SSDI and working, first timer

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by socialdeviantjeff, Feb 12, 2004.

1. socialdeviantjeff

socialdeviantjeff New Member

Hi. first time post here. Have a lot of questions. For one, is it ok to post across multiple boards here? My issues deal with both depression and CFS.

A little backstory:
    I've been dealing with major psychiatric problems since age 6. In the last 6 years they have worsened, compounded with chronic fatigue with pain. I don't have an official CFS or fibro dx, can't afford a doc. But I do fit the classic symptom profile.

My current psychiatric dx is Atypical Major Depression with psychotic features and dysthemia, Comorbid Generalized Anxiety Disorder and OCD. Had ADHD as a child. I'm also dysgraphic and have Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, delayed-phase type that does not respond to meds. I've been on a long list of drugs (SSRI's TCA's, neuroleptics, antipsychotics, etc.) which I cannot tolerate due to side effects. Every drug has aggravated my cognitive problems, fatigue, mood problems and muscle pain to intolerable heights.

Currently, I can't work more than 20 hours a week. Even that is extraordinarily difficult and I'm constantly delerious after work. It takes a day or two to get rid of the pain and deleterious effects from a 4-8 hour shift. I'm on the blleding edge of being fired for bad job performance. Because of the psych problems and dysgraphia being the least of my issues, getting a job is next to impossible.

Bottom line: I need medical treatment but cannot afford medical treatment and due to the rules in my state (Utah) I am left with one single choice to get treatment: SSDI.

I am planning to apply, but in the meantime I have to keep my job if I can. I have ongoing expenses like child support where people with badges and bad attitudes will take my stuff if I don't pay. For anyone who has had experience with the SSA, just how much will my working have a bearing on the application proccess? I'm planning on hiring an advocate and any info would be helpful.

TIA,

SDJ
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

and still be working part-time, but can not make more than $800/month, I think. This was the rule when I got my SSDI in 2000. However, my sister has a host of illnesses and was working 17 hrs./week and made less than the min. amount of money and was denied.

Be prepared to be denied at least once, and probably twice. It takes most people 2 years to get approved. I was lucky and got approved the first try. And ... after you have been approved, you have to wait one full year before you become eligible for Medicare benefits.

Evidently Utah doesn't have Medicaid or any type of low income clinics, etc. where you can get medical treatment -- that's sad.

When you apply, you will need to list every single detail on why you can NOT work. That's what you have to convince them of. They also want extensive medical records to back up what you say on why you can't work. Have coworkers, supervisors (current or former ones), friends, write letters for you (addressed to "Whom It May Concern" at Social Security Adm.) on how your problems affect your job performance and why they think you should be granted SSDI--tell them it is OK with you for them to make it sound as bad as possible!!!).

After you have turned in your application, r

After you apply, write letters to your local politicians--start with your congressmen. Ask them for help. Attach a copy of your application to your request. Tell them what a financial hardship you are in, you can't work for xxx reasons, can not afford medical care, and really need their help in obtaining SSDI. I have known many people who have done this, and their congressman will send SSA a letter, and they get it shortly thereafter.

Just a little info for you. Good luck!!!