SSDI- but you don't look sick!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

SSDI-I am so scared and feel like I have to fake!!! there is no doubt that I could not hold down a regular job but yet I feel like I have to act like I can barely move in order to win!!! Look, if I could sit at the computer and do work on my own schedule.. moving around.. napping.. etc. then, yes, I can work but getting ready on a daily basis and working - NO WAY not even one or 2 days because then I go into a flare and end up in bed.

I also feel so much stress around people.

My atty sent 10 typed pages of questions to my rheumy, psych, and GP and they are all grousing about doing it!! The one even just told me that he will fill it out but I have to tell him what to put on it.

Is anyone familiar with what SSA is looking for in order to win? I also sent my attny an email with the questioin about what is needed to be put on there because in reality my symptoms can run anywhere from having a wonderful energized normal day ... to ... a day where I would have to stay in bed.

Help me anybody with your advise.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2008]
  2. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I feel the same way you do. I have my good days, which are becoming few and far between, and then my bad days. There is no way I could ever hold down a regular hour job, either.

Good luck with your claim.
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Join the yahoo health group Disinissues.

Lots of stuff in their files section. including advice on how to answer questions.
  4. landra

landra New Member

At the top of the page, there is a colored section of messages - one is on Social Security. Please read it. It is full of information, and was set up so that everyone would have access!!

Most people find they need an attorney somewhere along the way. I am glad you have one helping you to put together your case. for most of us, if we could assemble the case, we could work!! However, Marti won her case without an attorney and what she did is in that thread at the top!! It will really make it clear what is needed.

the questionairre by your doctor is great! And be GLAD that the doctors are willing to have you tell them what to put in - it means they believe you. Some doctors have said clients could do things that the clients did not fieel they could!

Oh one thing that may not be in the Soc.Sec. section is it is often helpful to "track" your symptoms, good days and what you could do and bad days and what you could not! I do that and then give a summary to my cdoctor on our 3-month appts. I would not have realized that one flare lasted 5 weeks if I had not done that.

Be patient. Take care of yurself - that is your main job now.

5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

"I am glad you have one helping you to put together your case. for most of us, if we could assemble the case, we could work!! However, Marti won her case without an attorney and what she did is in that thread at the top!! It will really make it clear what is needed."

Hi Landra,
    Just to be clear, I applied in 2005 but couldn't even fill out the questionnaire. That applicated expired. I applied again in 2006, but since I already had the questionnaire, I had it mostly filled out by the time I applied again.

I applied with the intention of getting an attorney or Allsup (had already been in contact with Allsup). I was actually preparing everything they had asked for which took me about a year, then I reapplied. I figured I had plenty of time to get better medical records and Allsup or an attorney, when I was approved, much to my shock and delight. I was approved on two diagnoses.

Then, it took me two years to get my head on straight to try to figure out what I did.

So, what appears to be an effortless case, took 1 year beforehand to stumble through and two years after to document (because I now have Medicare, I have started some treatments so I am better cogntiviely).

Personally, it seems that you have to do the same amount of work whether you go with an attorney or not. You have to create a list of doctors (how does your attorney know who you have seen?), you have to fill out the questionnaire (how the does attorney know what you cannot do anymore?).

I hope that the information I provided (which took two years to put down on paper) can help someone shave off some of that time.

6. tandy

tandy New Member

When I went before the judge,... I spoke of my worse days when describing my pain, and my limitations.

I told the judge flat out that if I were to try to go back to work I'd need a pretty darn understanding boss
    that would allow me missing at least 1-2 days a week.
    (cause I know I'd be calling in that much or more!!)

Wishing you Luck~
    you can get it. be persistant/honest,
  7. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thank you everyone. As always you have come to my rescue and helped me to feel 'normal' if that is going to be the word that meets the description of us 'sickies' (ha!!).

I found a really good psych that is helping me through a lot but I am still extremely nervous about going to see my rheumy next week to fill out the paperwork. I know that I have to be patient but this is just sickening what the SSA will put you through. I have to stay with this because I can't even work part-time!
  8. homesheba

homesheba New Member

because i dont 'look' sick, i also felt-( feel,)
    like i have to look 'like i feel-'miserable....
    in order for anyone to believe me!!
    isnt it terrible??
  9. calzy

calzy New Member

When you are in front of the judge or filling out an application...just imagine your WORST day ever and go there in your mind. Thats not fake!

BILLCAMO New Member

Remember , this is not a job interview , this is a hearing that is supposed to be looking for the truth. It's not a case of trying to put your best foot forward.

The advice I received from my lawyer was not to rest up for the hearing and just behave as I do on most of not so good days. That was easy since the stress had me pretty much down and I was having a fairly down day. And , that was the truth.

Yes , I almost fell on my face.....or backwards ..... but that was the truth also.

During the hearing , I did fidget , stand , lean , and move as I did on my normal days. I just can't find a spot that was "comfortable" for very long.

I also told the judge another truthful fact....."If I was my own boss , I'd fire myself in less than 1/2 day".

I want to be able to work , but , the truth is I can't. A very difficult fact for me to swallow and accept , but again , the truth.

Why would I choose to try to survive on less than half than I made when I was able to work ? The truth is it's not my choice......

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  11. Honora88

Honora88 Member

and haven't given up hope, she refused to sign my papers.

LISALOO New Member

Honestly, if drs don't want to fill out the paperwrok, tell them you will pay for their time. The first time I got denied, nothing from drs. The 2nd time a lawyer for free gave me a set of forms for the dr to fill out. I paid $250 for the drs time, and believe it was that that got it approved.

Yes the $250 sucked, but I never needed a lawyer, so I saved thousands.

Make sure you tell them what you worse day is like. What is the maximum you can do on your worst day.
  13. momof471

momof471 New Member

to do the paper work as if it is your worst day. Ask your attorney for specifics he would like the doctor to put on the forms, or in a narrative letter, it does help to offer to pay for their time.

In all of this remember to be who you are. When I saw the judge, I let him know, I do volunteer work when I can and that I have a lot of doctor's I see regularly to stay on top of things.

This does not mean I am fit to work, but show's I am trying.

God Bless