Member

I attempted to have mine stopped after I got my SSD but they said that it was not good enough that I was on SSD and that I would still have to repay even though the Federal Government considers me disabled.
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

My mom had a stafford loan as part of a retraining program. She was on SSDI when she got it, and she does not have to pay it back as long as she continues to be disabled. I think that every few years, she has to get one of her doctors to sign it. They have to say that she is unable to return to gainful employment.

Not so sure about the Government guaranteed loans. I think you should call the Dept of Education and find out what rules they have. You might have to get some forms from them to take to your doctors.

Good luck.

Ingrid