ssdi check-have questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rmc20021, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

I was approved for my ssdi a couple months ago and never heard anything else afterwards. Yesterday, I got a check for the back pay in the mail for much, much less than what I expected...like about half. I read on here once before that they mailed someones dependant check separate from their own for the lump payment. Is this true, and could I have gotten the dependent check first??? Please, please respond if anyone has had this. Thanks so much for reading and replying.
  2. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

I live in PA and was specifically told if my back-pay went over a certain amount (I think $6,000) it would be delivered in two separate checks. Maybe this is the case with you—might be state by state rules.
    -Carrie
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

congratulations to the world of the ssa...

first they take out of your personal funds like 25% and with hold it for attorney fees...mine the with held like 5800....i just got the letter last week that they took that out of my lump sum back pay....well i didn't use an attorney so i presume i will be getting that shortly released....

now what you need to do becaue they don't tell you this in a letter or anything...you need to go to your local office and set up for direct deposit or mailed check service for payment...then they have you fill out papers telling you how you have to account for all of your money you spend out of your childs funds for ssdi...

they recc...direct deposit for your child then you can give them a bank stament i beleive...but from my understanding you can use that money for like a car to drive him to and from school, food, rent...etc...maybe for his sports educcation...clothing...

but you must contact the office cause they can not start any of it with out your signature....and they won't call up and tell you need to either...we are mind readers....

i was approved an ssdi closed case 7/08/04 got my back pay 1/20/05....then i had to plead with them for money they owed me for my son...i got i all final 11-3-05...

now i have a current status ssdi, i refiled...won the first try, used no! attorney...i filed 2-20-05...that case got hing up becaue of the closed above case because they had not release payment for cody...so finally i saw the ssa dr's again 7/30/5....got approved 9/15/05....got my money 12-01-05, acutually a few days earlier....

now i am awating the attorney money that was never used for...and they owe me for my son yet...so that is from 10-01-05...

you have to stay on them and you may need to plead that you are not getting child support now and can't make your rent...contact your congressman's office call them...tell them your story and they will send off papers for you to sign so they can release the funds sooner...

that is all my advice... and no they do not pay dependant first you first....

just they way they do things..

jodie