SSDI Doctor Appt.- anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jbopooh, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jbopooh

jbopooh New Member

It does seem SSDI has a different method for everyone- I applied over 90 days ago(short time I'm sure to a lot of you)- I haven't worked since Jan. this year-I filed for short & long term disability with my company's disability co. & lost both- 2 denials, lost my job after FMLA ran out- my attorney suggested not appealing & told me I should apply for SSDI -I had all my medical records- 3 doctors confirming FM, I'm 45 & I've always had a steady job record back to 16 yrs. old- SSDI haven't contacted any of my Dr.'s, family, work, etc.
    Now at the end of this month, SSDI scheduled an appt. for me with 1 of their Dr.'s.
    Will this Dr. (who has never seen me before) hold my fate in his hands? Or is this just the beginning?
    Please share your experience with SSDI Dr.

Thanks!
    Janet
  2. lana33

lana33 New Member

Sounds like my case. I had to see 3 of their docs at different times and then was approved in 6 months.

I am not claiming to know a lot about ssdi cause I don't but for your sake hope it goes like mine did.

I had good documentation but did not have either one of my docs say anything directly about if I needed disability or not.

I was very surprised and thankful not to have to go thru that again.

Good luck.

Hugs,
    Lana
  3. DellaMae

DellaMae New Member

I had to go in for a mental exam that social security set up. He took pics of me and had me to do some really simple test to see if I could concentrate, if I knew my colors, numbers, and if I could read and write. He asked me all kinds of questions and was taping every word I said, so I was a bit apprehensive. He finally told me that I would be getting my benefits because what he wrote in his report would be all I needed. 2 weeks later I was denied.

I went to another mental exam by a different doctor set up by social security. I had just been to my oldest brother's funeral and I was in bad shape. She told me that I had some serious depression problems and that she was writing things that would assure that I get disability. About a month later, I was denied, again.

They have every medical record that I know of and letters from friends, family, and co-workers who know my condition and how it affects everything I try to do. None of those seemed to help, as I was denied over and over again. I had been denied 4 times....so I gave up.

In 2004, I tried again and it's been over a year now, and I have been denied twice again....and have been to another mental exam and also a physical exam where the doc told me that I had lupus. None of what they said seemed to matter to social security review folks.

I am waiting for the judge to pull my files and make an on the record decision.

Go to the doctors they send you to... and cooperate with them in any way you can. Good Luck!!

DellaMae
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is just another doc's opinion. SS's own doc told them I had some kind of fatigue disorder. Don't worry; just go and do the exam. It may seem as though it's not much of an exam. Mine wasn't. Just be sure to have all your own docs' documentation. Good luck.

Love, Mikie