SSDI - How do you manage to live on it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

If I were to get SSDI today I would get $1000 a month. There is no way in he** that I can live on that.

How do you all do it?
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Hi, I appreciate these suggestions! Renting part of my home would be a great help.

Can you give me some idea of which agencies help one find roomates who match our qualifications?

Thank you, **LdyM
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Imagine this...

Because of my illnesses, my last 10 year work history was the bare bones minumum...Maximum that I could perform but minimum as far as paying into SS...

I am currently fighting for my SSDI which would give me $398.00 per month...

Now what do I do with that???

Phooey on this system,I am better off selling pencils on the corner...

My parents were both disabled living on SSDI and tried hard to raise 3 kids...We eventually lost our house and the family fell apart too...

Moral of the story...Doesn't pay to be disabled, that's for sure!
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

great info..

s far as rent there is a section 8 voucher available to disabled and seniors and families...usuallly a waitin g list...feds are trying to cut back...

i am on that list and once i do recive mine i will need to pay 30% of my income and how ever they caculate it...

if you don't have children there are other disabled housing available...

check into your local housing authority thatis all i can say....

my ssdi is 852 a month plus whatever they will be givingme for my child who will be 18 in two years and from what i understand that will stop on his b-day...oh well

we have to be resourceful...
    jodie
  5. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I had to make new rules for myself since living on SSDI-if I need anything first I check the Dollar Store to see if they have it and if not I
    go to the Goodwill or some other thrift shop, I very rarely buy stuff anywhere else.
    The only time I eat out is to go to Taco Bell every couple of months and buy a 99 cent burrito, or meet my friend at Starbucks for a plain coffee for $1.25
    I get $10.00 a month from food stamps and I'm on a waiting list for section 8 housing allowance.
    my car is 22 yrs old and paid for and the ins. is very low.
    My entertainment is mostly t.v. and the library.
    I go to a chronic illness class at my church and enjoy other church functions also.
    It might sound like a boring life but I'm quite happy with it. :)
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm impresed that you are all willing to tell your stories and sad because things have to be the way they are.

My biggest fear is that of losing my house. I love my little house. It is one bedroom and very small. I have a big yard and for the most part pretty good neighbors.

I'm not even able to pay my bills while working.

This is truly horrible for us... talk about added stress!
    Tigger
  7. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I lost my SSDI and an now forced to live on SSI.I do get child support but it still is not enough to pay all my monthly bills.Sure I get Section 8,fuel assistance(doesn't even cover more than a month's worth of gas/electricity)and I go to the food pantry(which is a disgusting/humiliating experience and 85% of the stuff sucks.How many cans of pork and beans can you eat,let alone venison burger and hot dogs?Need more variety.Once my son no longer gets child support,I will be lving in a cardboard box on the street. Pathetic. I worked over 35 yrs.Not my fault I am disabled. When I was fighting for disability,I had NO income,then when I was being divorced,I had to live on $376 per month for 3 yrs. Pathetic.