SSDI Exams

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skippy007, Mar 29, 2007.

1. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

Internist exam tomorrow - what can I expect? what should I ask him? What are my rights? Do these docs know anything about me prior to the exam?
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

You can expect a normal exam like your own GP would do -- listen to your heart, take your blood pressure, etc.

The only thing he/she knows about you prior to the exam is that he/she has a copy of your completed SSDI application stating what your medical problems are.

The doc on my exam sat down with me and went over everything I had listed in my application and I explained everything to him.

The only thing you need to ask are questions that you may have to his comments.

Don't worry about "your rights" -- I really don't know what you mean about this statement.

Don't get too nervous about your exam .... just make sure you bring up ALL of your medical complaints ... especially those that you are filing for and explain HOW they affect you and your ability NOT to be able to hold down a full-time job.

Good Luck!!!

Hugs,
    jlh

PS It might be helpful to give the doc examples on how your fatigue is so dibilitating that you have to sit down and rest for 15 min. after carrying a laundry basket from one room to your washer, for example -- stuff like that. Give the doc examples on how your quality of life has gone downhill, etc. The main thing that the doc is there for is to see if he agrees with your reasons on why you are no longer able to work an 8-hr. day. You need to convince the doc of that!

I am also in the "Over 50" crowd and started on SSDI one year after I took early retirement due to my poor health -- after 30+ years of full-time employment.[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]
  3. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

In some of these posts, I have read where what the patient and doctor discussed or was stated at the time of the exam was restated differently in the doctors report to SSDI. I have not asked for a copy of my file yet from SSDI and maybe after this appt it will be a good time to do so. Appreciate your feedback !