SSDI Hearing in Dec and still no attorney???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puffy1, Nov 6, 2006.

1. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

Ok I am totaly upset and in tears.

I have a hearing date onDec 12th and I still do not have an attorney to represent me is this going to be a real problem?

The Attorney I have been talking to is saying I still do not have enough evidence to win my case That I need to get into see another rhuematologist other than the one I have had in the past.

But my current doc has not referred me to him yet only to physical therapy. I have an apt with an orthopedist but this lawyer says he well not be very helpful to me.

I don't know what to do, the lawyer told me to go to the hearing and have them postpone till nest year when I have more evidence.

Should I do that or should I just take my chances? and go it alone without an attorney? I know some of you have said I don't need an attorney to get my Claim but I have heard both ways. I am so upset right now I want to forget the whole dang thing.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

perhaps you could consult another attorney for a second opinion?

Here's a bump, perhaps someone has had experience with this...

good luck!

3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

there is always the next round anyway.just keep on appealing good luck honey charlene
  4. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

Thank you all for your input,

I did call anothier lawyer I called a number that was on that web site I got form someone here yesterday

http://www.nosscr.org/ they gave me a couple of names of atterneys that live are close to me I hav an appt with one of them tommorow Wen the 8th. She told me to bring in all my meical papers and my SSI papaers so she can look at them.

The last lawyer never wanted any of that. also I did see a rehumatologist for over a year butIhave no insurace and I did not feel like he was doing anything for me.

so I did not go to him for a year then I went back to him and now he does not think he can help me any more and unless the orthopdeist refers me back to him, he said he well not schedual any more apt for me.

My new Doc was unaware untill recently that I had even applied to SSI I don't think I have been seeing him long enough for him to make call like that but I did ask for copies of any thing they can give me.
  5. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I too have been diagnosed with fibro and polymyalgia and mild degenerative disc desease. How ever My primary care doctor at the time diagnosed me with the polymyalgia.

The the rehumatologist told me I didn't have that now my new Doc is leaning toward that again. I hope he does not send me back the old rehumatologist.
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi, I won my case with my attorney who was very smart and helpful. She gave me a long, detailed questionnarie to be filled out by my doctor. I really did all my homework and I went over the whole thing with my doctor while he filled it out. If I hadn't been there, he would have left a lot of the sillier questions unanswered. Then, there was another questionnaire for me. Not just why I couldn't work but exactly why: couldn't stand, couldn't sit, couldn't lift my arms, etc. Then you have your medical records where you document how you have complained of these symptoms to your doctor. Get from SSA disability the exact defintions and symptoms for your particular disease. All the symptoms that are listed that you have, you tell your doctor and ask him to document them all in his paperwork. These symptoms in your medical records and the doctor's answers to the questionnaire were all sent to the judge and then when I went to my hearing, he asked me a bunch of questions. There were no nasty surprises for me thanks to my attorney; she told me what to do to be prepared. Your attorney should be able to tell you what judge is more likely to give you a favorable decision and other pointers. If he/she isn't doing these things, get another one. You may still have time but I don't know if it's worse to postpone a hearing or lose your case. Call some attorneys out of the yellow pages and ask them.
  7. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I well let you know how it goes today my appt is 11:00 hopefully she well give me a questionair to have my doctor fill out. I well try to rmember to ask about it I am very intimidated by profesional people and I often find myself not being able to say much.

So say a little prayer for me ok.

Puffy
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm unclear as to if this hearing is the one that is be-
    fore an Adminstrative Law Judge or one of those initial
    hearings that one has the option of attending personally
    or not?

Prior to my hearing before the Admin. Law Judge I used
    the option to have it posponed in order to better pre-
    pare my case. That may also be an option for you.

Hope this is a helpful thought!

Best Wishes,
    JOE
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  9. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

This well be my first hearing have no idea what kind of judge it is I just know it says the name of the judge I well be going before.

do people normaly get turned down at the first hearing?

My brother in law had 3 hearings and he was blind they kept telling him he could still work he finaly told them to find him a job if they thoght that. They gave him his money instead. But it took three hearings to do it.
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

In my packet for the notification of the ALJ hearing
    date, there was contained a request to contact them con-
    cerning any justifiable need to re-schedule the Hearing
    date. If you feel unprepared I would suggest that you
    contact them by mail or by telephone and take advantage
    of a delay. I won my case without an Lawyer but would
    not recommend it to others. It could have easily gone
    NOT in my favor. Build documention for your case.

It seems that they care less about what you illness is
    than as to why that illness(S) interfere with you ability
    to perform in the workplace! Get back with me (MRDAD)
    if I can in, my limited capacity, be of any help.

Best of Wishes,
    MRDAD aka Joe
  11. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

thank you I well most certainly get back to you. I fully understand that they want to know why the illness keeps me from working outside the home.

But as I was just discussing with my husband I am not quite sure I well be able to answer the questions accuratley since I am not a very good speaker and offten get toungh tied.

I know what to expect I am just not sure I well be able to talk and have it come out right I know I am going to tell the truth no matter what.

puffy1